Max Bird - stay or go?

dcfcjj

32 minutes ago, inter politics said:

So bored of people questioning him and Hourihane. At this level, both quality at what they do.

I do think Hourihane is a bit of a liability without the ball. Sometimes he’s so slow I actually say wow. Given the naff opposition we come up against in this league, however, we often get away with letting unmarked players break into the box so it’s probably worth having him in for his in swinging corners 

Bird is top drawer. 

1 hour ago, Jram said:

I do think Hourihane is a bit of a liability without the ball. Sometimes he’s so slow I actually say wow. Given the naff opposition we come up against in this league, however, we often get away with letting unmarked players break into the box so it’s probably worth having him in for his in swinging corners 

Bird is top drawer. 

I agree but chances created from Hourihane balances that out

On 06/01/2024 at 14:35, sage said:

Passenger again I see 

😄

No one said he couldnt do it, its the consistency alot of people go on about. He had a great game yes does he do it every week not to that level

7 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

No one said he couldnt do it, its the consistency alot of people go on about. He had a great game yes does he do it every week not to that level

He is one of our top 6 players on the player ratings.

He is having an ok season. Not great but ok.

Not a passenger 

On 06/01/2024 at 15:51, Jram said:

Bird is top drawer. 

Are you implying that he's in the team just to swing his balls into the box?

@hintonsboots, over to you I think......

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Not just that, he’s an excellent football player. Physically though, I think there’s something wrong with him which means he can barely run

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Is there any evidence that Hourihane was once as quick as Linford Christie ? People keep saying his legs have gone. Would love to see his running stats, perhaps he never was that quick ?

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, jimtastic56 said:

Now Bird is a Bristol City player - how motivated is he going to be ? He is not known for his tackling but he would not want a serious injury before the end of the season . The first 50/50 should give us some idea . 

He is more likely to tackle now his future and his salary is sorted than if it got to the end of the season with no contract sorted. Ill-thought out argument.

On 07/01/2024 at 09:48, jimtastic56 said:

Max has 2 goals v The Cobblers and 2 assists v The Cods , which is good . But we need him to “Show up” against better opposition . 

It's almost like he has to do more defensive work against better opponents 

I think there is an outdated view of football at times on this forum.The opinion that defensive work is all about tackling. Who can do the biggest, hardest tackles.

Good players tackle less but intercept more, anticipate more, read the game.

The main reason we don't pick up second balls in midfield is lack of pace or numbers, not lack of courage.The number of full on 50/50 tackles now is far outweighed by interceptions and people nicking the ball away.

In the English game every time we get a midfield player with skill we want them to play further forward and leave the area in front of centre backs to cloggers.

This is why we will never find a Pirlo in English football and why we struggle to win major tournaments as we can't control games. 

3 minutes ago, sage said:

I think there is an outdated view of football at times on this forum.The opinion that defensive work is all about tackling. Who can do the biggest, hardest tackles.

Good players tackle less but intercept more, anticipate more, read the game.

The main reason we don't pick up second balls in midfield is lack of pace or numbers, not lack of courage.The number of full on 50/50 tackles now is far outweighed by interceptions and people nicking the ball away.

In the English game every time we get a midfield player with skill we want them to play further forward and leave the area in front of centre backs to cloggers.

This is why we will never find a Pirlo in English football and why we struggle to win major tournaments as we can't control games. 

Yeah but we need a Eustace

/s

20 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Max Bird has put out a statement saying “ Ashton Gate is a great stadium and always rocking “. Really Max ? At least he didn’t say   “It was a No -Brainer “.

He’s just trying to make the right noises in order to ingratiate himself with the Bristol City fans.

On 07/01/2024 at 19:05, sage said:

He is one of our top 6 players on the player ratings.

He is having an ok season. Not great but ok.

Not a passenger 

Yes i would of said about 6th, but 6th isnt our best or have i got my maths wrong?