Safe Standing Is Coming to Pride Park

Caerphilly Ram

18 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I do find it quite astonishing that some moaners are qualified to determine who is disabled, and who isn't!  👀

Well, luckily I am only temporarily not fit (I hope!) but it's been a bit of an eye-opener about what our disabled supporters have to put up with at away games.

I can't fault Derby County. They have let us move down to front section seats on a temporary basis,  whilst retaining our right to reclaim our own seats up 87 steps whenever I'm ready.

They print off the tickets on a match by match basis and for all this they charge the princely sum of......

......nothing. 

Impressive.

58 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Yes.  At first I thought anyone standing (in this area) couldn't impede the view of anyone preferring to sit (in this area), but then corrected myself, as I'd initially misunderstood.  Hence my edit.

Yes again... it appears it's the whole upper tear, so no other areas can have their view impeded.

And thrice yes... The club are between a rock and a hard plaice, and there will be moaners... which I hasten to add doesn't include me, as it doesn't affect me.  But @angieram is right... we've all known this for a good while now, so anyone sat in the SS has very little right to moan, imo.

NIMBY, yer say?

y9cgse4bvbza1.gif

No need to cry - nothing fishy as far as I can see  😉

24 minutes ago, angieram said:

Well, luckily I am only temporarily not fit (I hope!) but it's been a bit of an eye-opener about what our disabled supporters have to put up with at away games.

I can't fault Derby County. They have let us move down to front section seats on a temporary basis,  whilst retaining our right to reclaim our own seats up 87 steps whenever I'm ready.

They print off the tickets on a match by match basis and for all this they charge the princely sum of......

......nothing. 

Impressive.

How do you arrange this? A call to the ticket office? I had a total knee replacement 6 weeks ago and while I got to the Bristol Rovers game, it was a real struggle to get to my seat and then keep my knee bent for 90 minutes. I’m right at the top of the West Stand, so that’s a lot of steps. 
I might be OK by the 16th (I can’t make 5th) but it’s helpful to have options. 

8 minutes ago, ck- said:

How do you arrange this? A call to the ticket office? I had a total knee replacement 6 weeks ago and while I got to the Bristol Rovers game, it was a real struggle to get to my seat and then keep my knee bent for 90 minutes. I’m right at the top of the West Stand, so that’s a lot of steps. 
I might be OK by the 16th (I can’t make 5th) but it’s helpful to have options. 

Yep, rang the ticket office. They issue paper tickets (I collect mine but they'd probably post for the usual charge.)

Thinking about it, I did get charged for the telephone call to the ticket office but it was worth every penny! 

I've always been an advocate of safe standing and in some ways the swiftness of this move is admirable but I can see it causing some issues.

If you bought a seat in the South Upper, you have every right to use it without having to concern yourself with a rail now blocking your view. I know people around you in that seat were probably stood up blocking your view anyway, but it's a bit different when the club actively encourage that.

I think it could have waited until the end of the season and I hope people affected are moved or even upgraded where applicable to a different seat free of charge.

Nonetheless, that's the only negative thing I have to say. Hopefully this will positively impact atmospheres, even if its only a temporary boost of having the new shiny thing to use

18 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I've always been an advocate of safe standing and in some ways the swiftness of this move is admirable but I can see it causing some issues.

If you bought a seat in the South Upper, you have every right to use it without having to concern yourself with a rail now blocking your view. I know people around you in that seat were probably stood up blocking your view anyway, but it's a bit different when the club actively encourage that.

I think it could have waited until the end of the season and I hope people affected are moved or even upgraded where applicable to a different seat free of charge.

Nonetheless, that's the only negative thing I have to say. Hopefully this will positively impact atmospheres, even if its only a temporary boost of having the new shiny thing to use

I don’t think it will have any impact on the atmosphere, people were already standing there.

40 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I wonder how it will work in the away end, where the majority (2.5k) of seats will have rails. Quite a few away fans who have come to Pride Park this season prefer to sit - hence the 'how s**t must you be song..!  The SS might have to come up with something different.

7 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Work has begun to put barriers in place and should be completed within the next 2 weeks.
https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/12/work-starts-at-pride-park-stadium-to-introduce-safe-standing

Going to be expensive to replace all those knackered seats .  All looks a bit weird.  take out the seats if that's the way it's going. 

43 minutes ago, Wistaston Ram said:

I wonder how it will work in the away end, where the majority (2.5k) of seats will have rails. Quite a few away fans who have come to Pride Park this season prefer to sit - hence the 'how s**t must you be song..!  The SS might have to come up with something different.

I'm assuming that away tickets will be sold as either standing upper tier or sitting lower tier. If you buy a standing ticket then at least you'll expect to have to stand before you go.

6 hours ago, Foreveram said:

I presume they have been installed so that over exuberant fans can stand on them while holding on to their mates shoulder when we score.

A definite improvement. Its very difficult to balance on the thin top edge of the plastic seats. They buckle and sway and you inevitably have to grab the person in front to stop you falling into the next row,

I'm sure he'll be thankful. If i fall off the rail, i'll miss him completely and land two rows down.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Going to be expensive to replace all those knackered seats .  All looks a bit weird.  take out the seats if that's the way it's going. 

I assume they have to have the seats. Also I think they'd want to prevent people believing it's a return to actual terraces. You still in theory have to stand where you buy your ticket

12 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Wouldn’t it be nice if you had a choice, standing areas for people that want to stand and seating  areas for people that want to sit.

A fanciful idea obviously.

That's what our away fans will get now