Finance

angieram

2 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

We can be moralistic about it now . But when we were told Mel was running the club in tandem with the Sheikh , I can’t remember many fans being up in arms . Also there weren’t many tears when £30 mills worth of tax ( taken from staff wages) for schools and hospitals , went missing. I understand what you are saying , but we have short memories .

Not sure about short memories, (I was unhappy about both the things you stated and said so) but some people clearly don't care, and are happy to divorce "the game" element from the "reality" element of football club ownership. Their prerogative I guess

23 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Actually he had $25 million in his personal account, the problem was it wasn’t his.

Perhaps so, but that's not really enough to pass proper financial scrutiny. Quantuma weren't doing their job properly and that was perhaps down to Kirchner being the least unlikely bid on the table.  

On 26/01/2024 at 09:19, CBRammette said:

I think you're being generous. Under anti-money laundering checks you have to ensure you know source of funds not just that someone has funds. People on here and twitter were saying it didnt stack up that that company and he had those funds available from the start. He didnt appear to be but must have been a more sophisticated fraudster than he looked to satisfy AML checks that presumably Goldman Sachs, Quantuma etc used. I think everyone was just so desperate for someone to buy us as they were so under pressure. 
anyway never mind bullet but huge nuclear bomb dodged. I shudder when I think what position club would be in if he had somehow made those funds transfer. 

That's all well and good CB, But when do we get our fcuking coat back 😁

On 26/01/2024 at 11:41, Tamworthram said:

Nah. The deal would NEVER have been completed as the funds would still be held up by AML checks to this day (allegedly). Hell would have frozen over or we'd all be using crypto (sorry @NottsRam77. I couldn't resist) before the money arrived 😀 

Well played sir lol 

• 4 weeks later...

The Prem and The EFL are meeting to agree the handouts for the coming 6years . The Prem are offering £900 million . In return they want rule changes to help the Big Top Six. Looks like we could get stitched up as the EFL clubs are desperate for cash . £150 mill a year will seem like peanuts in 6 years time .

5 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

The Prem and The EFL are meeting to agree the handouts for the coming 6years . The Prem are offering £900 million . In return they want rule changes to help the Big Top Six. Looks like we could get stitched up as the EFL clubs are desperate for cash . £150 mill a year will seem like peanuts in 6 years time .

What is the £150m a year for? EFL clubs currently get somewhere between £230m (21/22) and £370m (18/19) heavily weighed in favour of the parachute clubs

38 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Are the rules changes 

No relegated for the Top Six

A pick of all the other clubs academies at minimal cost  

The Top 6 clubs do need to be careful if clubs start to disappear it will reduce the popularity of the game as a whole, a league of just six teams doesn’t feel very attractive.

5 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

Are the rules changes 

No relegated for the Top Six

A pick of all the other clubs academies at minimal cost  

The Top 6 clubs do need to be careful if clubs start to disappear it will reduce the popularity of the game as a whole, a league of just six teams doesn’t feel very attractive.

I almost wish the Super League had happened and the domestic leagues had refused to have anything to do with the 'big 6' ever again.....

17 minutes ago, angieram said:

Read this. 

In exchange for the cash, the EPL want to limit spending of EFL Clubs.

Bear in mind the EFL allow recently relegated clubs to spend 75% of revenue on wages whilst all others are limited to 60% in League 1. It's perhaps a bit hypocritcal of them to be against it at a different level of the pyramid.

There should be more control over what parachute payment can be spent on though - such as just the legacy contracts prior to relegation, which is what they were introduced for

Edited by Ghost of Clough

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

Bare in mind the EFL allow recently relegated clubs to spend 75% of revenue on wages whilst all others are limited to 60% in League 1. It's perhaps a bit hypocritcal of them to be against it at a different level of the pyramid.

There should be more control over what parachute payment can be spent on though - such as just the legacy contracts prior to relegation, which is what they were introduced for

I'd do away with parachute payments altogether!

4 hours ago, Gaspode said:

I almost wish the Super League had happened and the domestic leagues had refused to have anything to do with the 'big 6' ever again.....

The big 6 are so wrapped up in their pursuit of money and success they have completely lost sight of wider issues of football as a whole. The big 6 maybe at the top of the Pyramid but it’s the foundations of the pyramid, by this I mean the lower league teams and their supporters, that actually provide the Big 6 with their lofty position.

The Big 6 and the Premiership need to look after lower league football if they fail to do this the grass roots of football, as we know it,  may just fade away.

Perhaps that will not be such a bad outcome and we can get back to using coats and jumpers as goalposts. When I look at the local parks I don’t see the 20 a side “kick about”games that used to be very common in the 1960s, it could be that footballs demise has already started?

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

4 hours ago, Gaspode said:

It tends to be the clubs outside of the top six who vote for more restrictions on EFL clubs. They want to pull up that drawbridge as much as possible.