January Reinforcements

sage

10 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I wonder whether the last few weeks would have altered our approach to the window. We’re within touching distance of the top 2 now, so if we have a good transfer window, there’s no reason we can’t make it.

I don’t think we will, or want us to take a gamble by overspending. That would be deja vu when it doesn’t pay off.

But last window, our additions were ineffective and our season ended up with nothing.

I think if we can avoid being weakened, even if it means Cashin is sold but loaned back, then that’s one big step. We need someone who is a reliable option to swap for Collins, if he got injured, we probably can’t rely on TJJ, Waghorn or Washington to lead the line for a run of games. If we can also get another winger, as other than NML we seem to be very wasteful in this area, then we should hopefully be alright.

I think people need to stop panicking about overspending. We’re never going to do that now. 
I hope plans haven’t changed. We made the mistake last year thinking we had enough, and didn’t. We need a wide man and a centre forward as a minimum. If those 2 are quality, I’ll be happy with just that. We need to be ruthless in the second half of the season. Top 2 is on. It’s up to us to smash it.

On 22/12/2023 at 11:35, abertawe_ram said:

londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-transfer-chief-hoping-incoming-business-will-help-to-tie-down-blackett-taylor-and-dobson/

Two very good players at Charlton with contracts expiring in the summer. Blackett-Taylor has been mentioned quite a bit, but Dobson's their skipper and has always looked a very solid holding midfielder from what I've seen. Could do the role Hourihane is currently and allow CH to play further up perhaps.

Ronan Curtis, formerly of Pompey and often linked in the past, is returning from injury and training with L2 Wimbledon. Could be risky but he seemed to have talent. Seems a bit of a "Tom Lawrence" figure among Pompey fans, divided on how much they rated him

I suggested Dobson from Charlton a little way back and just seen this.

It's only a line in this (very questionable) "article" that says that Charlton turned down bids from us and Wrexham at the end of the window. I like the idea he's a player we're interested in.  Good age and the right sort of attributes we could use in a midfielder

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/wrexham-tried-signing-charlton-captain-george-dobson-at-end-of-summer-window/bltd4756a97b9b2aa8c

3 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Dane Scarlett called back from his loan bt spurs. 

perhaps they’re gonna look for another championship loan for him? 

Ipswich fans pretty happy he's gone, he apparently can't last more than 10 minutes (steady on now!) without getting knackered.

He has a lot of hype and a good reputation, but for some reason in senior football he's not really done a lot despite many chances. He's 19 and has 63 senior appearances and managed 6 goals.

Warne stating he wants a winger & forward to add more pace to our front line as well as an athletic midfielder. DET also saying we're still interested in Blackett-Taylor.

Ive said it before but in terms of budget another midfielder will just replace Embleton if they join on loan. CBT and a pacey/athletic forward would do the trick.

Sounds like Warne wants permanents & players who can be here for 3 or 4 years. I wonder if Ladapo could be an option again.

I thought Thelonius Åsgaard looked useful for Wigan yesterday when he came on.  Played in the Hourihane role and got them ticking.

Only 21, contracted until 2026 and coming back from an injury, so absolutely no chance of us bringing him in.

Edited by maydrakin

1 hour ago, maydrakin said:

I thought Thelonius Åsgaard looked useful for Wigan yesterday when he came on.  Played in the Hourihane role and got them ticking.

Only 21, contracted until 2026 and coming back from an injury, so absolutely no chance of us bringing him in.

Anyone called Thelonius has my vote.

7 hours ago, maydrakin said:

He was good against us at PP in the first game.

On 02/11/2023 at 20:11, Nuwtfly said:

We are so obviously lacking in quality in the forward areas that I wouldn't mind if we spent everything we have in January on one or two attacking players.

Suspect we will end up replacing the likes of Cashin and Bird with workhorses, though. 

39 goals in 22 matches would indicate we have enough up top. Issues have been conceding sloppy in close games. Workhorses are required

I've heard this could be a tasty January. Looking at creative players mainly. Top priority's are winger and 10. DET have said we're interesed in Blackett-Taylor at Charlton, I'd take him in a heartbeat. I'd also take a punt on Dobra at Chesterfield, who's reportedly turned down a contract their. There's no plans for outs but everyone does have a price and i would assume their would be plans in place for that already. 

Just now, Big Trav said:

I've heard this could be a tasty January. Looking at creative players mainly. Top priority's are winger and 10. DET have said we're interesed in Blackett-Taylor at Charlton, I'd take him in a heartbeat. I'd also take a punt on Dobra at Chesterfield, who's reportedly turned down a contract their. There's no plans for outs but everyone does have a price and i would assume their would be plans in place for that already. 

I’d look around league 2 or OOC players who we could sign pre contract agreements with.  Plus a few in our division 
langstaff 

Blackett-Taylor 

brannagan 

Hoskins 

Al hamadi 

Crowley 

we have so many out of contract I’d actually be looking to upgrade Hourihane 

15 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Thanks BT, so no plans for outs but there might be 😉 Seen on numerous sites that we are interested in the Charlton player so good that your ITK contacts have confirmed that 😊🐏