Max Bird - stay or go?

dcfcjj

I personally think he's better playing deeper in a two or as part of a three that has some real bite. I've said for ages we need a Eustace type player to allow Bird and others to focus on what they're best at.

Everyone has a price but I would be holding out to keep him. He can knit things together and has a really good appreciation for finding space and movement.

With the personnel we have, I think we have to play 3 in the middle against better sides as Hourihane and Bird are not quick or tough enough to combat pace and runners.

6 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

What does he do?

He seems to play safe, keeps the ball well but could do so much more and at times it is somewhat frustrating because he is a quality player at this level. When he started at a very young age I hoped he could be compared to other young quality players of a not so distant past ie Will Hughes or gorgeous George,  sadly it has not really happened.

I don't really think it's clear what his best role is. His record of goals and assists is quite poor and he's not a holding type player.

I like him and he does show glimpses of something but I've always been bemused as to how he is quite so highly rated, especially as you'd expect him to be ripping this league up if he's as good as some make out. In my opinion he's another player whose rating is given a boost by virtue of him being an Academy graduate.

I'm not averse to the idea of selling or keeping him. 

Technically, I think Bird is one of the best players in the squad. He does seem to lack ambition though on the pitch. I think, with his ability, he’s never going to be far from getting really good numbers but it just keeps not happening. Reminds me of Hughes a bit. 

Good player who if we’re honest probably needs to be playing in the Championship for his own good as he’s stagnated.

I don’t think he is helped by the role he plays, which isn’t a dig at Warne before anyone starts. But I think he looks worse now than playing in an average team in the league above when he was 18. He should be the man controlling games for us in my opinion. 

Interesting debate, however I'd keep him based on I doubt we'd get much for him and for me he is more than capable at this level. 

Thought the game today was more made for Sibley, wide spaces however he didn't make the most of it imo. Another one though that I don't think there will be many waiting to splash the cash on and as they have both come up through the ranks so worth keeping hold off just for that 😊

2 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Good player who if we’re honest probably needs to be playing in the Championship for his own good as he’s stagnated.

I don’t think he is helped by the role he plays, which isn’t a dig at Warne before anyone starts. But I think he looks worse now than playing in an average team in the league above when he was 18. He should be the man controlling games for us in my opinion. 

Championship? He’s out played in league 1 more than not?

4 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

I don't really think it's clear what his best role is. His record of goals and assists is quite poor and he's not a holding type player.

I like him and he does show glimpses of something but I've always been bemused as to how he is quite so highly rated, especially as you'd expect him to be ripping this league up if he's as good as some make out. In my opinion he's another player whose rating is given a boost by virtue of him being an Academy graduate.

I'm not averse to the idea of selling or keeping him. 

A central midfielder is a central midfielder. All the talk about bird is for the last 2 years is he’s not effective because of the system, he’s playing too deep, he’s playing too further forward, who he’s playing with?

maybe he’s just not that good 

Thought he had a few quiet games after being excellent when he first returned from injury but has just started playing well again. Really miss him when he's not there, two footed, great passer and works really hard. Be very disappointed when he eventually leaves, but I certainly wouldn't sell him. 

Every player has their price, but he’s been an important part of the team.

People calling for this player, or that player to be got rid of or sold, would do well to consider the implications, if his replacement wasn’t an improvement, or turned out to be less effective. 

6 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Shame you didn’t bother to read the rest of it. It wasn’t a very long post really. 

No I do agree with what the rest of your post says. But what’s his best role that’s the conundrum for the last 2 seasons. Can’t he just be better than his opposing central midfielder which especially when we play the slightly better sides he is not. 

My opinion for what it's worth is Max needs to leave us to become a better footballer,he has the attributes but I can't think of one youngster who has improved under the current manager and his coaches