Derby v Lincoln Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

This might be because it’s 3:30am, & I’ve watched the goals after being woken up by the stormy weather…

but do the subdued goal celebrations not sit right with anyone else? Is it always like that?

I’m not suggesting every goal should be celebrated like a cup winning goal, but the half-arsed high fives & slaps on the back just seemed… eh

1 hour ago, mrdave85 said:

This might be because it’s 3:30am, & I’ve watched the goals after being woken up by the stormy weather…

but do the subdued goal celebrations not sit right with anyone else? Is it always like that?

I’m not suggesting every goal should be celebrated like a cup winning goal, but the half-arsed high fives & slaps on the back just seemed… eh

Think it reflects the lack of magnitude of the match

2 hours ago, mrdave85 said:

Did u know it was the most meaningless competitive football match in english football and not the world cup final ?

just checking 😉 

4 hours ago, Matchday Fred said:

Every game casts a shadow whoever the opposition. This game, albeit against a callow Lincoln side, could be the catalyst we need to build confidence and cohesion. Amazing what some Igor type positivity can do to a side. Spurs are a good example. Last season their midfield wouldn’t take a risk, always going backwards and sideways. What a difference a Madison makes, always looking to run into space or pass forward. Wilson and Sibley are that sort of ballsy player willing to be brave with the ball.

Without Hourihane and Bird (their injuries could be a blessing in disguise) playing at exhibition pace with little of their own movement, we have been forced to pick more energetic legs in the midfield. We can build a real tempo ; it is actually easier to play with movement and crisp passing when everything is happening at speed. Always easier to row if the boat is moving quickly, always easier to hit a boundary if the bowler is quicker.

‘Meaningless’ games like this so often have a huge influence on a season as they can create the missing blueprint. A win is always a win.

You make a good point but I will never understand which Bird some others watch because the one I’ve seen isn’t lacking in energy/pace/movement.

I’m in agreement with all those who like the look of Fornah but I’ll stick my neck out and say there’s nothing he has done so far or is likely to be able to do that Bird hasn’t done/can’t do at least as well.

We looked good when holding on to possession. A few too many last passes given away easily (especially square balls), Collins being caught offside way too often and Wildsmith just belting it instead of passing through the middle. Other than that, second half was much better. Hope they are brave enough to do it when they have less time on the ball

7 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Lots on here said he had already failed and wanted him gone already.

Constructive criticism is one thing downright abuse is another.

I want him gone, because I don't believe that is going to make the changes required to be successful. He will always revert to type regarding formation and setup and it will always take us backwards when he does it.

One off games where we actually look quite good merely serve as a reminder of what the squad can do before we revert back to unimaginative dirge.

I'm pleased we won, but for my mind to be changed Warne needs to play round pegs in round holes and take the handbrake off.

10 hours ago, bcnram said:

That was so good to see the ball mostly played on the grass, what a difference that made. I would think that the players enjoyed it more as well as the supporters. I hope the manager also enjoyed watching it.

He said in his radio derby interview that's how he wants his team to play. Glad to hear it but wonder why we haven't seen anything remotely like it. 

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I want him gone, because I don't believe that is going to make the changes required to be successful. He will always revert to type regarding formation and setup and it will always take us backwards when he does it.

One off games where we actually look quite good merely serve as a reminder of what the squad can do before we revert back to unimaginative dirge.

I'm pleased we won, but for my mind to be changed Warne needs to play round pegs in round holes and take the handbrake off.

I agree. Lincoln still passed the ball more freely and better than we did until the final third. It was so obvious our only tactic, until Sibs disobeyed and went through the middle, was play the ball out wide to the fullbacks. Cashin to Wilson was on repeat and Lincoln let them. Wilson looks nothing like a fullback but slightly like a winger, and managed some half decent possession. The midfield was lightweight as a feather and up front was invisible. How far Warne has dropped us if some think this was a good display.

But you can only beat the opposition in front of you. So it looked like we ripped Lincoln reserves another hole. 😄

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Bird is the classiest of our midfield players. He retains the ball under pressure and can pick a pass.

He needs to believe that and stamp his authority on games rather than retreating deep and taking the easy options.

When he does we will thrive.

Fornah can take the ball off defenders and turn with players on him . Bird continually goes backwards. Bird has also had his “Head Turned “ by Hull City - Let him go.

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I agree. Lincoln still passed the ball more freely and better than we did until the final third. It was so obvious our only tactic, until Sibs disobeyed and went through the middle, was play the ball out wide to the fullbacks. Cashin to Wilson was on repeat and Lincoln let them. Wilson looks nothing like a fullback but slightly like a winger, and managed some half decent possession. The midfield was lightweight as a feather and up front was invisible. How far Warne has dropped us if some think this was a good display.

But you can only beat the opposition in front of you. So it looked like we ripped Lincoln reserves another hole. 😄

He didn’t disobey, he was moved there after Embleton went off.

We tried to move the balls down both wings, but the understanding wasn't great between Elder and Sibley, both of whom are very rusty. 

Wilson is very direct but he's always going to try and make something happen. He worked well with Barks as the latter is an intelligent footballer who adapts as he goes.

Smith also played some good through balls centrally, which didn't quite come off. Embleton is still building fitness but I thought showed his potential for us last night. 

This is a very churlish summary for a game in which we had 68% possession and a pass accuracy of 87%, 672 passes and 17 shots to their 4.

Really pleased to see us score 2 goals like that without a cross in sight!! We played alot more like a football side 2nd half. Instead of a "just cross it and hope" side. Having Barkhuizen and Sibley back helps put Warneball to one side. We need to carry it on Saturday and not revert to boring non football stuff. Last night showed we can play. Carry it on!!!

2 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Did u know it was the most meaningless competitive football match in english football and not the world cup final ?

just checking 😉 

Yeah I know that, but even if it’s a “meaningless” cup and If we get to the final of this competition and score in the final at Wembley, would you be happy to see the lads just stand still, maybe shake hands, and get ready to restart play?

To me, and this is only my take, it looked like they weren’t happy about any of it

2 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

Yeah I know that, but even if it’s a “meaningless” cup and If we get to the final of this competition and score in the final at Wembley, would you be happy to see the lads just stand still, maybe shake hands, and get ready to restart play?

To me, and this is only my take, it looked like they weren’t happy about any of it

Louie has never celebrated his goals at under 21s very vociferously. I think he saves his celebrations for the big occasion!

19 minutes ago, angieram said:

He didn’t disobey, he was moved there after Embleton went off.

We tried to move the balls down both wings, but the understanding wasn't great between Elder and Sibley, both of whom are very rusty. 

Wilson is very direct but he's always going to try and make something happen. He worked well with Barks as the latter is an intelligent footballer who adapts as he goes.

Smith also played some good through balls centrally, which didn't quite come off. Embleton is still building fitness but I thought showed his potential for us last night. 

This is a very churlish summary for a game in which we had 68% possession and a pass accuracy of 87%, 672 passes and 17 shots to their 4.

I said we can only beat what's in front of us. It was basically Lincoln reserves - 8 changes was it? We hardly sparkled and I stick with that. If fans want to see a 'good game' that is fine by me.