Will Clowes patience soon run out?

old tray boy

1 hour ago, oodledoodle said:

It's not worked out, but at the time it did look like a shrewd bit of business. On paper it was a fantastic appointment, so I certainly don't blame Clowes for it.

Eh? Did it? 'A fantastic appointment' was it perceived that way I don't seem to remember too much dancing in the streets. I do remember quite a lot of people were disappointed Rosenior left    

Just now, Monty said:

Eh? Did it? 'A fantastic appointment' was it perceived that way I don't seem to remember too much dancing in the streets. I do remember quite a lot of people were disappointed Rosenior left    

Yeah, a fair point. On paper though we'd signed someone who'd taken Rotherham up on several occasions, with a smaller budget than most of us spend in the chippy. Whilst plenty of us would have been happy to see Rosenior have a crack at it, it wasn't like we were handing the reigns to someone who was unproven in league one.

That's the benefit of hindsight I suppose. Whilst we might not have all agreed on it, surely at the time we could all understand it.

Thinking back, it looks like Clowes wanted a manager with proven promotion credentials to take us back to the championship as soon as possible. Sacking Rosenior was surely a statement that he wasn't interested in a project, he wanted results. I wonder how he feels tonight, seeing as it looks like we have as much chance of being promoted to the premier league this season as we do to the championship.

10 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Yeah, a fair point. On paper though we'd signed someone who'd taken Rotherham up on several occasions, with a smaller budget than most of us spend in the chippy. Whilst plenty of us would have been happy to see Rosenior have a crack at it, it wasn't like we were handing the reigns to someone who was unproven in league one.

That's the benefit of hindsight I suppose. Whilst we might not have all agreed on it, surely at the time we could all understand it.

Thinking back, it looks like Clowes wanted a manager with proven promotion credentials to take us back to the championship as soon as possible. Sacking Rosenior was surely a statement that he wasn't interested in a project, he wanted results. I wonder how he feels tonight, seeing as it looks like we have as much chance of being promoted to the premier league this season as we do to the championship.

But you'd have hoped there would have been some 'due diligence' from Clowes/Pearce? Seems to me they were enamoured with more than just his promotion record. Maybe the 'personal side' of Warne blind-sided them to the weaknesses of his managerial talents? He undoubtedly 'interviewed well'!

15 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Yep DC had/has a four year plan and we're only one year and a bit into it. I didn't particularly see it as a thrilling appointment to take us into a new era more of a reduced risk safe pair of hands. There seems to be as much negative comment about the style of football rather than accruing points - personally I don't care so much about how we play as long as we win and get out of L1. Hoofball for a season or two will be fine as long as we get promoted. I appreciate I may be in the minority though       

Edited by Monty

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But you'd have hoped there would have been some 'due diligence' from Clowes/Pearce? Seems to me they were enamoured with more than just his promotion record. Maybe the 'personal side' of Warne blind-sided them to the weaknesses of his managerial talents? He undoubtedly 'interviewed well'!

Can't fault someone for interviewing well. It's how I pay my mortgage.

If anything it's just a reminder that nothing is a given in football. Sometimes things just click, sometimes they don't. Sometimes it's through a lack of effort and talent, sometimes not.

And yes, that means whoever replaces Warne isn't a guaranteed success. But by now it should be obvious to most that the Warne project is failing, up to this point.

I don’t blame Clowes for hiring Warne. He talks a good game and I think fundamentally he’s a very intelligent tactician. 

Like most of us, who have grew up watching football, we have an idea of how we would want things to look and processes on how to achieve that. Unfortunately, it’s not that simple and I think Warne has ultimately fell away from being able to achieve his vision for whatever reason. The question is now, for both Clowes and Warne is where do they go from here. Clowes obviously has an affinity for Warne as a person, but will naturally be worried about his investment. By any metric, we are underachieving. The fans aren’t happy.  In this league, the fans are our commercial strength so there is an emphasis to keep them onside, more so than if we were in the Championship or Premier League. 

I think there needs to be an honest conversation between the two and some more immediate key performance indicators outlined. I think ideally they drag each other through this period, but there needs to be a plan in place. 

1 minute ago, Big Trav said:

The fact we haven’t got the kind of money to sack him and his crew 

I do not buy that at all.

Firstly, we have no idea what Warne and his staff are on.

Secondly, it's Warne who'd be sacked. If the rest of the staff want to walk too, that's another conversation.

Thirdly, none of us have any idea of what our budget is. We can speculate, but all people ever do when they do that is warp whatever budget they pulled out of their bum to further their own argument.

Fourthly, he's not been sacked, no compensation package has been agreed, so how can we possibly know if we can afford it. What if it's his remaining contract, divided in three and paid in installments over 3 years? Can we afford that?

It's absolute nonsense to pretend that we can't afford to sack him, when none of us have the faintest idea of the budget outside of the boardroom. Clowes and Pearce aren't stupid. They'll have an escape plan, budgets put aside, ways to square a sacking on the books if needed.

1 hour ago, Jram said:

Only 13 games though so that’s quite misleading and hardly a crisis given the squad turnover. Patience required, we will improve 

No side should be happy with 2 wins at home in 13, just accept it’s not good enough. He’s had wildsmith, Cashin, Forsyth, bird, smith, Mendez, collins, hourihane, Sibley involved today…all here last year. We are going backwards