The Captain.

1of4

I believe a successful team needs a strong captain. One if not leading by example, has the personality to cajole, bully, encourage his team mates to give of their best, when things are no going right in the game.

Hourihane's team mates voted for him to be captain but he doesn't seem to be able to do either. Tonight we desperately need that strong captain but one never appeared.

Who from our squad has the right qualities to be the leader and captain, I'm not sure. That problem needs to be resolved by the manager, not by a player's vote.

A good captain on the field is hugely important. This is not hindsight as I said it at the time; it was weak of Warne not to pick his leader on the field. My guess is that he invested heavily in Bradley as his leader, but soon realised he wasn’t the playing force he thought he was (duff purchase). He clearly didn’t fancy Bird or thought he was going, but didn’t in my opinion want to demote him. So he abdicated responsibility and accountability to the players. I can see why the players picked Hourihane, as there were limited options. However, I am not convinced Hourihane is sold on Warne’s way of playing, so that is far from ideal too. Dog’s breakfast really, which is very disappointing. 

Every proper team has a proper captain. Ron Hindmarch. Robbie van der Laan.

And a lot of legs in midfield. George Williams. Darryl Powell.

We've got neither.

I was hoping Fornah might provide the running power, but it doesn't seem to be happening. I don't see a candidate for captain either. Nelson maybe? One of the few to show the necessary aggression last night.

Important window coming up, because this squad is lacking in key areas.

4 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

I would agree with the Nelson for captain option, however I would like to offer up Fozzy as captain.

Reason being, he is our longest serving member of the squad and appears to have the respect of his team mates/ colleagues.

CH certainly isn’t captain material, it appears to weigh heavy on his shoulders IMHO

Do you think so? I don't think he gives a s*** either way! 

How much more could a captain contribute? We've lots of players on the team and in the squad that have been or are a captain. They know what it takes and what it contributes. Yet here we are. I'd suggest you look at the main man (Warne for the avoidance of any doubt!) and ask why it seems players aren't following him? Although I think they are doing as he asks.

Edited by RoyMac5

15 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Yeah, Nelson would be my choice too.

I’m not sure. Nelson a fairly quiet individual that seems to thrive on having a pretty low profile. His rise to becoming possibly our best player has been under the radar. I’d worry that such a role might affect his game. Anyone know if he’s been captain at previous clubs?

I'm looking forward to the summer when most of the mercenaries will be out of contract. A lot of this is down to how we went about recruitment in the immediate aftermath of the takeover. Granted, a lot of it was through sheer necessity to actually get a squad of players, ANY squad of players, but it's obviously less than ideal.

The only fly in the ointment is the thought of giving Warne another window and a big rebuild. The players HE'S brought in are hardly setting things alight. 

I'm also not thrilled with the transition from the youth teams/academy into the first team. Last night was the perfect example, the chance to play two or three of them. At the very least the chance to bring some of them on in the second half, especially when we should have been trying to desperately chase the game. Instead we brought on Bradley. Comes to something when the best chance these younger players are going to get is to go out on loan rather than being able to force their way into the first team. 

I fully expect to lose Bird and Cashin during the January transfer window. F*** knows who we'll get in to replace them, but I'd wager it'll be older players on last paydays again.

39 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

…………

Comes to something when the best chance these younger players are going to get is to go out on loan rather than being able to force their way into the first team. 

I fully expect to lose Bird and Cashin during the January transfer window. F*** knows who we'll get in to replace them, but I'd wager it'll be older players on last paydays again.

I think you’re spot on there StaffsRam.

I wouldn’t be surprised if both Sibley & Nyambe have got their agents on manoeuvres and as of yet no word on trying to extend John-Jules loan.

I hope there’s a Baldrick down Pride Park who has a

“cunning plan more cunning than cunning can be”

50 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I’m not sure. Nelson a fairly quiet individual that seems to thrive on having a pretty low profile. His rise to becoming possibly our best player has been under the radar. I’d worry that such a role might affect his game. Anyone know if he’s been captain at previous clubs?

Worn the armband at every club he's been at for at least 1 game, including an extended run when at Oxford - may have been vice captain? He also became Plymouth's youngest captain in 50 years (when 19).

The captain debate is a boring one, an armband doesn't make you shout, scream, organise or anything any differently than you would anyway. If you're a leader, if you're vocal, then that's what you do regardless. Now it's certainly possible that we don't really have that type of player in the squad, other than maybe Bradley who can't really play football anymore.

There is a debate that the main problem in the team right now is not even James Collins anymore, it's the insistence on playing Korey Smith and Conor Hourihane together. Neither of them have the legs anymore, they don't cover enough ground, they don't close down with any intent, when they're bypassed they can't get back, they don't move off the ball to make angles for passes... At the moment, Hourihane is in the team as he's slightly more creative, particularly from dead balls, but I have zero idea why Smith is as well when Fornah is sat on the bench. It makes literally no sense. Until we stop this, we will have these inconsistent dud performances where teams with more athleticism and stamina outwork us.

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

The captain debate is a boring one, an armband doesn't make you shout, scream, organise or anything any differently than you would anyway. If you're a leader, if you're vocal, then that's what you do regardless. Now it's certainly possible that we don't really have that type of player in the squad, other than maybe Bradley who can't really play football anymore.

There is a debate that the main problem in the team right now is not even James Collins anymore, it's the insistence on playing Korey Smith and Conor Hourihane together. Neither of them have the legs anymore, they don't cover enough ground, they don't close down with any intent, when they're bypassed they can't get back, they don't move off the ball to make angles for passes... At the moment, Hourihane is in the team as he's slightly more creative, particularly from dead balls, but I have zero idea why Smith is as well when Fornah is sat on the bench. It makes literally no sense. Until we stop this, we will have these inconsistent dud performances where teams with more athleticism and stamina outwork us.

You don't rate Smith?

You should have mentioned this earlier 😀