Will Clowes patience soon run out?

old tray boy

9 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Many of us were actually happy that we were getting a provened manager with three league 1 promotions under his belt,it made complete practical.if not emotional sense.

Personally I'd of preferred Mac 3 but warne was the sensible pragmatic choice for the owner.Dont forget it wasn't just about fixing the squad,it was about repairing the club,the academy and yes,the coffee machine and Paul had proven he could bring a club together at Rotherham,so it was really a no brainer for clowes.

It's just a massive shame that,up to now,it's not quite working out and the boss has got to sit back and decide what to do next...stick or a very expensive twist.

I think warnes still got some time to sort this out.

I agree I don't think he's going to be fired - although I wouldn't go so far as to say it was a no-brainer choice and i'm not in the Warne out camp just questioning the shrewd bit of business and fantastic appointment comments. I was unconvinced earlier in the season and my target for Warne was a minimum of 7 points from the Burton/Oxford/Fleetwood/Peterborough fixtures which was achieved. Consequently I think the situation should be reviewed at the end of the season. Although as I also posted earlier DC has/had a four year plan and we're only a year and a bit into it - so it's too soon to abandon what is a long term project 

37 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Let’s ask a different question. Let’s assume we stick with Warne and we finish 10th after a season of boring, mindless football. Will you renew your season ticket? 

Never mind not renewing it, I'm seriously considering not using most of the one I've already paid for to watch this dross!

Unrest between the supporters is quite possibly detrimental to the team. I wasn't surprised to see some vocal ill feeling toward PW, though we cannot excuse the players in this. Where is their fight. Where is their passion? It's too easy to blame the manager. Yes, it's his job to instill that into the team but c'mon...these are professional footballers that seem to be lacking some of the absolute bare essentials of a player.

I am not defending PW here, on the contrary, he is coming under pressure for the first time in his tenure. Fortunately for him, he has what on paper should be the easiest home game of the season coming up in 3 days.

I would be shocked if Clowes wasn't anything but 100% behind PW. Clowes has a vision which was clear giving PW the long contract. If we finish outside the play-offs, I believe PW would still be under no significant pressure. The owner would be likely disappointed, but as part of a 4-year strategy; another year in League One would not be a complete disaster.

That's how I see the situation, but the ill feeling, as much as it didn't surprise me, was sad to see.

29 minutes ago, CongletonRam said:

Unrest between the supporters is quite possibly detrimental to the team. I wasn't surprised to see some vocal ill feeling toward PW, though we cannot excuse the players in this. Where is their fight. Where is their passion? It's too easy to blame the manager. Yes, it's his job to instill that into the team but c'mon...these are professional footballers that seem to be lacking some of the absolute bare essentials of a player.

I am not defending PW here, on the contrary, he is coming under pressure for the first time in his tenure. Fortunately for him, he has what on paper should be the easiest home game of the season coming up in 3 days.

I would be shocked if Clowes wasn't anything but 100% behind PW. Clowes has a vision which was clear giving PW the long contract. If we finish outside the play-offs, I believe PW would still be under no significant pressure. The owner would be likely disappointed, but as part of a 4-year strategy; another year in League One would not be a complete disaster.

That's how I see the situation, but the ill feeling, as much as it didn't surprise me, was sad to see.

No significant pressure if we don't finish top 6? 

How many season tickets do you think we will sell with another season of Warne and no top 6 finish.

Can't afford to sack him, will quickly become can't afford not to.

1 minute ago, sage said:

How many season tickets do you think we will sell with another season of Warne and no top 6 finish.

Might be able to finally get a ticket to an away game though, so swings and roundabouts.

Just now, CongletonRam said:

Probably quite a few with a new look side with so many out of contract players and a support base that will be keen to get right behind them, or so I hope.

Have a look outside your living room window and see if you can see a short fellow asking his Boss where the plane is. 

46 minutes ago, sage said:

Let DC worry about that 

I'm exhausted.

There seem many fewer defenders of Warne now. More than a quarter of the way through the season and we're 10 points about the relegation zone but 13 off top spot. I should try to check, but I haven't the energy, but someone posted we've won 2 home games since the start of March. In the third division. To get into the automatic promotion places we will need to win something like 10 games in a row. We sit 11th in the table, 2 places below Burton Albion. And playing dreadful, clueless football with no evidence we might turn the corner.

The way to make a small fortune is to start with a large fortune and buy a football club. There's not really any way round that. The justification being offered for keeping Warne is that Clowes can't afford to sack him. But it's crystal clear to most of the fanbase that he can't afford not to. I'm sorry (as we all are) that it's come to this. I hope the manager is honest with himself and walks, but that rarely happens in life. And, like I said, I'm exhausted.

Worn out.

53 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'm exhausted.

There seem many fewer defenders of Warne now. More than a quarter of the way through the season and we're 10 points about the relegation zone but 13 off top spot. I should try to check, but I haven't the energy, but someone posted we've won 2 home games since the start of March. In the third division. To get into the automatic promotion places we will need to win something like 10 games in a row. We sit 11th in the table, 2 places below Burton Albion. And playing dreadful, clueless football with no evidence we might turn the corner.

The way to make a small fortune is to start with a large fortune and buy a football club. There's not really any way round that. The justification being offered for keeping Warne is that Clowes can't afford to sack him. But it's crystal clear to most of the fanbase that he can't afford not to. I'm sorry (as we all are) that it's come to this. I hope the manager is honest with himself and walks, but that rarely happens in life. And, like I said, I'm exhausted.

Worn out.

I honestly think Clowes can't afford not to sack him. If he has appointed Warne on a 4 year deal and created a situation where we are stuck with him for those 4 years, then I'd be very disappointed.

Imo, failure to win promotion this season, in quite possibly the easiest scenario we will ever find ourselves in for top 2 in a division, with all our best youngsters about to leave, with an academy ever-regressing and a budget that will continue to reduce, will see us lost in the lover divisions for years.

I'm joining the Warne out brigade, this simply isnt good enough.  That team is more than good enough to be in the top 2 of a weak league this year.  If DC writes the rest of the season off by keeping Warne, he could well be facing a much stronger league next year.

Paul thanks for your efforts, but, as has been noted by so many, the club is going backwards, time to fall on your sword.

Lets get Warnock in before he goes to that shitehole Milwall..   

Edited by RAM1966

9 hours ago, CongletonRam said:

Hello Mr Warne,  It's nice to have you on the forum.

No pressure if we don't get in the play offs?!?!?!?!!?!!  I'll take an ounce of what you're smoking please.  There's no way he'd still be in he job if we don't finish in the top 6 this year.  You would literally half the amount of season tickets we'd sell, reducing income, which in turn reduces transfer budgets, which Mr Clowes can't afford to top up, and we'll be in limbo for years

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'm exhausted.

Worn out.

I wouldn't say I'm worn out, but i'm getting increasingly frustrated because and can see some aspects of his management that's good, but the constant underdog mentality stuff has to stop.  Have a siege mentality by all means, like what Sir Brian & Fergie used to instill in their teams, but being humble servants of a football club, playing for your wife's & kids' respect/love doesn't give you level of confidence (slight arrogance) that you need to go out and thrash the Shrewbury's of this world.  There's no strut to us at all...

11 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

Whilst I'm really happy Clowes stepped in, saying he saved it is simply untrue. We had at least one other interested party involved in Mike Ashley. I know it makes the story a little less "romantic" and I'm really happy we got Clowes and not Ashley, but let's not try to rewrite history.

That's just weird! 
A queue of suitors a mile long would not detract from the fact that it was DC who did the stepping in and saving.

It's irrelevant who was stood in the wings.  Nobody is claiming it was DC or bust!

*If Wildsmith saves a penalty, would you claim it was untrue because Vickers was on the bench?  

11 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

Whilst I'm really happy Clowes stepped in, saying he saved it is simply untrue. We had at least one other interested party involved in Mike Ashley. I know it makes the story a little less "romantic" and I'm really happy we got Clowes and not Ashley, but let's not try to rewrite history.

That is such a bizarre take, and trying to play it off as 'I'm grateful...but' is the first step in rewriting history. 

We have NO idea what would have happened but we do know nobody was biting our hands off to take on this particular thankless task.

He then appointed a manager with 3 promotions and has backed him. 

You are anti-Warne, I get it...but there is only a small step or two before Clowes starts getting huge criticism if he doesn't sack him and that would sit massively uncomfortably with me.