Derby v Cambridge Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

Actually think this was a step in the right direction. We played some football this time and only one team could realistically win it based on how the game was played. Much more control and finally a game when we ran the show. 

A bit better in the final third and we would be a decent team if we keep playing like this. Cambridge created as much as I expect almost any team in this division should be able to create att PP. COYR  

1 minute ago, Kokosnuss said:

Let's base out entire gameplan on it then.

And then pick players with proven mediocre crossing ability... and minimise the best option available within that (putting Barkhuizen mostly on the left, even though he is capable of a reasonable delivery from the right).

NML actually put over the only decent cross I saw all afternoon, but that was 1 in maybe 5.

Disappointing result after we got into their box several times in the first half, the NML/ Barks chance in the first minute and the two missed headers from Wag and Collo should have been converted. Barks and Fornah had a good game.

The defence looks strong, but zero creativity in Midfield. We’ve got some pedestrian strikers and are missing McGoldrick big time.

Can we limp through to the January window and still be in touch with the top before reinforcements arrive?

2 minutes ago, InstaRam said:

Actually think this was a step in the right direction. We played some football this time and only one team could realistically win it based on how the game was played. Much more control and finally a game when we ran the show. 

A bit better in the final third and we would be a decent team if we keep playing like this. Cambridge created as much as I expect almost any team in this division should be able to create att PP. COYR  

That’s good then 😊

2 minutes ago, jameso said:

It's true although to be fair if we'd played at home like we played away at Carlisle that would be pretty disastrous, since it involved letting the opponent dictate a lot of the play. You'd expect us to dominate against Cambridge, but they soaked up what we had (which was mostly one-dimensional or ineffective) and were fortunate that we cocked up a pretty easy opening at the beginning.

The one thing that does look to be working well is the defence. It's still frustrating that we couldn't find a way past theirs though.

Aye, we’re solid at the back again which is a very good thing. Fornah is a good addition. Warne now needs to work out who to play further forward that gives us more chance of creating and scoring goals. I think a midfield of Fornah, Bird and Sibley slightly more advance with NML, Barks and Waghorn centrally might be the way to go.

2 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Can we limp through to the January window and still be in touch with the top before reinforcements arrive?

And then, if they do arrive, will they be fit and will we get them off the bench with enough time left for it to matter and in a position they know how to play?

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Aye, we’re solid at the back again which is a very good thing. Fornah is a good addition. Warne now needs to work out who to play further forward that gives us more chance of creating and scoring goals. I think a midfield of Fornah, Bird and Sibley slightly more advance with NML, Barks and Waghorn centrally might be the way to go.

We’re only good at the back because the other teams are crap. 

No Ipswich this year. No Sheff Wed this year. No Sunderland this year. Wigan with a points deduction. Reading with a points deduction, and Blackpool a team in transition.

Ideal opportunity to escape this awful league, but no, of course we have to absolutely p1ss away the chance.

PW must be a football genius, cos for the life of me I can't see where we're trying to get to with these tactics and system. 

9 minutes ago, InstaRam said:

Think that’s a fair summary, more of the performance that some have been crying out for in terms of us controlling the game at home and not being outplayed by an “inferior” opponent, but we created nowt of any real substance, that’s the next bit of the jigsaw 🤞 

Apologies I’ve not read any comments in the thread as yet.. how did Smith stay in the pitch with bird on the bench? 
love Nyambe but for this game surely Wilson would be the better option? Half time change? 
two cdms when we are dominating possession at home? Nah. Not good enough Paul. Fair enough if you want to set up that way but after 30 mins it was clear that smith was off it and surplus to requirements for this game. 

football was much better and Barks continuing fitness and NML played better. 

Love nyambe - sign up for 2.5 years please 

2 points dropped to be honest.

We played fairly well and kept the ball better, but lacked cutting edge.

This wasn’t a game for Collins, he’s ok if chances are being created, but when it’s tight like this then there’s no point having him on the pitch.

Cant not comment on the subs which were poor and disrupted us. It was clear that Collins needed to come off and Sibs come on in the No 10 role with Wags up top.

Not sure why Warne bought Sibley on and put him out wide when we desperately needed creativity centrally and kept our most ineffective player on in the process.

Best players were Fornah and Nyambe by a distance