Max Bird - stay or go?

dcfcjj

7 minutes ago, dantheram said:

I can’t help but feel this is a bit short-termist from knight and bird. But accept that a footballer’s career is also very short. 

it’s entirely possible we’re back alongside them next season, given they seem to be only battling Preston for title of most consistently mid-table, I’m not sure it’s the right destination. 

Sometimes people just need a change of scenery and decide to move jobs, especially after the company they work for goes throigh a turbulent period and/or several of your closest colleagues have moved on. A pay increase may keep you happy for a while, but it wouldn't be long until you feel you need a change again.

It's no different for a footballer.

Bird is one of them players who really annoy me at times. We all know what he is capable of but, more often then not doesn't produce. Knight was mentioned earlier and his problem was that he didn't have a designated position.  Bird is similar in a way where he is being played out of position.  His performance yesterday was one of his best recently due to the fact that he had Adams behind him. When he is asked along with hourihane to do more of the defensive work it doesn't come naturally therefore allowing players to find space or simply running past him.

When it was announced he was leaving and then being loaned back, I didn't want him back. He has shown what a good professional he is with his performance yesterday. 

Lead us to promotion Max.

3 hours ago, Donegal Ram said:

Bird is one of them players who really annoy me at times. We all know what he is capable of but, more often then not doesn't produce. Knight was mentioned earlier and his problem was that he didn't have a designated position.  Bird is similar in a way where he is being played out of position.  His performance yesterday was one of his best recently due to the fact that he had Adams behind him. When he is asked along with hourihane to do more of the defensive work it doesn't come naturally therefore allowing players to find space or simply running past him.

When it was announced he was leaving and then being loaned back, I didn't want him back. He has shown what a good professional he is with his performance yesterday. 

Lead us to promotion Max.

Sibley has been stunted in his development through playing just about every position but his preferred one. 

• 2 months later...

Best of luck Max, but what a waste of his talent going a perpetually mediocre, permanently mid table club like Bristol City. Every season is the same there; a little bit of hope and a sniff of the top six then…nothing but dead rubber games at the tail end of the season. Shame.

I wonder if he had the decision to make now, whether he’d still go? He might have wanted a fresh start no matter what, but Bristol City now looks like nothing more than a sidewards step.

If we get the recruitment right then we should be able to finish above teams like Bristol City.

33 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I wonder if he had the decision to make now, whether he’d still go? He might have wanted a fresh start no matter what, but Bristol City now looks like nothing more than a sidewards step.

If we get the recruitment right then we should be able to finish above teams like Bristol City.

Yeah, bit of a head-scratcher for sure.

Unless Bristol were offering astronomical wages, or he just thought their play style was a better match, it would probably have made more sense to wait until the season's over.

Who knows maybe Mr Knight used a bit of persuasion. Either way going to miss this kid, proved the doubters that he wouldn’t be playing with his heart after signing for Bristol City in January, and although he missed a lot of games he scores in the one where it mattered most and got us back up to the Championship! Good luck Birdy🖤🤍

It made sense at the time, probably less so now but such is life. A few months ago we were Bristol city's definite inferior, we had no guarantees of playing in the Championship and Bird was offered Championship football (and probably wages) as a 100%, not a coin flip possibility. A club of our size, even newly promoted, should be at least on par with a club like Bristol City now so he is obviously no longer taking a step up. I'd like to think, well run, City are not an equal to us so its our job to now prove he made the wrong call, no love lost but plenty of mutual respect. Thank-you Bird for all your contribution, and I hope and expect he will get a very warm reception whenever he plays Derby.

On 27/04/2024 at 21:37, jono said:

I think Sibs has developed tremendously over the last half of this season. 

Indeed he has and I see LWB/LB as his future. Just a shame we'll never know what might have been had he been given a run at #10 to see how he developed in his favourite position.