Max Bird - stay or go?

dcfcjj

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's a really talented footballer being played by a manager that doesn't appreciate midfield skills further than 'get it wide'.

Wouldn't put it quite like this but I do agree with Roy here.

Max looked fantastic under Cocu, Rooney, Rosenior - he flourished in technical sides where he's going to have time with the ball. Warneball does not suit him at all. Feels a little bit like Rowett/Hughes again.

That's not necessarily a criticism of Warne's style. It benefits some players over others. Sadly, Max isn't one of them.

44 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Wouldn't put it quite like this but I do agree with Roy here.

Max looked fantastic under Cocu, Rooney, Rosenior - he flourished in technical sides where he's going to have time with the ball. Warneball does not suit him at all. Feels a little bit like Rowett/Hughes again.

That's not necessarily a criticism of Warne's style. It benefits some players over others. Sadly, Max isn't one of them.

Had to happen one day I suppose 🤣

Bird has been an integral part of the run we have been on, one bad game doesn't change that, as well as being one of the first names on the teamsheet.

If my memory serves me right, I don't even think he was a regular under Cocu and I can't remember him flourishing...I'm sure some stat man will prove me wrong on that 😊

35 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Had to happen one day I suppose 🤣

Bird has been an integral part of the run we have been on, one bad game doesn't change that, as well as being one of the first names on the teamsheet.

If my memory serves me right, I don't even think he was a regular under Cocu and I can't remember him flourishing...I'm sure some stat man will prove me wrong on that 😊

He played 27 times in Cocu's full season

6 minutes ago, sage said:

He played 27 times in Cocu's full season

So not a regular ? Unless that was heavily weighted towards the end.

I also worded my post badly, I can't remember him flourishing any more under Cocu than he is now, in my opinion I rate him, as I have always done and I'd have him on teamsheet every game.

12 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

So not a regular ? Unless that was heavily weighted towards the end.

I also worded my post badly, I can't remember him flourishing any more under Cocu than he is now, in my opinion I rate him, as I have always done and I'd have him on teamsheet every game.

Yes. Came off the bench at half time vs Wigan for his first league app of the season on Boxing Day 2019, then started all but 1 game through to the end of the season, playing the full 90 in 15 of the 21 (never less than 81 minutes). He also played in every cup game except the replay against Northampton.

His performances in that half season were so good he was voted the Player's Player of the Season and Young Player of the Season.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Yes. Came off the bench at half time vs Wigan for his first league app of the season on Boxing Day 2019, then started all but 1 game through to the end of the season, playing the full 90 in 15 of the 21 (never less than 81 minutes). He also played in every cup game except the replay against Northampton.

His performances in that half season were so good he was voted the Player's Player of the Season and Young Player of the Season.

Thanks, so in that season he scored and assisted a lot more than the current one then...I stand corrected 👍

Bird clearly is best in a 2 behind a 10 in a team who like to dominate possession, we rarely play a formation to get him playing to his max (excuse the pun) and we never play possession football anymore. So I do think he’s unlucky as we’re not really suited to him at all anymore. If he doesn’t want to sign a new contract, sell him and with the money on top of whatever we already are willing to spend we could sign 3/4 players to help get us with promotion with loans and perms.

I love Bird and would be happy if he stays but it could benefit all 3 parties involved if he does go this January. I certainly would keep cash out of the two of them if that was a choice needed to be made 

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Where does that say goals or assists?

It doesn't, but I thought that how we judged good players based upon the criteria showed by you on other posts....however I'm still happy to go by what I see on the pitch 😏

1 hour ago, Returning ram said:

The original quote said he flourished more under previous managers...

He was - but again i should reiterate that i don't believe that's because Warne is a bad manager or anything like that. Bird is just playing in a system that doesn't suit him now.

It's a bit like watching a player go from playing under Sarri to Conte. Same player, different system, different results. 

Napoli are a good example of this, if you're partial to a bit of Italian football.

Edited by Nuwtfly

1 hour ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Bird clearly is best in a 2 behind a 10 in a team who like to dominate possession, we rarely play a formation to get him playing to his max (excuse the pun) and we never play possession football anymore. So I do think he’s unlucky as we’re not really suited to him at all anymore. If he doesn’t want to sign a new contract, sell him and with the money on top of whatever we already are willing to spend we could sign 3/4 players to help get us with promotion with loans and perms.

I love Bird and would be happy if he stays but it could benefit all 3 parties involved if he does go this January. I certainly would keep cash out of the two of them if that was a choice needed to be made 

I doubt anyone is offering us enough money in Jan to make it worth doing. Everyone knows they can get him for free in the summer so we'll get low balled. Replacing a key position like that will likely cost a lot more than we'd ever get in. Make it a problem for the summer when we have more time, that's my view anyway.

14 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I doubt anyone is offering us enough money in Jan to make it worth doing. Everyone knows they can get him for free in the summer so we'll get low balled. Replacing a key position like that will likely cost a lot more than we'd ever get in. Make it a problem for the summer when we have more time, that's my view anyway.

You’d be surprised how desperate teams get in January, also they’ll know they can’t get him for free as they’ll have to pay decent compensation as he’ll have played over 200 senior games for us come the summer. Also if hull are the team who want him the most they do have money to spend so won’t mind spending the extra few hundred k to get him 6 months earlier. Also would imagine he’s on a decent wage a league one player so could divide his wages among 2 players should he go. But I still want him to stay. 

39 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

He was - but again i should reiterate that i don't believe that's because Warne is a bad manager or anything like that. Bird is just playing in a system that doesn't suit him now.

It's a bit like watching a player go from playing under Sarri to Conte. Same player, different system, different results. 

Napoli are a good example of this, if you're partial to a bit of Italian football.

Hear what you saying but if you look at all his key stats, he is performing better this year than any other.

Per game, more shots, key passes, dribbles, goals, key passes, assists, less crosses, passes (considerably), tackles and long balls. 

So for me, he has been as good, this season as any other, apart from passing the ball more times. Not saying he wouldn't be better in a more technical team, but once again for me, he has shown he can play both styles.