Derby v Carlisle (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

I heard you like polls  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Away victories are very difficult to critique so we might as well just enjoy the fact the away form so far has been very good. Do I want the football to be better? Hell yes. I get the feeling the Vickers situation might have played on the minds of the squad, they're human beings.

I think we all know we were garbage for 90% of the match. 2-0 away, I'd take that any day of the week regardless of who we're playing.

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

After today’s performance? The result is the only positive. We were awful, and the blame for that lies with the manager 

To be fair we were only awful for the middle 60 minutes of the game. 

The first and last 15 were OK.

When I saw NML start on the left, it sadly summed up our tactical incompetence. Then bringing Wilson on on the wing with Barkhuizen still on the bench, ffs.

We have enough in the squad to beat the 6 or 8 bottom teams whilst playing badly. 

Hopefully Bird is back soon.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I hadn't realised I had the ability to change the way Derby play? Would you like to recite the Desiderata, I hate it but it might make you feel better.

No doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. I like the desiderata but do quarrel with line that suggests the Trees have right to be here … something went wrong there 🤣 big time !

1 hour ago, Terry Hennessy said:

Hmmmm.... a mixed bag again today. Happy with the 3 points and clean sheet. 

I think we need bodies back in midfield which is where we struggle... Embleton now injured again, Tommo out, Bird out, Hourihane out. Both Sibley and NML had poor games for me today and also Waggy struggled to get into the game. So i thought midfield is where we weren't quite right again. But as the saying goes "success breeds success" .. .so hopefully our season will kick on.... but as I said I feel we need more from a depleted midfield.

I've got to say that whilst I agree we're not playing brilliantly I don't get all the negativity on this board...

Watch out! There's more negativity on its way: Waggy and Sibbo didn't do much because they were played out of position. Again. And the team around them didn't come up woith many goods.

4 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Watch out! There's more negativity on its way: Waggy and Sibbo didn't do much because they were played out of position. Again. And the team around them didn't come up woith many goods.

I thought sibley and waghorn played well personal.

I saw some stuff that I haven’t typically seen from Paul Warne since he’s been at Derby, but would associate with him at Rotherham. 

The flat back four gave almost nothing away, Wildsmith a little erratic with some long range efforts but the defence gave nothing easy away and defended well at set pieces. 

Fornah showed there is definite a player in there, but still very raw. Football didn’t really stick at times and he looked like a midfield Osula. Still, ability is definitely there to see. Korey Smith tidy enough, but I think he has the lowest ceiling out of everyone in the team.

I don’t think Waghorn suited his role in the side, personally, I just think you play him centrally or don’t bother. You wouldn’t play Collins wide left so you shouldn’t Waghorn. Sibley didn’t really do enough, think it was evident that he’s still not quite up to speed fitness wise which is a shame. NML pick of the bunch from the attacking midfield three but all of them would’ve expected more of themselves.

Collins was excellent. Threw himself about, battled and scrapped - well deserved two goals.

Same issues still remain, we struggle to retain control of the ball and pace of the game. The back four really limited the Carlisle attack to anything decent but there’s just too much erratic play amongst the team, so desperate to get the ball forward that we’re playing so many hopeful balls. Fornah tried to play Collins and Waghorn in behind a couple of times, it’s just not their game, I have no doubts that he’s been asked to move the ball forward quickly (as are most of them) but it doesn’t half end up looking like a dog’s dinner more often than not. 

Still, the win today is exactly what I predicated: Leaning on an underfunded side, with a mixture of players massively out their depth and players trying their best to do 2/3 people’s jobs. Warne will continue to win games like this, for sure, and with a run at underfunded sides coming up then it should leave us in a decent position going into the winter period. I’d just love to see us adapt some control to our play - that was the first time this season that Carlisle had more of the ball than their opponents. I know it’s an elective by-product of how we play, but I don’t like it. I just feel like we’re leaving so much more out on the table in terms of performance. 

25 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Sibley played as a 10 for most of the game. Sibs, Waggy and NML rotated a but, he was mostly at 10. Surely that's his best position. 

1 hour ago, Poynton ram said:

Just listened to Simmo’s post match interview and he was very complimentary about Derby and some of the game management.Might not have played that well but over the years how many times have we lost to newly promoted sides. And to be fair to PW he acknowledged the performance wasn’t great. 3 points at home to Cambridge and top 6 could be close.

he says that every week, i'm tired of hearing it.

4 hours ago, Chester40 said:

This is my major issue,  this idea we are going to play teams off the park every week.

We bought a manager who has played a certain brand of football and got out of this League 3 times.  Surprise surprise, he seems to favour that brand of football again and today it worked. We got a goal, sat in and hit them on the break. Not luck, it was how he planned it.

that being the same manager that's been relegated every time he's played in the championship...

1 hour ago, On the Ram Page said:

Are you seriously suggesting that Warne coaches his players to pass to the other side as often as they do? I suppose the 2 quality goals we scored against Lincoln were because the players disobeyed instructions to pass to the other side. Of course he wants us to play well - the players have to take most of the responsibility when we do not play well and cannot pass the ball properly to each other.

I’m seriously suggesting that Warne favors a direct approach because it’s the easiest, and least technical, style of football to coach. There is obviously defensive and positional coaching too, but I don’t think we’re very good at that either.

Warne’s idea of playing well is evidently far different from my idea of playing well. 

I just like a certain style of football. And Warne’s preferred style of football is almost a total contrast from that.