Max Bird - stay or go?

dcfcjj

2 minutes ago, dcfcjj said:

Personally, if we got 2-3 million for Bird in this window I’d snap their hand off and take it. We could buy a good replacement with that money, and someone who fits the role which we need better than Bird.

Sell u dont think you will get that sirt of money for him, think we would be lucky to get 1.5m i think he would go for about a 750,000 to million 

I’d sell him. Didn’t think he was that great in the last home game either. The issue is if we can get a better player to replace him…

Peterborough aren’t the only team to run through our midfield. 

I like bird but I don’t think he is dominating games as I hoped he would. 

If the offer is right - £2m plus-  I'd sell.   Nothing against Bird but we need to keep an eye on the longer game and we will need to restructure in the Summer and that can't be another group of free transfers.   That means selling at the right time something we've been poor at in the past. 

Bird has a couple of really good games a season but thats it. Doesnt control the game from deep, not a very good tackler, not really a box to box midfielder & doesnt score all that many. After all his appearances I still dont think anyone has a clue what Max's best position actually is. I think with him being an academy player he gets more grace from fans, if he had signed last summer under Rosenior fans would say he was a poor signing.

If we got over £2m for him id snap your hands off. Much better centre mids out there imo, Randall & Kyprianou today & Branagan just from recent games.

18 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Sell u dont think you will get that sirt of money for him, think we would be lucky to get 1.5m i think he would go for about a 750,000 to million 

£500k would seem about right . We need a player that can tackle in midfield . Max didn’t even take on the dead ball duties after Hourihane went off . Don’t get me started on his goals and assists numbers !  ( we are talking tier 3 remember).

5 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

£500k would seem about right . We need a player that can tackle in midfield . Max didn’t even take on the dead ball duties after Hourihane went off . Don’t get me started on his goals and assists numbers !  ( we are talking tier 3 remember).

I totally agree i think we would get more in compo then achually selling him

18 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

I’d sell him. Didn’t think he was that great in the last home game either. The issue is if we can get a better player to replace him…

Peterborough aren’t the only team to run through our midfield. 

I like bird but I don’t think he is dominating games as I hoped he would. 

It's hard to dominate in a 2 with hourihane against 3 athletic CMs.

Please don’t blow this out of all proportion but I think It’s interesting that Thompson got 45 today when he wasn’t ready for that and Cashin was given the armband. Not saying that defo means that Bird is on the way but it’s just two things you can pull out of the sky if you really wanted to.

Saying that I do think it’s time we need to be able to give Thompson more game time, and Fornah to some extent. Also Bird needs to play at yheIf we sold Bird and the money was then reinvested into our strike force then I’d see that as a good move. It’s also worth maybe pointing out that I think Bird ready to push that next level, like Knight was.

A Derby side with Bird in might mean an extra 4-5 points this season, if selling Bird means we have a strike force of Collins, John-Jules and ,for arguments sake, Lapado* than that could be 7-10

*Not forgetting Waggy and Wash who are more than capable of picking up important goals when called upon

Edited by TuffLuff

12 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I said this on another thread the other day, would much rather keep Bird and find him a new midfield partner. Not a slight against Hourihane either, I think he continues to contribute in ways, but would like someone younger with pace and power alongside Bird. 

I assume Fornah should fit that equation.  He's pedestrian either way.  

Sell if we're determined to carry on with the midfield 'balance' we currently have because he's not having enough impact being played further forward, and isn't instinctively attacking enough or consistent enough in his shooting to lead our breakaways.

There are times where it looks like playing him further forward has unlocked his potential but they're still outnumbered by the times the role doesn't seem to suit him and you're crying out for him to add some control from a deeper position.

My opinion of the player himself doesn't matter all that much (it would always be a keep) but  I'm more interested in what's best for them and best for us under whatever the current regime is.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

9 minutes ago, sage said:

It's hard to dominate in a 2 with hourihane against 3 athletic CMs.

But not every team sets up like that.  He’s been ok this season. But he’s been no better than that. 

He’s a good bloke but I had hoped he was going to be better this season. If he stays I hope he does come good. 

Bird is still a good player at this level - really don’t get the hate from an (admittedly small) group of supporters for him. He very rarely makes mistakes, which is something that can’t be said for many of our players. 

I think you’d be lucky to get £3m for Bird in League One with 6 months left on his contract. You wouldn’t get a better player (in the same age bracket) for that money in my view.