Max Bird - stay or go?

dcfcjj

I don’t think it’s an issue about one player or the other it’s about balance and from day one Bird and Hourahan together haven’t looked right and they definitely need a third person in there. They are both on contracts that expire in the summer anyway so it will be resolved soon enough and we need them currently anyway. When you look at who warne has brought into midfield - White, Fornah Embleton - none of them looked any better and definitely not better options than Tompson and Sibley - for me Fornah is a big disappointment as he just ambles around and looks and plays in a half hearted way and that is why he gets pulled off at half time and loses a spot on a 7 man bench - I really don’t think he will be with us long if we can move him elsewhere. 

It’s telling that when, on the rare occasion, we make a simple triangle of passes in midfield it draws a ripple of applause from our crowd. If we our midfield played like Peterborough’s, the crowd would have really up for it. Whereas the Peterborough fans seemed to see some of their play through the thirds as “ordinary”. We really don’t seem to know what to do with the ball in the midfield. We have very little movement off the ball. Even simple movement. I assume we are not training for this. The amount of times our midfield manage to put the ball in the air at knee or chest height after a couple of passes is infuriating. 

5 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Who?

Whourihane?! 😄 We looked worse without him. He's doing as asked - there was one particular moment when he got the ball about 10 yards from the side/edge of the box and no defender outside the box, instead of bringing the ball forward and/or shooting he shuffled it out to the wing to NML. There were also at least two maybe three decent occasions for him to shoot and he didn't, lost confidence?

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Whourihane?! 😄 We looked worse without him. He's doing as asked - there was one particular moment when he got the ball about 10 yards from the side/edge of the box and no defender outside the box, instead of bringing the ball forward and/or shooting he shuffled it out to the wing to NML. There were also at least two maybe three decent occasions for him to shoot and he didn't, lost confidence?

4 days until our next chance of victory, expect you’ll be on here a lot 😉

30 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

4 days until our next chance of victory, expect you’ll be on here a lot 😉

Probably not, there's too many other things to do. I was just taking a break from looking for our next holiday to book. Thanks for asking though mate. 👍 

Edited by RoyMac5

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Probably not, there's too many other things to do. I was just taking a break from looking for our next holiday to book. Thanks for asking though mate. 👍 

Burton and Derby Jan 13 to 16. Fuerteventura from the 18th for a week. A week in Derby in March for the Reading and Bolton games. Still deciding where to go in Feb, April and May. Stay in NL from June to the end of August, Germany in September, UK October, somewhere in the sun in November.... sorted.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Dont agree. Hourihane isn’t one to operate in tight spaces, he can’t drop a shoulder or anything like that. He’s better when the game is in front of him at this point. 

Fair enough. I just think Hourihane’s added goal threat makes him playing further up the pitch a better option.

30 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

Fair enough. I just think Hourihane’s added goal threat makes him playing further up the pitch a better option.

Tough for Hourihane to play two games in a few days and think it showed hence why taken off at HT offers what most of our midfield don’t though and that’s a goal threat ….cant expect just strikers/ forward players to score 

our midfield in general just don’t gamble and don’t see the next phase of play sometimes as getting into the box I actually thought Peterborough played well against ( although I dislike Ferguson) us and showed more movement but was a good game to watch but thought they got to our final third way too easily 

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

He seems to have moments when he doesn't seem to have a clue what to do, or when he lumps the ball aimlessly up into the air, or just wanders around without much effort. And other times when he plays a pass that is just right, or occasionally scores a cracker. It is possible that on Monday he was simply cream crackered!

5 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

It’s telling that when, on the rare occasion, we make a simple triangle of passes in midfield it draws a ripple of applause from our crowd. If we our midfield played like Peterborough’s, the crowd would have really up for it. Whereas the Peterborough fans seemed to see some of their play through the thirds as “ordinary”. We really don’t seem to know what to do with the ball in the midfield. We have very little movement off the ball. Even simple movement. I assume we are not training for this. The amount of times our midfield manage to put the ball in the air at knee or chest height after a couple of passes is infuriating. 

It's difficult to form a triangle with only 2 midfielders

11 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

This. The Peterborough players were clearly drilled on where to be and what do do when space opened up. We demonstrated absolutely none of that. It has to be the way the respective teams are coached.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-max-bird-contract-9013559

"Paul Warne says Derby County midfielder Max Bird has yet to agree a new contract...Asked for an update on contract talks ahead of the game at Fleetwood Town on Saturday (12.30pm kick-off), Derby head coach Warne said: "I have not been told he has agreed a contract. I've said to the board I want to keep Max and then it's down to the board because I don't get involved then. It's not my money so to speak.

"Hopefully he will sign a new deal or he might see his career elsewhere. He hasn't told me that. But as it stands, until I get told differently, I will treat him as if he is our player. He has been playing really well. Hopefully he will continue in that vein until the end of the season."

More and more I’m beginning to think we can improve on Bird. More from a perspective of assists and goals and breaking into the box which for me is not his game.

Depends on whether Warne wants to play more of a 4-4-2 or a 4-1-4-1/4-2-3-1 with Bird being a number ten, as he’s not a number 10.

Just seeing a number of potential targets on here being mentioned and we could get two of them for a million each and sell bird for two million.

If he decides to go, well good luck to him, he's been a joy watch over the years and he may just want to be coached by a forward thinking, progressive coach to help him improve even more, because he certainly wouldn't be getting that here. In most jobs,if the opportunity comes to move up the greasy pole then it's generally taken, why on earth should Max bird be any different. Good luck Max

12 hours ago, ziggazagga said:

If he decides to go, well good luck to him, he's been a joy watch over the years and he may just want to be coached by a forward thinking, progressive coach to help him improve even more, because he certainly wouldn't be getting that here. In most jobs,if the opportunity comes to move up the greasy pole then it's generally taken, why on earth should Max bird be any different. Good luck Max

Could be a nice little signing on fee on offer from another club - why not feather his own nest . It’s a short career.

14 hours ago, rammieib said:

More and more I’m beginning to think we can improve on Bird. More from a perspective of assists and goals and breaking into the box which for me is not his game.

Depends on whether Warne wants to play more of a 4-4-2 or a 4-1-4-1/4-2-3-1 with Bird being a number ten, as he’s not a number 10.

Just seeing a number of potential targets on here being mentioned and we could get two of them for a million each and sell bird for two million.

He's a really talented footballer being played by a manager that doesn't appreciate midfield skills further than 'get it wide'.