Derby v Notts County (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

18 minutes ago, HectorsHouse said:

A lot seems to be made of our play being mostly counter attacking. 

Whilst I agree that we don’t seem to dominate possession, there is an art in forcing mistakes and being quick in transition. 

Perhaps this might not suit the  ‘purists’ eye or those who perhaps watch too much Sky coverage of the Premiership, however Leicester City managed to runaway with the PL relying on just this style of play. 

Again, I’m not condoning it however, I do think we have the players who can play both possession based and also counter attacking football at this level. If might be part of PWs masterplan or then  again perhaps not.

Which is fine, up until you play sides which sit back and don't allow you to counter attack. We've seen it a number of times this season and Warne has so far failed to find an answer.

48 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

For a bit of context, Wolves U21s beat Notts County 2-1. Our U21s lost 3-2 to Wolves U21s in the league.

Yet, we are unable to put a bit of faith in a few of our academy players in amongst our first team squad to hold on to a 2 goal lead with 20 mins to play? Well, I suppose they could make a big error leading directly to a goal I suppose...

Our midfield three had nothing left in the tank for those final 5 minutes. Any suggestion that a talented youngster couldn't come on for those 5 minutes to provide fresh energy as it would be too much of a risk is ridiculous in my opinion.

It all comes down to trust. Why wait until the game is won before giving them a go? Isn't it better to see what they can do when there is still something to play for? 

What did we achieve or learn by flogging Collins for 90 mins? I know some will say once it went 2-1 you wouldn't risk it but I disagree. Especially given the nature of this competition. I hope the next match in this competition Warne is willing to be brave and show that trust.

2 hours ago, BondJovi said:

It all comes down to trust. Why wait until the game is won before giving them a go? Isn't it better to see what they can do when there is still something to play for? 

What did we achieve or learn by flogging Collins for 90 mins? I know some will say once it went 2-1 you wouldn't risk it but I disagree. Especially given the nature of this competition. I hope the next match in this competition Warne is willing to be brave and show that trust.

What we achieved was a win and progression in the competition. Individual progress for junior players  is a secondary consideration, But hey hoe lets knock Warne. Had we converted more of the early chances created it would have been different

We played some nice stuff in the first half against weak opposition, as we did at times against Cheltenham.

However, the midfield disappeared and the forward line got sloppy. Our defence had to hold on and we had to rely on luck to get us through. If we replicate that in the league, a hammering awaits.

Fornah has had a couple of poor games but is a good player. Hourihane can’t play more than a half these days. 

I think we need to play Bird, Smith and Fornah as a three where we have three different skill sets.

I hope the players enjoyed their win and that Warne can take the panic out of their finishing. That debacle with Barkhuisen and Collins showed how low their confidence has fallen with regard to scoring a goal.

7 hours ago, HectorsHouse said:

A lot seems to be made of our play being mostly counter attacking. 

Whilst I agree that we don’t seem to dominate possession, there is an art in forcing mistakes and being quick in transition. 

Perhaps this might not suit the  ‘purists’ eye or those who perhaps watch too much Sky coverage of the Premiership, however Leicester City managed to runaway with the PL relying on just this style of play. 

Again, I’m not condoning it however, I do think we have the players who can play both possession based and also counter attacking football at this level. If might be part of PWs masterplan or then  again perhaps not.

It’s one thing doing it in the Prem but doing it in a poor league one? We are better than that.

3 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

What we achieved was a win and progression in the competition. Individual progress for junior players  is a secondary consideration, But hey hoe lets knock Warne. Had we converted more of the early chances created it would have been different

Why? This should be a number one priority for this game. 

30 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

We played some nice stuff in the first half against weak opposition, as we did at times against Cheltenham.

However, the midfield disappeared and the forward line got sloppy. Our defence had to hold on and we had to rely on luck to get us through. If we replicate that in the league, a hammering awaits.

Fornah has had a couple of poor games but is a good player. Hourihane can’t play more than a half these days. 

I think we need to play Bird, Smith and Fornah as a three where we have three different skill sets.

I hope the players enjoyed their win and that Warne can take the panic out of their finishing. That debacle with Barkhuisen and Collins showed how low their confidence has fallen with regard to scoring a goal.

Weak opposition? Based on what? The fact they are in a league below us?

Very strange comment considering they have moved up from the National league and are top of the next and ripping most of the teams around them.

I would wager that team may well be doing quite well in league one should they be in that league.

21 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

It’s one thing doing it in the Prem but doing it in a poor league one? We are better than that.

I would argue you are given time in the Prem to pass the ball around. In League one it is more industrial and you get harried and closed down by potentially less skilled players. Time on the ball is at a premium and if you can't control a good pass you can get punshed. So Possession based football might look great if you can do it and have more time.

5 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Weak opposition? Based on what? The fact they are in a league below us?

Very strange comment considering they have moved up from the National league and are top of the next and ripping most of the teams around them.

I would wager that team may well be doing quite well in league one should they be in that league.

Please compare last night’s NC team with the team that starts in the league. I’d say a league two second string is weak opposition.

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Please compare last night’s NC team with the team that starts in the league. I’d say a league two second string is weak opposition.

They put up a pretty good show in my opinion. You still have to beat what is put in front of you. This would be their BIG game in the round robin games and a local Derby. I personally thought we played well for the most part. We just need to be more clinical.

Let's face it if half of the chances went in last night, every one would be waxing lyrical.

I'm confused. We generally, and particularly first half yesterday, played out from the back. Lovely to see much better football. Now, generally during our league games we don't do that we get long kicks from the keeper and long balls from particularly Cashin and Forsyth which nine times out of ten give the ball to the opposition. Anyone know why? I don't get it. 

Edited by The Scarlet Pimpernel

5 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'm confused. We generally, and particularly first half yesterday, played out from the back. Lovely to see much better football. Now, generally during our league games we don't do that we get long kicks from the keeper and long balls from particularly Cashin and Forsyth which nine times out of ten give the ball to the opposition. Anyone know why? I don't get it. 

Warne s**** himself for league games generally and for the last 30 minutes of every game and changes the tactics.