Derby vs Port Vale

B4’s Sister

42 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Jeeeeezus, he’s just back from injury, Warne introduced him a little later than most of us wanted but he made the change to the shape and personnel which got us an away win and our 4th win in a row….

Cant you just take a tiny bit of joy from that? 

He’s always ‘just back from injury’ - read sick note.::

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I think the 7 shots on target statistic is fairly unimportant and that particular statistic can be pretty misleading. I can only name two chances of note in the game, the goal and the save from Fornah. I don't think we were particularly productive. 

Can you name any other serious chances that we created? 

There aren't many other ways to score a goal. 🙄

Collins two shots on target in the first half weren't speculative, they were created by him finding space and others passing to him. 

4 minutes ago, Crewton said:

There aren't many other ways to score a goal. 🙄

Collins two shots on target in the first half weren't speculative, they were created by him finding space and others passing to him. 

Yes, but using it as a barometer of chances created isn't really all that valid. A 40 yard punt counts the same as a 2 yard sitter. That's the whole crux of the point. 

The eye test tells me that we weren't that productive up front. Telling me we had 7 shots on target really doesn't change my mind or inform opinion further. 

FotMob has the XG for Derby at 0.7, which is about where I would have it. A far more valuable statistic. 

https://www.fotmob.com/en-GB/matches/port-vale-vs-derby/3apu88#4203034

Edited by Andicis

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Yes, but using it as a barometer of chances created isn't really all that valid. A 40 yard punt counts the same as a 2 yard sitter. That's the whole crux of the point. 

The eye test tells me that we weren't that productive up front. Telling me we had 7 shots on target really doesn't change my mind or inform opinion further. 

FotMob has the XG for Derby at 0.7, which is about where I would have it. A far more valuable statistic. 

https://www.fotmob.com/en-GB/matches/port-vale-vs-derby/3apu88#4203034

xG never has been and never will be a valuable statistic.

We scored a goal and 9 times out of 10 the deflected shot from Fornah goes in, so how does that translate to 0.7 expected goals?

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

We scored a goal and 9 times out of 10 the deflected shot from Fornah goes in, so how does that translate to 0.7 expected goals?

It's more valuable than the shots on target statistic. It provides some amount of context. It's not infallible, but it's the only statistic that actually provides more insight. I'm purely discussing with contrast to shots on target.

The fornah deflected shot wasn't that good of a chance, it was very almost a goal, but more often than not in that position it comes to nothing. That's the basis for the statistic. 

26 minutes ago, Srg said:

Young Vale fan doing some interviews with our lads who are being top lads with him. NML said he remembered him from last year when he asked Didzy about his song. 

IMG_1992.jpeg

Really good to see the potteries have attracted so much inwards investment to improve the housing stock......

Blimey, it looks like Aldershot.....

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If your statement is right then 0.7 is too low. 9/10 = 0.9 goals. Then you need to add however-many for the goal we actually scored. So, following your statement the expected goals is >0.9 and not 0.7.

In conclusion either your statement is wrong and 9 out of 10 times Fornah’s deflected shot doesn’t actually go in or xG is incorrect.

Take your pick.

32 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I think the 7 shots on target statistic is fairly unimportant and that particular statistic can be pretty misleading. I can only name two chances of note in the game, the goal and the save from Fornah. I don't think we were particularly productive. 

Can you name any other serious chances that we created? 

Wilson chance early on well saved by the keeper, Collins first shot was screaming for a chip but was a decent stop again and Hourihane's turn and shot was blocked in front of goal by a defender. Those are another 3 good chances that spring to mind, set against zero chances for Vale, that I can remember.

Just remembered NML's curling shot tipped around the post by the keeper.

Edited by ram59

Just now, ram59 said:

Wilson chance early on well saved by the keeper, Collins first shot was screaming for a chip but was a decent stop again and Hourihane's turn and shot was blocked in front of goal by a defender. Those are another 3 good chances that spring to mind, set against zero chances for Vale, that I can remember.

They're all half chances, none of those are chances I would usually expect to go in. I think that's an area we need to improve. We're pretty good at defending at present.

We are in the third tier. Its horrible, very difficult to get out of at the best of times and we are the big scalp, the team everyone wants to beat. Teams raise their game and make it difficult for us so we have to battle and fight, do the hard, ugly stuff better than them. We're not there yet but we are slowly getting to grips with it. Hard fought narrow wins 

Four wins on the trot,  not giving silly goals away, the way NML pushed Waggy toward the away fans to start the bounce tonight,

🎵Its beginning to look a lot like promotion.......every where we gooooooo..........🎵

Edited by uttoxram75