Is Clowes Blameless?

DarkFruitsRam7

43 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Can I ask you this .

Are you happier with how we are playing style wise and do you see future progression. Do you think David Clowes will be happy with the way we are playing.

I've always preferred expansive football from the likes of McLaren. That's my preference. That's absolutely no guidance on what we should actually be doing though. Nobody is happy with how we've started, but Clowes comes across as a patient man so I'm sure he isn't getting an itchy trigger finger. 

7 minutes ago, Curtains said:

If we are around L1 for years we will massively decline as a club 

Agree.

I pay to watch professional footballers do the things I could never do as a player. 

I loved watching McGoldrick play and currently enjoying watching Bird in possession.

Other than that, it’s just energy and effort. I could do those and whilst laudable they’re kind of a given.

Those qualities don’t provide entertainment. I could almost hear Eddie Waring commentating ‘It’s an up and under!’ on Tuesday.

It was ugly football and stupid football given our lack of tall strikers.

In my opinion we need to get youth in the team and get the ball back on the ground. It’s round so it rolls. 

I don’t want to watch rugby.

Edited by Anag Ram
Typo

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I've always preferred expansive football from the likes of McLaren. That's my preference. That's absolutely no guidance on what we should actually be doing though. Nobody is happy with how we've started, but Clowes comes across as a patient man so I'm sure he isn't getting an itchy trigger finger. 

But he only wants to play 3-5-2.  

That’s a gripe with me 

To the OP, please submit your plan for Head of Recruitment, coaching team (including Head Coach) and any other back-room staff. Please include specifically which players should be brought in and the cost in transfer fees and wages.

Finally, please submit your 3 year P&L forecast for your rebuild plan. (make sure to get this plan agreed and signed off by the EFL.

Oh, and before I forget, take £60m of your own money and sink it into a football club with no guarantees that you will get any return on your investment.

1 minute ago, NottmRAM said:

To the OP, please submit your plan for Head of Recruitment, coaching team (including Head Coach) and any other back-room staff. Please include specifically which players should be brought in and the cost in transfer fees and wages.

Finally, please submit your 3 year P&L forecast for your rebuild plan. (make sure to get this plan agreed and signed off by the EFL.

Oh, and before I forget, take £60m of your own money and sink it into a football club with no guarantees that you will get any return on your investment.

Why have a go at the OP he’s just asking a question 

39 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

People aren't angry/upset because they think we should be walking this league. There's a massive, massive gap between where we are now and walking the league.

I'd just be happy to feel like the team can turn up and play competitive football. I don't care about winning. We have no divine right to anything in football. The beauty of it is every team is exactly where they deserve to be.

A lot of people think we should walk this league 

14 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Are we allowed to criticise his decision making, given he’s the reason we exist as a football club? If so, does his decision making warrant criticism?

Not a fan of what to me seems a pretty outdated way of running the football club in terms of the team he’s put in place to make the decisions. We also seem to be terrible at attracting players, and you have to wonder whether that’s due to a lack of expertise in the way football transfer markets work.

Thoughts?

My opinion on Clowes as you have said is that without him there wouldnt be a Derby County any more. So therefore he can do whatever he wants and get my support tbh.

46 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

People aren't angry/upset because they think we should be walking this league. There's a massive, massive gap between where we are now and walking the league.

I'd just be happy to feel like the team can turn up and play competitive football. I don't care about winning. We have no divine right to anything in football. The beauty of it is every team is exactly where they deserve to be.

I just want to see the people in charge of the club (including owner and manager) make good, logical decisions for a change.

I think that, even if you believe Warne was absolutely the right man to get us up, the way we appointed him has basically doomed him to failure before he even started.  It's becoming very obvious that Warne has no intention of doing anything other than trying to recreate his Rotherham system here, so that in combination with the squad we had in place at the point he was appointed and the financial restrictions, means we're pretty much writing off 2 seasons while we replace most of the existing squad.  And no manager is going to survive 2 seasons of turmoil while he builds an entirely new squad in football.  If we don't go up (or at least come very, very close) this season, Warne is toast no matter what anyone says.

It seems very clear to me that the process that resulted in Rosenior for 10 games and then Warne, was fundamentally flawed.  And unfortunately Clowes was a big part of that process.

59 minutes ago, RamFan13 said:

That’s fair enough but I’d rather decline for a few years than us not being a club at all

They're not the only two options - it's perfectly ok for people to want to be a successful club without being constantly reminded that being terrible in league 1 is better than not existing at all!

1 hour ago, Rampant said:

If you asked Norwich and Villa fans for their thoughts on Dean Smith you'd remove him from your list pronto.

Wilder had a great run at Northampton, Oxford and, up to a point, Sheff Utd, but failed badly at Boro (shame I know) who instantly improved under a novice in Carrick. 

I think that in the modern game certain managers are good at certain levels. Maybe Smith and Wilder just didn’t have what what it took at Prem level ultimately but at this level they would be a massive upgrade on what we have now in my view.

1 hour ago, swanny said:

Clowes will always have my love for saving the club. but yes he can be criticised: he's not jesus. 

He talked about stability and has a long term view rather than a MM style 'bust the budget and go for it gamble'....the infrastructure stuff he has done at the club sound great. experienced manager, experienced head of recruitment etc... 

The facts are we now have this all in place. we apparently had the highest budget in the league,

pop tv no GIF by Schitt's Creek

Nobody has ever said that.

7 minutes ago, Topram said:

I get that pal it’s the over reaction from some fans all because they think we should, it’s a tough league 

Can you show me where these fans are please? Because I'm yet to see anyone on here have that attitude.

I'm assuming Twitter/X or Facebook pages, but I really don't like using opinions from places where there's such a depravity of wit as the basis for an argument on a standalone forum.

Edited by Kokosnuss

No he is not blameless at all. I blame him totally for rescuing us from oblivion. I blame him for that feeling of walking up the steps seeing the pitch for the first match last season. I blame him for quietly trying to restore the dignity and integrity back to our club. I blame him for trying to run our club responsibly. 
I think this thread and its title are disrespectful and ungrateful. 

18 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Nobody has ever said that.

No, but they have said they think it's good enough for a team to be promoted with, from which you can make an educated guess as to its size when you factor in our income levels vs other teams in the league, our choice of manager and the likely size of the contracts we've given out to bring in the signings we have done.

Not the best budget in the league, but very unlikely to be anything below the top 6 overall.

ps. I blame Ed Dawes! (sort of, though not really)

Imagine if he'd never gone looking for an answer about the size of the budget in the first place. Yes it was his job to ask questions but honestly I think he got a little fan-girly in Clowes' presence and they both got a little carried away.

Edited by Kokosnuss

19 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Can you show me where these fans are please? Because I'm yet to see anyone on here have that attitude.

I'm assuming Twitter/X or Facebook pages, but I really don't like using opinions from places where there's such a depravity of wit as the basis for an argument on a standalone forum.

Probably similar to the ones who think we have the biggest budget in the league - which inevitably feeds some of the inflated expectations and kneejerk guff we see on here.

13 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

No, but they have said they think it's good enough for a team to be promoted with, from which you can make an educated guess as to its size when you factor in our income levels vs other teams in the league, our choice of manager and the likely size of the contracts we've given out to bring in the signings we have done.

Not the best budget in the league, but very unlikely to be anything below the top 6 overall.

Right, so you agree with me then, when I point out that it's never been claimed to be the case.

15 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Probably similar to the ones who think we have the biggest budget in the league - which inevitably feeds some of the inflated expectations and kneejerk guff we see on here.

Right, so you agree with me then, when I point out that it's never been claimed to be the case.

...except even the quote from the guy who thought it had been said we have the biggest budget wasn't demanding instant success - just a clear plan that matches up with the vision we were given for our future. They were understanding that patience would be required if we brought in some young players to develop.

Of course I agree that nobody has actually said we've got the biggest budget, because they haven't. Not even the poster you were quoting stated it as a fact. Do you agree that people can at least make an educated guess on where it lies?

You just seem to have decided that ALL criticism is simply knee-jerk reactions and guff and refuse to hear a word of it.

Please can you tell me what you consider to be an 'inflated expectation' for this season?

Edited by Kokosnuss

47 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

No he is not blameless at all. I blame him totally for rescuing us from oblivion. I blame him for that feeling of walking up the steps seeing the pitch for the first match last season. I blame him for quietly trying to restore the dignity and integrity back to our club. I blame him for trying to run our club responsibly. 

My feelings entirely.

49 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

I think the title is a mistake as the OP has conceded and maybe ill-timed as we are currently in a frenzy, however, no matter how much we are grateful to DC, it can't make you impervious to any criticism whatsoever and for eternity, even if we will be eternally grateful. 

Edited by sage