Tyreece John-Jules - joined on a 6-month loan, extended to end of season

McMuffin

12 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

I get that not everyone likes the lad, but let's be honest here, he's barely kicked a ball in the last few years so judging him on the 287 minutes of league football he's had with is not giving him a fair crack at all. 

He's definitely got very quick feet, lovely touch and great control. Potential... I guess  you'd call it. Expectations are high because of that and his background.

Hasn't had much chance to prove it and looks a bit lightweight at times.

Depends how much he wants it, could be very good or flatter to deceive.

Easy gamble to make.  Fingers crossed. Hopefully get more attacking options than just him though.

This is a curious one. I am not sure how much first team football John-Jules is likely to get by staying on.

With his injury record, his lack of minutes so far, and the competition for places, I just struggle to see where he fits in.

He is clearly a more technical player than Collins but I would give Collins the nod every time. For all of his faults, at least with Collins, you know what you are getting.

With John Jules, there is uncertainty over fitness, match sharpness and a general ability to influence games consistently.

If we sign Blackett Taylor to add to NML, Barkhuizen and Wilson, that’s another player who would likely be chosen ahead of John Jules for the forward positions.

I just think he’d only really figure if we are rotating the team or there is an injury crisis. In which case, you would want us to look to the under 21s and take a chance on our own young players, surely?

I do hope he gets fit and ends up scoring some decisive goals, but it’s hard to see it happening.

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

This is a curious one. I am not sure how much first team football John-Jules is likely to get by staying on.

With his injury record, his lack of minutes so far, and the competition for places, I just struggle to see where he fits in.

He is clearly a more technical player than Collins but I would give Collins the nod every time. For all of his faults, at least with Collins, you know what you are getting.

With John Jules, there is uncertainty over fitness, match sharpness and a general ability to influence games consistently.

If we sign Blackett Taylor to add to NML, Barkhuizen and Wilson, that’s another player who would likely be chosen ahead of John Jules for the forward positions.

I just think he’d only really figure if we are rotating the team or there is an injury crisis. In which case, you would want us to look to the under 21s and take a chance on our own young players, surely?

I do hope he gets fit and ends up scoring some decisive goals, but it’s hard to see it happening.

We have picked pretty much a 4-2-4 formation a couple of times recently with poor old Hourihane and Bird trying to hold the midfield together.

We might try to pair Collins and TJJ with two from NML, CBT and Wilson either side of them.

Very bold but it does put the pressure on the opposition to counteract our threat rather than the other way round.

I think we might get Smith too to add a different dimension from the bench.

If I’m greedy, I’d like a fitter midfield option to help make this all work.

6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Based on the last few games, we're playing two up top.

Blackett-Taylor, Barkhuizen, Wilson, and NML are fighting for two wide spots - based on the last few games.

JJ's playing central striker alongside Collins - his other competition are both injured, Waghorn and Washington.

1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Based on the last few games, we're playing two up top.

Blackett-Taylor, Barkhuizen, Wilson, and NML are fighting for two wide spots - based on the last few games.

JJ's playing central striker alongside Collins - his other competition are both injured, Waghorn and Washington.

Yes, I know at the moment we are playing two up top.

But how long will that last? Everyone recognises the need to get the balance right in midfield, likely with a third player.

Even if we persist with a 4-4-2 / 4-2-4, I would be more inclined to play NML as a second striker with Collins, or even a new recruit.

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

But how long will that last? Everyone recognises the need to get the balance right in midfield, likely with a third player.

Even if we persist with a 4-4-2 / 4-2-4, I would be more inclined to play NML as a second striker with Collins, or even a new recruit.

I would make the argument that two up is preferred - what with Warne's predilection for 3-5-2.

Much prefer NML wide - let him isolate a full back one on one.

58 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

But how long will that last?

Does the contract extension not suggest a while longer? Also, what he look like playing off someone like Smith? He's obviously showing something in any case, so it's a fingers crossed he stays fit and improves with games from me. I think he can.

I do agree with your original point though that he's maybe not best paired with Collo, though I can't pigeon-hole him just yet on account of him being the only player to beat the Burton yeti in the air and he's about 7 foot tall.

Also, Collo runs around like a nutter and there's no way he goes 50 games this season. He will crash at some point and require 2 to 3 weeks to regather his energy levels. We need cover IMO and perhaps by taking a low cost route with a potentially decent upside (TJJ) we have a bit left in the kitty to rent a proven type. I think as much as anything, what Warne seems to be trying to do is build redundancy / resilience into the squad and I'd hope TJJ can be of use in that regard at very least.

3 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Does the contract extension not suggest a while longer? Also, what he look like playing off someone like Smith? He's obviously showing something in any case, so it's a fingers crossed he stays fit and improves with games from me. I think he can.

I do agree with your original point though that he's maybe not best paired with Collo, though I can't pigeon-hole him just yet on account of him being the only player to beat the Burton yeti in the air and he's about 7 foot tall.

Also, Collo runs around like a nutter and there's no way he goes 50 games this season. He will crash at some point and require 2 to 3 weeks to regather his energy levels. We need cover IMO and perhaps by taking a low cost route with a potentially decent upside (TJJ) we have a bit left in the kitty to rent a proven type. I think as much as anything, what Warne seems to be trying to do is build redundancy / resilience into the squad and I'd hope TJJ can be of use in that regard at very least.

Let’s face it, at this point in time, JJ is more likely to be here next season than Collins is. 

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

I'd be surprised if this is not a long-term project for him and the club. He hasn't been fit in ages so maybe he is happy with how his fitness is being taken care of here.

Maybe the short-term goal is to stay fit this season and get some minutes. A medium-term goal could be a good pre-season with some bulking and buying shoes that make him stay on his feet. 

The long-term goal is to shoot us up to PL. 

When we are talking about persistent injury problems, I think the long-term approach is the only sensible one. And that might be the idea Warne has sold to him.

Speculative for sure, but wouldn't be surprised if so.

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

He's definitely got very quick feet, lovely touch and great control. Potential... I guess  you'd call it. Expectations are high because of that and his background.

Hasn't had much chance to prove it and looks a bit lightweight at times.

Depends how much he wants it, could be very good or flatter to deceive.

Easy gamble to make.  Fingers crossed. Hopefully get more attacking options than just him though.

To me he looks a much better prospect to develop than Plange, a similar style but hopefully he stays clear of serious injury.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

We have picked pretty much a 4-2-4 formation a couple of times recently with poor old Hourihane and Bird trying to hold the midfield together.

We might try to pair Collins and TJJ with two from NML, CBT and Wilson either side of them.

Very bold but it does put the pressure on the opposition to counteract our threat rather than the other way round.

I think we might get Smith too to add a different dimension from the bench.

If I’m greedy, I’d like a fitter midfield option to help make this all work.

Come on AR, Beryl beat you to the Smith in on loan ITK rumour 🤣

35 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Obviously if John-Jules kicks on and plays an important role in our run-in, it will look an inspired move.

There’s no disputing he has talent. It’s just a question of whether we can extract it and at what cost.

I don’t know the terms of the deal, but if Arsenal are paying his wages, then perhaps you’re right and we have nothing to lose.

I do think you are absolutely right in that we are only a Collins injury or burnout from potentially having a problem, but then again hopefully Waghorn and Washington are getting closer to fitness and we always have the potential breakout of Dajaune Brown.