January Reinforcements

sage

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

For what it's worth I think the reason we are all so racked off is that Warne has been going on about adding a striker for weeks, and the club have done a crap job about being explicit with any restrictions we may or may not be working within.

The perception will be that the club has over promised and under delivered and it looks like we'll be limping home this season having apparently learned nothing from last season.

Exactly - the communication has been f***ing awful.

'There are no restrictions'. Except there are.

'We're confident on getting a striker'. No striker... In fact, let's loan one out.

Always over-promising and under-delivering. Fuming.

People saying not to blame Warne need to give their head a wobble. Two Sheffield Wednesday outcasts as targets…one injury prone (there’s a shock). Extending TJJ’s contract when he is made of a glass, so many players show their ‘quality’ in training but I didn’t see any potential in him. CBT is a very good signing and I hope Adam’s is. Warne’s style of play will put players off from joining so it doesn’t surprise me we didn’t get anyone in. There’s still no structure with this club either and there won’t be until Pearce has gone. We need answers and I don’t think we will get the serious stuff from Warne in his presser tomorrow. Clowes needs to answer some of the questions.

Can't wait for Warne's presser tomorrow.

"We tried all we could but just couldn't quite get a striker over the line. At least Wash is back soon and he's a great lad

8 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

People saying we're stronger now at the end of the window, but before it opened we said we needed a striker, we've since lost our only two backups in TJJ and Brown, and only have one fit centre forward at the club.

People joked as we went along that we'd reach this point and say "we tried but couldn't get it over the line", but I didn't think anyone was serious. For that to be the eventual outcome smacks of a remarkable level of incompetence. Is the recruitment guy still in his probationary period? Surely not worth keeping on. And such a shame Warne has no ability of his own, or contacts in the game, to attract players. 

Last year restrictions were worse than they are now. This year we still have restrictions. 

We've signed over 10 players since the summer all of which have mentioned how the manager has convinced them to join. Yet you're saying Warne has no ability to attract players? We've just signed one of the best wingers in the league this season as we were crying out for one. Everyone saying how we need some tough midfielder to stop us getting bullied, criticizing Warne for not signing one. We've signed one.

Are you forgetting all that? Absolutely pathetic comment to say Warne can't attract players.

I'm frustrated we haven't managed to sign a striker and I hope Washington and Waghorn come back firing and ready to go. 

Who knows we might get a free in? Dwight Gayle possibly?

We have got no money at all. We've absolutely tried everything to get one in. We're fishing in a small pond so the options are not great.

To sit there and have a go at Warne for this is a joke.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Aleksandar Prijovic who we sold 13 years ago. Free agent since September.

Florian Kamberi scored 4 in 23 for Sheff Weds a couple of years ago in L1.

Dwight Gayle who hasn't scored more than 4 in a season for half a decade.

Connor Wickham who makes George Thorne look like he's made out titanium. Also hasn't played since last season.

Any of them nice people though?

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What an absolute bunch of whinging cry babies some of you are.

Knew that it wouldn't take many of you long to forget where we were 18 months ago.

Can’t stand these kind of responses.

If the club were open and transparent instead of getting fans hopes up, the reactions would be a lot more understanding.

Why go around telling the media there are pots to spend to strengthen and then fail to do so? 

The club have thoroughly let the fans down this January. 

Just now, JohnoDCFC said:

People saying not to blame Warne need to give their head a wobble. Two Sheffield Wednesday outcasts as targets…one injury prone (there’s a shock). Extending TJJ’s contract when he is made of a glass, so many players show their ‘quality’ in training but I didn’t see any potential in him. CBT is a very good signing and I hope Adam’s is. Warne’s style of play will put players off from joining so it doesn’t surprise me we didn’t get anyone in. There’s still no structure with this club either and there won’t be until Pearce has gone. We need answers and I don’t think we will get the serious stuff from Warne in his presser tomorrow. Clowes needs to answer some of the questions.

Can't wait for Warne's presser tomorrow.

"We tried all we could but just couldn't quite get a striker over the line. At least Wash is back soon and he's a great lad

Again though. Just because it came out from the Sheffield Wednesday end. Not our end. They would not have been the only strikers we looked at

But the fact we even looked at Lee Gregory should give you an idea how little money we have.

8 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The only predictable thing was the hysterics from the usual suspects 

There’s nothing hysterical about being furious that the club has failed to sign a player in a position that was deemed the biggest priority before the window began. It’s pathetic from all involved. Not the first time it’s happened either.

Warne been banging on about a striker for literal months, pissing around with grandads from Sheffield. Then we end up with absolutely nothing, other than shipping out the only backup striker we had. Something doesn’t add up whatsoever. 

The rest of the business has been fine and understandable. This just doesn’t add up at all. Why fixate on two old blokes from one club? Why has it taken til the last day? Why be so brazen about what you wanted just to be left with egg on your face? I struggle to believe the party line we will be fed about getting in players who will improve us. It’s just not true. If Collins gets injured Saturday we are up the creek with no paddle. 

2 minutes ago, BPV said:

Can’t stand these kind of responses.

If the club were open and transparent instead of getting fans hopes up, the reactions would be a lot more understanding.

Why go around telling the media there are pots to spend to strengthen and then fail to do so? 

The club have thoroughly let the fans down this January. 

I cant stand the entitled attitude of some of our fanbase.

Because them pots are limited and the players we went after were not available within our constraints?

How very disappointing. How very Derby County. Hand on heart, when was the last, effective January window this club had?

CBT and Adams get a thumbs up from me - on paper at least - but to come into the last third of the season with one fit recognised striker is woeful. We'd better hope Washington and Waghorn get fit and firing soon, and that James Collins has the recovery powers of Deadpool.

It's not all Warne's fault, desperate as some fans are to squarely lay all the blame at his threshold. I fail to see how it can be. I know we're still recovering as a club, and the recruitment team is fresh this season - but they've sold Paul up the river here. We won't know the ins and outs of it all, but why we bothered dealing with Wednesday beyond an initial approach for Smith and a 'you know where we are if you see sense' is beyond me. Why did we then think they'd treat Gregory any differently? 

It still feels as if Rosenior managed to cobble together a better bunch of waifs and strays, and that was just him.

4 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

For what it's worth I think the reason we are all so racked off is that Warne has been going on about adding a striker for weeks, and the club have done a crap job about being explicit with any restrictions we may or may not be working within.

The perception will be that the club has over promised and under delivered and it looks like we'll be limping home this season having apparently learned nothing from last season.

I think it was pretty obvious from the way the CBT deal was concluded and structured, things are not straightforward and transfer activity would be scarce.

Hopefully the summer will bring more productive times.