Crewe Alexandra versus Derby County - Match Day Thread ( FA Cup 1st Round )

S8TY

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Rather than just moan and think we should be smashing a team who are good as at least a quarter of league one teams,

Sorry, what?

Praise/Defend (delete as appropriate) the performance by all means, but come on now.

This is League Two Crewe's reserve team we're talking about.

Didn’t think today was great, full backs offered very little going forward. Much better with wing backs which is unusual. 

Still have issues with that midfield three, it’s too one paced, samey and defensive. If bird is the attacking mid he doesn’t get in the box enough. I know he scored two in the week. Just doesn’t look natural attacking. Is a real lack of goals through the team. Which is nothing new.

we just seem to have more questions than answers all the time.

9 minutes ago, S8TY said:

It really wasn't same old same old, you must be watching a different game to me,,,what was same old was our wasteful woeful finishing especially Barks who I still think gives us something. playing like we did today all we need is a good striker also Washington is a good foil for a good striker 

I think today we saw exactly what Warne wants. Get it out wide quickly, get the crosses in. More direct without aimless hoofing. He doesn't want it through the middle.

I thought we could have showed a bit more creativity, maybe tried something different but the players stuck at it. Some poor shots and crosses denied a bigger score.

I haven't seen anything lately that convinces me otherwise that if we do get promoted it will be due to the strength of our players, rather than anything tactical.

The true test of where we are is Barnsley. 

Was at the game, think,the telly put on a different game to the one I was watching judging by the hysteria again on here , a good cup tie , defensive errors , lower league club on verge of upset, fight back at the end, dominant display from the Rams , Crewe defended like lions and made it difficult for us but the lads stuck at it and deserved a replay

51 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

How are we going to fit the replay in meaning as we have postponed the Reading fixture? 2nd round matches are played around 2nd December. Surely the F.A. will have to force our hand to play this replay around 14/15th Nov.

Radio Derby said we’d be missing Washington, NML and Darren Robinson and it still goes ahead on 14th Nov.

Edited by KnowledgeisPorridge

Thought we were good for the draw. Personally wasn’t too upset with the match but that’s because I see the cup as an inconvenience we could do without. 

It does show however that playing teams that stick men behind the ball away from home is our kryotonite. We just don’t have the skill or talent to break these teams down. Then to make matters worse we don’t seem to be able to keep a clean sheet as a minimum. 

Seen fans moaning about the chanting etc and fickle fans. Most fans don’t want Warne so as soon as it goes tits up the toxicity is bound to raise its head. This is on on DC and SP for ignoring the fans and will continue unless we turn on the style or get rid.

NML was in a class of his own today. If he hadn’t been, we would have lost by at least those two goals! whilst he was on the pitch I was able to keep optimistic, even with only a few minutes to go. Thank you for making it a decent match when it could have been a real embarrassment.

NML kept launching Hinton style crosses into the box, and it is only because we do not have a Hector or O’Hare that every centre was messed up today! It is interesting that he also had to play a real captain’s role and score twice to draw the match. 
We will probably win the replay and hope to have a decent performance against Bristol. Although I hope the FA Cup does not become an unnecessary distraction.

Edited by Brammie Steve

13 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Didn’t think today was great, full backs offered very little going forward. Much better with wing backs which is unusual. 

Still have issues with that midfield three, it’s too one paced, samey and defensive. If bird is the attacking mid he doesn’t get in the box enough. I know he scored two in the week. Just doesn’t look natural attacking. Is a real lack of goals through the team. Which is nothing new.

we just seem to have more questions than answers all the time.

The midfield 3 is still not right I still prefer Bird deeper as he’s good on the ball and protects the back four better than Hourahan and Smith. Im not actually sure what Smith does. 

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Can't believe what robots our players are. Can't they think for themselves? Warne told them precisely what to do vs Northampton, they follow his instructions to the letter, and we win easily and play good stuff.

Then for sone reason today, he tells them to play totally differently and we are 2-0 down to Crewe reserves. Thank god Warne woke up in the final 5 mins and told them how to score 2 goals. But, you have to ask, why did Warne tell them the players to keep scuffing their shots for 85 mins plus?

Anyway, the future is bright, our squad is worth a fortune. No group of footballers has ever been able to follow out precise instructions so perfectly. We can sell them each for millions.

Utter rubbish!

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

There were definitely players he could have bought, I’ve been told he turned down the chance to sign Alfie May because he wasn’t up to his “character” standards. He’s scored 11 goals for Charlton already.

Yeah but he doesn't have WhatsApp...we don't want those type around here.

I sit quite comfortably in the Paul Warne Out section of our fan base.

that said, and speaking specifically on todays game, I don’t think we were poor. Davesaram has highlighted that we played football to the final third and then resort to warneballcrossfest - in my opinion we did. Angieram has said that we played a little more through the middle and there were more cut backs and not just crossing. Theres is truth to this. The fist half was definitely another episode of ‘can’t cross will cross’. 

Warne is not really at fault for Barkhuizens determination to tickle the ball into the goal when in decent shooting positions. He should have got one at least and NML should really have buried the header. Then it’s a different game.

however I do suggest that Warne needs to really start thinking about how we break teams down

When we cross the ball it was often to a place where there were no Derby players. 
As a young un we were taught to always have someone at the back post .. 

when we pull it back - let’s just say that we could work on this in training as we don’t show the synergy in these positions that I’d like to see and we could capitalise more. 
we’ve got the pass to the wing and cross thing sorted (ish) now let’s practice shooting hard and pulling the ball back… patterns of play if you will.

Very good to see the team not giving up and totally playing for 96 mins. If we don’t do that we lose 2-0.

it wasn’t awful, it could have been different, it was against Crewe’s reserves 

but DISNEY it effing wasn’t!!!!

Edited by norwichram

That performance was on the players, not Warne.

Most people would agree that we played good stuff against Northampton.

He picked the same team and whilst some of the interplay was neat, we were toothless. Barks is becoming one of those players who looks better when he comes on as sub. His decision making today was awful.

NML had the beating of their defence but had no one to cross to.

Wash is an inside forward who works hard.

Collins has little to no football brain.

So, it’s no surprise we struggle in front of goal at times yet the same team scored four last time out.

Warne doesn’t inspire confidence but today wasn’t on him.

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

He picked the same team and whilst some of the interplay was neat, we were toothless. Barks is becoming one of those players who looks better when he comes on as sub. His decision making today was awful.

NML had the beating of their defence but had no one to cross to.

Wash is an inside forward who works hard.

Collins has little to no football brain.

So, it’s no surprise we struggle in front of goal at times yet the same team scored four last time out.

Warne doesn’t inspire confidence but today wasn’t on him.

Maybe Crewe are better than Northampton 

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

He picked the same team and whilst some of the interplay was neat, we were toothless. Barks is becoming one of those players who looks better when he comes on as sub. His decision making today was awful...

He made us play like we had Stoke's players, we don't. Continual crossing in the air into the box. Again. Why?