Is Clowes Blameless?

DarkFruitsRam7

47 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

No he is not blameless at all. I blame him totally for rescuing us from oblivion. I blame him for that feeling of walking up the steps seeing the pitch for the first match last season. I blame him for quietly trying to restore the dignity and integrity back to our club. I blame him for trying to run our club responsibly. 
I think this thread and its title are disrespectful and ungrateful. 

Absolutely.  There were people saying "please someone save our club".  The problem is, for all bar the properly super rich (who can do it as one big ego trip) for most owning something like this is a commercial enterprise.  I genuinely saw no one willing to "save the club", after all - why would they?  (would you, even if you had the money save Bury?)  We might all want to for DCFC, but I doubt there are many on this forum who can afford to.

Clowes was probably the only person in the whole world to have a) the enthusiasm and b) the money.  He stepped up to the plate.  The man can do no wrong in my book.  

8 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Of course I agree that nobody has actually said we've got the biggest budget, because they haven't. Not even the poster you were quoting stated it as a fact. Do you agree that people can at least make an educated guess on where it lies?

Yes. All I did was point out that nobody had said it. Which you're agreeing with. Guessing that we've got the biggest budget isn't very educated IMO, given our EFL situation and what has actually been said.

You just seem to have decided that ALL criticism is simply knee-jerk reactions and guff and refuse to hear a word of it.

Wow, and based on no evidence what so ever apart from me correcting the record on this one thing here. Well done.

I don't mind criticism if it's justified - which it isn't if it's based on a false premise. Someone says we've got the biggest budget and some people will believe it and repeat it etc etc etc.

Please can you tell me what you consider to be an 'inflated expectation' for this season?

Bloody quote splitting thing not working.

31 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Bloody quote splitting thing not working.

"Wow, and based on no evidence what so ever apart from me correcting the record on this one thing here. Well done. "
First off, apologies, my mistake - I think you've got a namesake who's popped up on a few different threads sounding unhappy that the thread even exists and dismissing anyone contributing to it! Having a brief look at your recent activity it looks like a case of mistaken identity.

"Guessing that we've got the biggest budget isn't very educated IMO, given our EFL situation and what has actually been said!"
It isn't, but one person did that and as pointed out, even they weren't an example of a poster with unrealistic expectations for the season. Using that post as an example of the type of person who is being unrealistic and impatient doesn't really hold water is all I'm saying.

I'll repeat, I really haven't seen anyone demanding or genuinely thinking we should 'walk the league' or similar.

However, if it's unrealistic to expect us to finish in the top 6 then something has gone seriously wrong since the end of last season.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

No he is not blameless at all. I blame him totally for rescuing us from oblivion. I blame him for that feeling of walking up the steps seeing the pitch for the first match last season. I blame him for quietly trying to restore the dignity and integrity back to our club. I blame him for trying to run our club responsibly. 
I think this thread and its title are disrespectful and ungrateful. 

Well said Ma'am. I think the board should let you loose with a microphone in hand to deliver your message on the pitch on Saturday at about ten to three. The fans are suffering but some sanity needs to be restored. The flight of the Phoenix from the Ashes may have hit turbulence but it isn't over. David Clowes saved us and for that we should be thankful. We are still on course to fight another day thanks only to him. The flight might just take a bit longer than we had hoped for.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

25 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Well said Ma'am. I think the board should let you loose with a microphone in hand to deliver your message on the pitch on Saturday at about ten to three. The fans are suffering but some sanity needs to be restored. The flight of the Phoenix from the Ashes may have hit turbulence but it isn't over. David Clowes saved us and for that we should be thankful. We are still on course to fight another day thanks only to him. The flight might just take a bit longer than we had hoped for.

IMG_0170.png

17 hours ago, eddy779h34 said:

I think he did a great job in ensuring we have a club , but I don't think he has the spending power to get us out of this league. I feel we will all be forever grateful, but I think he should pass the baton to someone with serious wealth if possible, now it appears a lot of the debt baggage has gone surely we are a more attractive buy now than when we were in administration 

I thought Ashley may have come back now we a stable 

The fact we are stable is exactly why Ashley won't be coming back. He'd have to pay a fair price for the club because the club isn't on the edge of a cliff anymore.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

David Clowes is & will always be a hero at this club. He was also a reluctant hero & it'll be the threat of threads like this that'll be the reason why.

Decisions can obviously be questioned - its the personalisation & need to find a blame figure that I'm struggling with, particularly aimed at someone who has gone far above & beyond any Derby fan to help the club. For example, I strongly disagreed with the decision not to offer Rosenior the full time manager position last September & the decision to hire Warne but I would never 'blame' Clowes for how its turned out. He acted in what he thought were the best interests of the club at the time & that's all you can ask. As a total novice to owning a football club, its unreasonable to expect everything to go perfectly.

36 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

IMG_0170.png

FR, I should be laughing at that but Delia brings no humour to a Derby fan and I'm not sure CBR will approve the association.

If you'd included the full quotation she was saying "Let's be having' your 40 quid you Derby mugs."

The Delia song that she got in response wiped the smile off her face though.

I love Clowes, but pretending it was him or oblivion is dishonest. Mike Ashley was ready and waiting. I'd not want that man anywhere near us, but it's important to not get carried away with what Clowes did.

I am still eternally grateful to Clowes, and would have had it no other way. He's going to end up sinking a fortune into the club, and he's unlikely to see that returned. What a man. Did it all for us.

2 hours ago, sage said:

I think the title is a mistake as the OP has conceded and maybe ill-timed as we are currently in a frenzy, however, no matter how much we are grateful to DC, it can't make you impervious to any criticism whatsoever and for eternity, even if we will be eternally grateful. 

Yep. The title was rushed and clumsily worded. I don’t blame him for anything, and certainly not yet. Wanted to have a discussion of the following:

1) Is it ever acceptable to respectfully criticise Clowes’ decision making?

2) If so, when does it become acceptable to respectfully criticise?

3) Are there any decisions that Clowes has made that give you some cause for concern in regard to our ability to get out of League One and push for the Premier League, which is presumably the ultimate goal?

1 hour ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I presume that’s a piss take 

3 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Nobody has ever said that.

no, sorry,  actually you are spot on. I just listened back and all he said was that we had a budget which was  "sizeable compared to the rest of the league"  which does hint that its big compared to others but doesn't actually say that. 

After watching the Ed Dawes interview and having already written to the Pope to get David Clowes beatified for saving the club, I realised he is truly one of us. You could say he is probably an amalgamation of all the fans on this forum ( bar a couple👀) and will be thinking what an absolute shower of sh1t the last game was.

All we can do is stick with the club and hope a new formation combined with some incoming loans with pace put us back on track.

If it’s 352 Saturday with disjointed passing and gaps everywhere in Midfield DC may have to do a Mel at half time.

Edited by hintonsboots
Spelling