The Paul Warne Poll

Day

The Paul Warne Poll  

612 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Feel a bit sorry for him today tbh, losing Thompson then Rooney, then the atrocious ref and a lucky deflection to put us behind.

That said I've not seen the performance with my own eyes, but however unlucky

this chaos is an intrinsic part of his overall gameplan, even when we win. It's by his design and on his watch, ultimately.

It's not impossible to take the sting out of a game when down to 10 by changing your gameplan to suit the situation and at least trying to keep control of the ball, but all of the comments and the brief but I heard on the radio indicate we've not tried to do that.

Edited by Kokosnuss

Get him gone. The football is bad, the team can't do the basics and despite all the noise in pre-season about getting everyone fit the squad is already on life-support and looking shattered.

Warne and Derby are just not a good fit. He needs a different type of club,we need a different type of manager.

8 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Get him gone. The football is bad, the team can't do the basics and despite all the noise in pre-season about getting everyone fit the squad is already on life-support and looking shattered.

Warne and Derby are just not a good fit. He needs a different type of club,we need a different type of manager.

Agree with this entirely. He's trying to implement a low possession pressing/running team but we have an old and slow squad who can't play that way. We have a few technical players who would be better suited playing possession based.

29 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Feel a bit sorry for him today tbh, losing Thompson then Rooney, then the atrocious ref and a lucky deflection to put us behind.

That said I've not seen the performance with my own eyes, but however unlucky

this chaos is an intrinsic part of his overall gameplan, even when we win. It's by his design and on his watch, ultimately.

It's not impossible to take the sting out of a game when down to 10 by changing your gameplan to suit the situation and at least trying to keep control of the ball, but all of the comments and the brief but I heard on the radio indicate we've not tried to do that.

You wouldn't be so sympathetic if you'd watched it. 

25 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

To be clear, I reckon Warne could go to a different club and do really well. I just don't think that club would be as big as Derby. He's thinking too small. We need a different style of manager entirely. 

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

To be clear, I reckon Warne could go to a different club and do really well. I just don't think that club would be as big as Derby. He's thinking too small. We need a different style of manager entirely. 

Such as?

The way the squad has been built means that even if we go up this season we will be much more like Sheffield Wednesday than Plymouth. I have deliberately not used Ipswich as an example because of their budget.

I have said it before but the way we have approached everything on the field over the last 15 months, despite a near complete blank canvas, is terrifying. 

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

A club where he can get away with a "We have to play this way because it's us against the big boys" mentality. 

That approach doesn't work when you are managing one of the big boys.

Sorry - I meant who would you replace him with?

12 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

You wouldn't be so sympathetic if you'd watched it. 

Perhaps not. Others have said it wasn't as bad as it sounded though.

I just think the number of mitigating circumstances today were enough to considered reasons for a poor performance rather than excuses, and I'd say the same for any manager - anyone would struggle to put out a team playing with a great deal of cohesion today.

Unfortunately, I do expect Warne to struggle to a higher degree than others would because of how one dimensional his tactical management is.

Edited by Kokosnuss

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

A club where he can get away with a "We have to play this way because it's us against the big boys" mentality. 

That approach doesn't work when you are managing one of the big boys.

This is the point I’ve been making for about 6 months. He’s a small club manager. Where hard work is enough to win you games. When you manage Derby, you need to understand tactics as well.

1 minute ago, Kokosnuss said:

Perhaps not.

I just think the number of mitigating circumstances today were enough to considered reasons for a poor performance rather than excuses, and I'd say the same for any manager - anyone would struggle to put out a team playing with a great deal of cohesion today.

Unfortunately, I do expect Warne to struggle to a higher degree than others would because of how one dimensional his tactical management is.

And the fact we've played like this on so many other occasions.   It's a repeating pattern.

Edited by Blondest Goat

2 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Sorry - I meant who would you replace him with?

The obvious candidate that's currently available is Darren Moore, but ultimately it would be with someone who has a much better track record of coaching a squad to play cohesive football than Warne.

For whatever reason what Warne wants his team to do is not translating on to the pitch. He's obviously not doing it on purpose but there is something very wrong at the minute, we are less than the sum of our parts and I don't believe that he has it in him to sort it out.