QoS

1of4

The BBC scrap Question of Sport due to falling viewing figures. 

Maybe they should have sacked the person responsible for making Paddy McGuinness the question master and changing the format, trying to turn it into, A League of Their Own, lite.

It completely ruined a great programme. I stopped watching during the third outing of the new format. Watching McGuinness was unbearable.

5 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Best show on the box throughout the 80s and 90s. I was a regular and avid viewer. 
Barker/Parrot/McCoist being the last trio I recall watching regularly, and it was already on the slide by then.

Any snippet I have inadvertently caught since then did nothing to tempt me back.

I assumed it was cancelled about 20 years ago. 

7 hours ago, 1of4 said:

The BBC scrap Question of Sport due to falling viewing figures. 

Maybe they should have sacked the person responsible for making Paddy McGuinness the question master and changing the format, trying to turn it into, A League of Their Own, lite.

It completely ruined a great programme. I stopped watching during the third outing of the new format. Watching McGuinness was unbearable.

The viewing figures had been dropping for years. It had run its course.

The reasons are also financial. Real terms cuts in budget have an impact.

1 hour ago, Henrycav81 said:

Used to watch it religiously from the 70s till the 90s as I enjoy a good sports quiz, but turned into a comedy show and I’ve not watched it for years.  Catch the odd snippet occasionally and mcguinness is awful I don’t rate him as a comedian never mind a sports show host

He is to Peter Kay what Jonathan Wilkes was to Robbie Williams.  Two blokes you'd never have heard of otherwise. 

Botham/Beaumont best for me.

Was watchable after them,  Parrott was ok and McCoist  Frankie moved it more towards humour...

Tufnell/Mat jug-eared rugby player continued that and there became less and less questions. Until I was a very occasional viewer.

Watched 5mins with McGuinness and it was a big no.

Race was run.

As a kid, the Home and Away round got on my nerves (well not really).

When some from a less popular sport came on, and chose Home, they would invariably get a very simple question for their sport, but it was delivered as a very hard question, ie who is the world champion of their sport.

Then when a footballer or cricketer went Home, they usually ended up with a pretty difficult question on that sport. The team captains never seemed to work this out!

Loved the "there are more questions than answers" tune from the mystery guest one. Might look that up now actually.

It was great back in the day, but I reckon if we watched it now, it would be proper cringe.

15 hours ago, sage said:

The viewing figures had been dropping for years. It had run its course.

The reasons are also financial. Real terms cuts in budget have an impact.

It's what the BBC has become...rubbish...a channel that's pissing our licence fee on 4th rate programmes with another hike next year 🙄

I've said this many times before (and probably on here): anyone saying the BBC is rubbish has never lived or worked overseas pre-internet with only the local channels on the hotel TV!

BBC has no cash because like Council Tax, the government have both stopped them increasing the fee whilst absolutely slashing their grant.

But don't let those facts get in the way of a good 'woke' excuse.

Edited by Grumpy Git

4 hours ago, sage said:

Ha Ha because it has had real terms cuts, it's a downward spiral. It's still the best channel along with Ch4 

Yeah, it's not even close.

The standard of drama the BBC turns out compared to ITV is insane.

We can always find something great on iPlayer, but we rarely watch ITVX. It's utter pants.

Having said that, after moving back from the US I looked forward to starting to watch QoS and boy, was I disappointed. Drivel. I watched a couple and don't think I made it through either before giving up.

Glad it's gone. Tried to freshen it up and it backfired. Part of me thinks the BBC are getting rid of their old guard who present their shows because they're on a ridiculous wage and it's unsustainable and the other part thinks they're on their crusade to tick boxes and don't actually care how talented someone is anymore. Let's give them a job because we haven't filled out that quota of specific person.

Eventually I don't think they'll make shows anymore because they have limited money. It's quite clear they don't give a crap about local radio anymore and it's a great USP. Oh but we need the money to pay for Lineker and Fiona Bruce's ridiculous salary.

Most of Netflix now genuinely is just background TV which you put on when family comes around and nobody gives a second look about what's on. It's flooded with some absolutely garbage. There's a gap in the market for BBC to make more low budget quality dramas like a Happy Valley, Line of Duty, Time. If they keep making that kind of show, it'll bring more viewership back to then tell government to give them more funding.

On 17/12/2023 at 12:56, Grumpy Git said:

I've said this many times before (and probably on here): anyone saying the BBC is rubbish has never lived or worked overseas pre-internet with only the local channels on the hotel TV!

BBC has no cash because like Council Tax, the government have both stopped them increasing the fee whilst absolutely slashing their grant.

But don't let those facts get in the way of a good 'woke' excuse.

Not sure calling cuts to public services (which the Beeb effectively is, for reasons you state) sits inside the definition of a 'woke' excuse. But hey, we blame the invisible enemy for everything else so why not?

My view on the Beeb, for what it's worth, is you know they get it about bang on when both the right and the left complain (which they do).