Atmosphere at Pride Park

simmoram1995

On 01/12/2023 at 20:06, DavesaRam said:

Lets hope that great football is on its way as well! That would give the atmosphere a boost.

Yep. I've never heard an atmosphere at Pride Park like for many of the games under Rooney when we were fighting for our lives. I know some will argue that has been better in the past but I don't think so. Either way the atmosphere was so so good because the supporters believed in the players and the manager and had totally bought into what they were trying to do. At the moment we are about as far from that as we have ever been, enthusiasm is luke warm at best. Warne and the team need to prove that they are worth getting excited about and that will be hard   

28 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Yep. I've never heard an atmosphere at Pride Park like for many of the games under Rooney when we were fighting for our lives. I know some will argue that has been better in the past but I don't think so. Either way the atmosphere was so so good because the supporters believed in the players and the manager and had totally bought into what they were trying to do. At the moment we are about as far from that as we have ever been, enthusiasm is luke warm at best. Warne and the team need to prove that they are worth getting excited about and that will be hard   

In the Rooney season, I’m not sure it was so much belief or buying into what they were trying to do but more about us v the EFL. It’s easier to make a lot of noise (and forgive poor performances/results) when you’re aggrieved and have a common foe. I bet pretty every song was either “Fxxx the EFL” or “They docked us 21 points”.😀.

Regarding this season, I reckon there have been worse or equally “poor” atmospheres over the years.

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

In the Rooney season, I’m not sure it was so much belief or buying into what they were trying to do but more about us v the EFL. It’s easier to make a lot of noise (and forgive poor performances/results) when you’re aggrieved and have a common foe. I bet pretty every song was either “Fxxx the EFL” or “They docked us 21 points”.😀.

Regarding this season, I reckon there have been worse or equally “poor” atmospheres over the years.

Phil Brown, Paul Jewell the season after, some of the Nigel Clough days...we got through them all.

• 3 weeks later...

On the way home last night , the experts on radio Derby said there was never 27k at PP last night . I must say the atmosphere was as flat as a pancake till we scored . What I did notice was the very long “lap of appreciation “ by Cashin at the end . Was it his last game at home for DCFC ?

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

On the way home last night , the experts on radio Derby said there was never 27k at PP last night . I must say the atmosphere was as flat as a pancake till we scored . What I did notice was the very long “lap of appreciation “ by Cashin at the end . Was it his last game at home for DCFC ?

According to the official figures, there was 1,807 more fans there last night than against Wycombe. There was 1,405 more away fans last night so a difference in the two gates of 1,800 seems plausible. 

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

22 minutes ago, Crewton said:

According to the official figures, there was 1,807 more fans there last night than against Wycombe. There was 1,405 more away fans last night so a difference in the two gates of 1,800 seems plausible. 

Why are they experts on attendances though.

I had, on the match day thread two and a half hours before kickoff stated there would be a crowd of around 27,000.( official attendance 27,192 )

Based on my estimation,

22,000 season tickets.

1,900 away fans.

Round about 5,700 tickets available on a match day for home fans before they start to gather in the seats not normally sold unless it’s close to a sellout, around 2,000 tickets left so 3,700 sold.

So a figure of around 27,600 tickets sold minus season ticket holders that can’t make night matches,

2 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Experts on what? 😂

It was markedly busier than usual in West Stand Lower, which is usually a good indication of an increased gate.

Lots of people scuttling back and forward for refreshments, lots of photos being taken, obviously not regulars.

Made no difference at  all to the noise level as there was little to no singing and only polite applause. It felt like we were in a tourist stand.

Of more concern to me is the lack of sound emanating from the areas traditionally packed with season ticket holders. I haven't heard South Stand so quiet for ages.

Usual exception for the drummer and his hardy gang of song starters. Rest of Stand wasn't joining in though.

59 minutes ago, angieram said:

It was markedly busier than usual in West Stand Lower, which is usually a good indication of an increased gate.

Lots of people scuttling back and forward for refreshments, lots of photos being taken, obviously not regulars.

Made no difference at  all to the noise level as there was little to no singing and only polite applause. It felt like we were in a tourist stand.

Of more concern to me is the lack of sound emanating from the areas traditionally packed with season ticket holders. I haven't heard South Stand so quiet for ages.

Usual exception for the drummer and his hardy gang of song starters. Rest of Stand wasn't joining in though.

They were too busy checking their tickets ☺️

On 04/12/2023 at 18:03, Gerry Daly said:

I don't think it's just to do with Warne and the team. The south stand has been quiet for years. Even Lampard had to ask the fans to generate more of an atmosphere. We only seem to get up for certain games. It's not the wall of sound it used to be. 

Edited by Rammy03

6 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

I don't think it's just to do with Warne and the team. The south stand has been quiet for years. Even Lampard had to ask the fans to generate more of an atmosphere. We only seem to get up for certain games. It's not the wall of sound it used to be. 

I am sorry , but it doesn’t say on my South Stand ST . “ You have to make a noise to make up for the other 3 stands” . There are many grounds where all 4 stands make a noise , and some where all 4 sides stand .

8 hours ago, angieram said:

It was virtually full in my section of West Stand Upper, whereas its usually maybe 50-75% full. Some quite vocal lads who were goading South Stand for much of the second half. Lots of "newbies" with bladder problems though 😉

20 minutes ago, Crewton said:

It was virtually full in my section of West Stand Upper, whereas its usually maybe 50-75% full. Some quite vocal lads who were goading South Stand for much of the second half. Lots of "newbies" with bladder problems though 😉

Exactly ! “Goading the South stand “. It does make you feel like some performing Seal . Just there to enhance your match day experience .

10 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Exactly ! “Goading the South stand “. It does make you feel like some performing Seal . Just there to enhance your match day experience .

Well it was established as our "Kop" iirc and at one time season tickets there were priced well below other areas to attract those who wanted to stand and sing. It did a superb job of creating the atmosphere during the Administration season, but its prominence has diminished since. Is it the lack of an existential threat to the club, the quality of the football, change in the demographic of st holders or a combination thereof that has changed that image?