January Reinforcements

sage

10 minutes ago, Jonnie_07 said:

The real issue is the summer signings were generally poor. If we’d signed the right strikers in the summer (young, injury free) we wouldn’t be desperate for a striker now. I don’t believe there was not any up and coming and affordable strikers in the lower divisions for us to have gone for. The Rams scouting system has been a problem for years.

I'm generally Warne In, but I can't understand the want to get strikers falling from the champ, usually old, vs taking some punts on lower league options.

I'm a bit of a Malcolm Christie kinda guy vs a Lee Gregory.

31 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Okay the Bird money going in to the summer pot. But the league next season will be stronger. 

All 3 relegated teams will be up there, 5 of the current top 8 will be up there, Wrexham with their wonga and then the likes of Wigan and Reading if they get their acts together. IMO any funds would've been better spent yesterday at least partly to see if we can go up and avoid the royal rumble of next season

Given the number of players out of contract in the summer we're going to have another rebuild job on our hands. With that comes the "they need time to gel" thing - If we don't go up this season there's probably a sub-conscious admission that we won't challenge next season either way.

1 minute ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

There wouldn’t be a bidding war in the summer because Bird could just leave and we would get the financial compo award. 

A quick Goole on “How to work out development compensation for EFL players “ gives you the formula. I’m an old dinosaur so unable to copy the link . 

So by that we sold him now because we think we would get less in the summer?  Obviously Bristol disagree.  Surely they would only do that if they think they would have had to fight off competition in the summer.  I always thought there was no way to accurately predict what the independent tribunal would assess the training compensation to be

3 minutes ago, Spanish said:

So by that we sold him now because we think we would get less in the summer?  Obviously Bristol disagree.  Surely they would only do that if they think they would have had to fight off competition in the summer.  I always thought there was no way to accurately predict what the independent tribunal would assess the training compensation to be

Or they may have thought that there'd be more competition for him in the summer. Probably clear to them yesterday that no one else was in for him so they saw a chance to get their man, signed, sealed and delivered now rather than face the cr*pshoot in the summer.

18 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Agree - L 1 will be much stronger next year. But the Bird money will be swallowed up by our £6 million a year losses.Is this January window worse than last year ? Probably about the same .

I dont think we can assume those losses in our latest accounts are going to repeat at the same level every year. Were there not some 'one off' items in there hanging over from administration that impacted the number?

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

1 minute ago, StaffsRam said:

Or they may have thought that there'd be more competition for him in the summer. Probably clear to them yesterday that no one else was in for him so they saw a chance to get their man, signed, sealed and delivered now rather than face the cr*pshoot in the summer.

The deal works for all parties. The issue is when was the transfer completed?

I believe it was in the evening and then we asked for the announcement to be held off on the proviso we brought in a striker to soften the blow. If i'm wrong and the monies didn't transfer until past 11 then out of spite i'd have cancelled the deal and let them face a battle for his signature. However i have no evidence but i reckon i'm not far off with my theory.

10 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

Didn’t know Warne say last week was waiting on a premier league striker? What happened to that

he’s had two shocking January windows now. Will see how the rest of the season plays out

The Premier League player was a lad from Liverpool, but that was knocked on the head by Liverpool. Was that a case if “We’re not letting our players go there”?

2 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

I believe it was in the evening and then we asked for the announcement to be held off on the proviso we brought in a striker to soften the blow. If i'm wrong and the monies didn't transfer until past 11 then out of spite i'd have cancelled the deal and let them face a battle for his signature. However i have no evidence but i reckon i'm not far off with my theory.

Apparently, Blackburn's Ennis was on his way until Stoke barged in...

8 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

Given the number of players out of contract in the summer we're going to have another rebuild job on our hands. With that comes the "they need time to gel" thing - If we don't go up this season there's probably a sub-conscious admission that we won't challenge next season either way.

On the other hand, if we do go up this season, short contracts on players not quite at Championship level is a good thing.

7 minutes ago, Spanish said:

You would have to ask BC that,  probably so they didn’t get involved with a beauty contest with other clubs that might want to take on Bird and potentially offer bigger wages in the Summer window when budgets have changed.
Nothing to do with transfer fees , once Bird is out of contract it’s his choice where he goes DCFC would have no influence.
With regards to how the compo is worked not wanting to be rude but read the article ? 
Mainly to do with how long at the club , appearances , current wages and wages in the new contract offer . It has been reported in the local press that we would be due a “substantial development fee” what ever that is. Hence why we could ignore low ball 250k bids by Hull etc.  

Whilst yesterday wasnt ideal, i think it has been obvious for a while that midfield needed some legs and battle. Hopefully we have found that now and CBT should provide a threat from wide.

Whilst not signing a striker is very dissapointing, glad we wasnt held to random.

We still have the unattached players to look at and if we can get wash and waggy back asap, i think we are stronger than before January.

Just now, TomTom92 said:

If we were aware of Bristol's interest before yesterday, which we obviously were, then we should probably have laid down the law - "You have until midnight on the 30th to get this done or it isn't happening, we'll take our chances at tribunal in the summer".

That being said, even if the monies were transferred at 2259, we could have just done the same with any club we'd agreed a deal for a striker with.

I think the issue is that the deal happening on the last day mean't that most if not all of our targets had already moved elsewhere. Then we were left scrambling around and because we'd made it public knowledge that we were desperate for a striker certain other club(s) tried to take advantage.

I think the only things we could really have done much differently would have been to prioritize a striker over the other two roles and used whatever £££ we did have in the pot to secure one. And, we definitely shouldn't have let Brown go out on loan until we'd got someone else signed and sealed. Brown might not be ready for regular first team action, but in the event of Collins being unavailable and neither Waggy or Wash being back then he'd have been a better prospect than playing someone out of position.

6 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I dont think we can assume those losses in our latest accounts are going to repeat at the same level every year. Were there not some 'one off' items in there hanging over from administration that impacted the number?

Fans are speculating that this years losses could be as low as £3 mill. Did the Knight fee go towards losses ? If we had not gone out of 3 cup competitions to lower teams as early as we did , a bit of cup money would have come in handy . But how on earth do tiny Burton , blow us out of the water , with signings ? Are we still drip feeding the taxman to pay off debt ?

1 minute ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

You would have to ask BC that,  probably so they didn’t get involved with a beauty contest with other clubs that might want to take on Bird and potentially offer bigger wages in the Summer window when budgets have changed.
Nothing to do with transfer fees , once Bird is out of contract it’s his choice where he goes DCFC would have no influence.
With regards to how the compo is worked not wanting to be rude but read the article ? 
Mainly to do with how long at the club , appearances , current wages and wages in the new contract offer . It has been reported in the local press that we would be due a “substantial development fee” what ever that is. Hence why we could ignore low ball 250k bids by Hull etc.  

I searched it but results did not show that specific page for whatever reason

3 minutes ago, ramit said:

On the other hand, if we do go up this season, short contracts on players not quite at Championship level is a good thing.

I think if we went up this season then we'd have a rebuild job on our hands over the summer either way.

Hearing that the recruitment team are focused on the summer window - hope they're covering both eventualities when identifying their targets. Knowing our luck, we'll get promoted and then spend half the summer having to re-assess when it becomes clear that we'd planned for another season in League One...

4 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Fans are speculating that this years losses could be as low as £3 mill. Did the Knight fee go towards losses ? If we had not gone out of 3 cup competitions to lower teams as early as we did , a bit of cup money would have come in handy . But how on earth do tiny Burton , blow us out of the water , with signings ? Are we still drip feeding the taxman to pay off debt ?

That’s where our summer window should have been. Getting players in at the right age to improve through coaching and sell with a profit to reinvest. Apart from bird or cashin we don’t have any saleable assets to sell and invest the money so we are reliant on clowes dipping into his pocket 

20 minutes ago, DRBee said:

In the end we will be damaged far more by Warne's tactics and team selection than the failure to secure another striker.

Yep being a massive 4 points off off the top spot with a game in hand over Portsmouth is an absolute disgrace isn't it.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

32 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Which is why I think the sort of think the set up we kind of have with Warne greatly influencing the recruitment is kind of old fashioned. If you look at the modern examples of successful clubs living within their means Luton, Brighton, Brentford (theres more examples these are the most successful) they have all had a common link in which the recruitment is taken away from the manager nearly entirely. They have had managers come and go and it's not fazed them one bit. They have never had replace a whole XI because the new manager can't work with them. Managers kind come third now with philosophy - players - coach just because they usually last less than the players nowadays.

What happens to the recruitment when we lose Warne be it a sacking or moving to another club. Do we hire another Manager that plays the same as Warne or do we go another route and have to sign players to match that Managers style. I just don't think our recruitment set up is future proofed.

Edited by eddielewis