Safe Standing Is Coming to Pride Park

Caerphilly Ram

28 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

My view is, taking into account selective memory, the songs and chants have changed and, at times are still extremely distasteful but, on the whole isn’t quite as bad as it used to be.

Careful, sounds like you're setting them a challenge to lower the tone further!

Football is nowhere near as bad as it used to be, it's certainly evolved for the better but imo you still need some of the neanderthal behaviour to make it the game it is.

Personally the songs around the players parts, can't see a problem if they are done in a humorous way, the collymore one though I don't get and think that's a throw back that isn't needed.

Football is now catering for the family, which it didn't back in my day, when you would never dream of taking a young one to a game, but as I alluded to earlier, the swearing, the stupid songs, the standing, the drinking, still have a place, if done in the right way...maybe I'm showing my age though 😏

4 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

I started going in 1970 and have no doubt whatsoever that behaviour and language was far worse in the 1970's and 80's than it is now. However it improved tremendously though the 90's and up to maybe 10 years or so ago. I think though it has got worse in recent years and is continuing to do so

In the 2000s and 2010s, we had songs for Leicester and Brighton, so maybe wasn't as rose tinted as you think it was

Just now, Ramchop said:

In the 2000s and 2010s, we had songs for Leicester and Brighton, so maybe wasn't as rose tinted as you think it was

And for clarity, one was about a city's geography and one an opinion on why a fan base is still stood up

5 hours ago, angieram said:

We still get that at away games.

It seems sexism isn't on the list of unacceptable behaviours yet. 

Sexism??? , I get those chants at work on site ,,,, am dropping a few pounds now with the diet though 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 04/12/2023 at 15:43, Archied said:

I’ve for a long time believed that it would be a good thing to have an area or areas of grounds that sell tickets just for the area and sit where you want when you get there , it really would allow people to go on the spur of the moment with friends and family , there’s times my daughter and partner would come along to a game but obviously we wouldn’t be able to sit together, Sadly I suppose the threat of bad behaviour and tracking tickets stops this , shame really🤷🏻‍♂️

Said the same for years. The club could easily trial this with a smallish, single block/area somwehere.

Thought i would add my 2 pence in and a little bit of a backdrop particularly for those new members.. Ironically my Facebook memories remind me that 12 years ago we organised for Jon Darch from the safe standing roadshow to come down to the Portland Hotel to showcase 'rail seats'. It was a very well attended night including many local councillors and MP's.

Fast forward some 10 years plus and we finally have safe standing at Pride Park. Please remember that Derby County were the 2nd English club behind Aston Villa to go public on this at a time when it was a huge battle and clubs would just not publically do this. 

I went over to Hannover a year or so later and we did a promo video on the rail seats. This is one of the videos - featured Wayne who is a top guy and also well known for being the Peterborough Rabbit mascot. Naturally I took the big flag and got a photo with it in the AWD Arena. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apX5V1IJCW4

Nigel Clough was fantastic in it all. He was prepared to go on video and back the campaign. This was at the time of the Hillsborough disaster still being rather fresh as well with the campaign for further inquires etc. He was the most high profile person in football to go public. Top man.

Sam Rush and Co continued to back the campaign as did Mel Morris although his motives were very much how many more can I get in the stadium for his pop concerts lol! Yes we all remember that stadium video showcase!

So finally we will see safe standing at Derby. Not the rail seats that were campaigned for but rails. Its a start I guess and of course the cheaper option which also ticks many of the health and safety boxes.

Its been a very long 12 years with governments battles along the way. Should not have taken this long thats for sure. Guess we will see what the future holds...... Cough Rail Seats! 

Surprised nobody's been on here following yesterday's launch.

I made a tiny comment in the matchday thread that there seemed to be more/expansive gaps than normal (Looking from my NE corner position).
I noted one other mention of it, by @SSD which wasn't particularly revealing...  

Safe standing... What a joke this is today. 

So... How'd it go?
Good?  Bad?  Ugly?
A bit meh?

I appreciate it appears most were used to standing up there anyway, but still.  This has been fought for by some, for literally years, so surely it was a big moment? No?  

🤷‍♂️🐏

No problems with the rails but for some reason the stewards kept wanting to see your season ticket. There was queues building at 2.55 with being stopped at the entrance to the stairwell to show your ticket then again at the top of the steps to gain access to your seat. The second set of stewards got the rough end of it with people just refusing to fish it out again 30 seconds after putting it away.

None of us could come up with a good enough reason why you would have to show your ticket twice to reach your seat. They tried it again at half time but most just totally ignored them this time.

24 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

No problems with the rails but for some reason the stewards kept wanting to see your season ticket. There was queues building at 2.55 with being stopped at the entrance to the stairwell to show your ticket then again at the top of the steps to gain access to your seat. The second set of stewards got the rough end of it with people just refusing to fish it out again 30 seconds after putting it away.

None of us could come up with a good enough reason why you would have to show your ticket twice to reach your seat. They tried it again at half time but most just totally ignored them this time.

They do this in Germany apparently, so strictly speaking, you can only get into the block you are allocated to, so it cannot become overcrowded.
But that's all official, with a secondary batch of turnstiles/scanners I believe, not just a handful of stewards who wouldn't say boo to a goose if told to do one!  🤣 

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

They do this in Germany apparently, so strictly speaking, you can only get into the block you are allocated to, so it cannot become overcrowded.
But that's all official, with a secondary batch of turnstiles/scanners I believe, not just a handful of stewards who wouldn't say boo to a goose if told to do one!  🤣 

No they don’t. Been to 4 or 5 games in Germany and had no issues. 

It was a huge problem yesterday. Why do they need to check my ticket at the top of the stairs if they’ve checked it at the bottom? I can’t escape a stairwell. Then the rent-a-stewards they’re using don’t care whatsoever, they’re don’t even actually check. Then they stand in the way on the stairs half way up the stand as well. 

It’s a whole lot of pomp and circumstance for nothing when the same people stood last game as did yesterday. Nothing changed apart from a railing. Actually felt like we needed to ask permission for a slash. There was noticeably less people going down to the concourse and spending money at half time due to it all.

Someone was thrown out by a steward before the game in front of me for arguing about it and tempers flared. Whole thing so avoidable. This wasn’t even a rent-a-steward. He’d seen the fan in question every week for years. Just bonkers. 

Edited by Srg

1 hour ago, Srg said:

No they don’t. Been to 4 or 5 games in Germany and had no issues. 

It was a huge problem yesterday. Why do they need to check my ticket at the top of the stairs if they’ve checked it at the bottom? I can’t escape a stairwell. Then the rent-a-stewards they’re using don’t care whatsoever, they’re don’t even actually check. Then they stand in the way on the stairs half way up the stand as well. 

It’s a whole lot of pomp and circumstance for nothing when the same people stood last game as did yesterday. Nothing changed apart from a railing. Actually felt like we needed to ask permission for a slash. There was noticeably less people going down to the concourse and spending money at half time due to it all.

Someone was thrown out by a steward before the game in front of me for arguing about it and tempers flared. Whole thing so avoidable. This wasn’t even a rent-a-steward. He’d seen the fan in question every week for years. Just bonkers. 

Firstly, I didn't mean to infer it happens at every stadium, for every game, in Germany. 
I did a quick Google a couple of weeks ago, and it was mentioned that to get in the Yellow Wall section at Borussia Dortmund, they use their ticket to get in to the stadium, then again to get into their assigned block within the stand.
Apologies for not being more specific.

Secondly, apologies again for missing the fact that tickets were asked for at both the bottom AND top of an otherwise enclosed staircase.  My bad for not concentrating harder when reading a post... or double checking the wording when making a quick informal response on an internet chatty forum.

I can't do anything about the pomp and circumstance to which you refer, unfortunately, and it goes without saying that I'm devastated to hear about the evictee, but again, I feel powerless to do anything about that. 

What I can do, however, is ask admin to take down my misinformation without further ado, for fear of rupturing the next readers veins... and pray for your forgiveness, of course.

Now take a sip of sherry, and calm theesen down.

🙄🍻  

48 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Firstly, I didn't mean to infer it happens at every stadium, for every game, in Germany. 
I did a quick Google a couple of weeks ago, and it was mentioned that to get in the Yellow Wall section at Borussia Dortmund, they use their ticket to get in to the stadium, then again to get into their assigned block within the stand.
Apologies for not being more specific.

Secondly, apologies again for missing the fact that tickets were asked for at both the bottom AND top of an otherwise enclosed staircase.  My bad for not concentrating harder when reading a post... or double checking the wording when making a quick informal response on an internet chatty forum.

I can't do anything about the pomp and circumstance to which you refer, unfortunately, and it goes without saying that I'm devastated to hear about the evictee, but again, I feel powerless to do anything about that. 

What I can do, however, is ask admin to take down my misinformation without further ado, for fear of rupturing the next readers veins... and pray for your forgiveness, of course.

Now take a sip of sherry, and calm theesen down.

🙄🍻  

And for those that have had too many sips…….🍷

Personally, i don't get it.

For a start, if people are standing , then those behind them can't sit or they can't see..so to me its selfish to ever allow standing ever again!

Also, did they not learn from Hillsborough etc, what is wrong with people...it was perfectly ok as all seater stadium..much safer!

6 hours ago, valakari said:

Personally, i don't get it.

For a start, if people are standing , then those behind them can't sit or they can't see..so to me its selfish to ever allow standing ever again!

Also, did they not learn from Hillsborough etc, what is wrong with people...it was perfectly ok as all seater stadium..much safer!

Think hundreds of supporters will stand regardless so the sensible thing to do is to make those higher up areas more safe for those who do stand. 

It’s football not the opera so it’s unreasonable to tell everyone they have to sit. 

atleast now it’s very clear - there are certain areas where standing is very much encouraged/allowed and if you want to stand all game you should migrate to those areas when renewing STs and vice versa - move away from Those areas if you’d rather sit. we have to cater to the different kinds of fans at the ground whilst trying to support creating a strong atmosphere too.