Is Clowes Blameless?

DarkFruitsRam7

Think people are underestimating how big of a rebuild this is, 2nd season in 3 games in and everyone thinks we should be walking this league, we still can’t spend a penny by the sounds of it, just because we’re a big club doesn’t mean we’ll p*ss the league it took Ipswich a while Bolton stuck still, Sunderland a few years, give it chance and stop just expecting after the sh*te we’ve gone through 

10 hours ago, valakari said:

I dont understand how a fitness coach gets a managers job in the first place, but accepted that he did, he was good enough to get promotions with Rotherham...however, he had decided on a system which suited the players he had.

So i understand Clowes seeing 3 promotions from this Division as the right person to get us up...however, what i dont get is the timing...you surely shouldn't let your caretaker manager recruit a load of players to suit a style of playing and the replace him after a few games with a manager who plays a different system that suits a completely different type of player.

That said, when the new manager has the summer to recruit players that do fit his style and formation..he does the complete opposite....

Whoever thought this was a good idea i dont know, but as Clowes has never had anything to do with running a football club before, he surely employs experts in the club that can advise him...

Personally, i think he (Clowes), has been naive, but he saved us so he has the right to have time to put things right...

Warne i think has demonstrated that his method and style of play is awful..like Rowett and Pearson..and when you start losing playing rubbish football....the fans will turn on you....and they have!

Time to cut  our losses before he destroys anything we have..and also time is running out to get some good players in...but i'd rather a football manager came in and chose them.

Time for a Lee Carsley, or a Paul Simpson...but certainly someone who plays attractive, winning football!

So you say chopping and changing after a manager has already picked his squad was a bad idea. Then you advocate doing exactly that. Surely getting a new manager in will take a few days maybe weeks, so he will inherit a squad of players that probably wont suit his style. Next season he brings in HIS players and we go again. He loses 2 games and we move him on. Genius. That is if you can recruit a new manager who is willing to take on a club a few games in with no money and reliant on loans and freebies with an entitled fanbase like we seem to have.

There seems to be a lot of snatch panic over the fact we have not played well and lost a couple of games. This will be a long term thing WHOEVER is in charge. I don't think you can blame anyone at this stage, certainly not Clowes.

Clowes will always have my love for saving the club. but yes he can be criticised: he's not jesus. 

He talked about stability and has a long term view rather than a MM style 'bust the budget and go for it gamble'....the infrastructure stuff he has done at the club sound great. experienced manager, experienced head of recruitment etc... 

The facts are we now have this all in place. we apparently had the highest budget in the league, we have no debts (i thought at least post admin) but we dont seem able to attract anyone who isnt broken/or knocking on a bit toward the end of their career. 

If we'd signed a young team of lower league talent, some would work and some wouldn't but we could see that the words were matching the rhetoric about long term development and it would be a bit more acceptable if we werent at it right now.

maybe the remaining efl restrictions mean we can really sign players for a fee, so that negates the younger player angle (every league two club think their young star is worth £5m) , and they've decided the best way to spend our budget is on wages of players available for nowt with a track record in this division. 

so yeh i think we can be critical of clowes. hes made some big calls. and they havent worked out yet. thats not to say they wont. but for now the pressure is on a bit. any boss:  clowes/warne has to take that criticism while changes they have made arent working. 

Edited by swanny

32 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Off the top of my head, Chris Wilder, Dean Smith to name two. Obviously their wage demands might be beyond us but if not both of these would get more out of these current players than Warne, would play more attractive football and be able to attract better players. I think most of us just want to see a Derby team playing football, not this disorganised clueless garbage that seems to be the current Plan A.

If you asked Norwich and Villa fans for their thoughts on Dean Smith you'd remove him from your list pronto.

Wilder had a great run at Northampton, Oxford and, up to a point, Sheff Utd, but failed badly at Boro (shame I know) who instantly improved under a novice in Carrick. 

2 minutes ago, SSD said:

He's the reason we're still in professional football and not looking for people like me to lace up their boots against Belper Town on a Saturday.

The man not only saved the football club but saved our city. Leave him alone.

Of course he did . 

It’s still the fans football club.  Don’t forget that. 

Without fans the club is nothing . 

53 minutes ago, Topram said:

Think people are underestimating how big of a rebuild this is, 2nd season in 3 games in and everyone thinks we should be walking this league, we still can’t spend a penny by the sounds of it, just because we’re a big club doesn’t mean we’ll p*ss the league it took Ipswich a while Bolton stuck still, Sunderland a few years, give it chance and stop just expecting after the sh*te we’ve gone through 

People aren't angry/upset because they think we should be walking this league. There's a massive, massive gap between where we are now and walking the league.

I'd just be happy to feel like the team can turn up and play competitive football. I don't care about winning. We have no divine right to anything in football. The beauty of it is every team is exactly where they deserve to be.

11 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Looks like things are tuning toxic far quicker than I ever imagined.

I had concerns that if we weren't sat at the top of the table come the end of September. Some fans could become disgruntled. 

But attacks after only four games, on the person who is the sole reason why we are still watching Derby playing in the EFL, is beyond belief.

Maybe it would have been best if we had had gone under. Then we could have started at grassroots with a supporters group run club, so the only people we could moan about is ourselves.

I wouldn't consider my self in any way a happy clapping, rose tinted wearing optimistic. Yes I'm not happy with how this season as started but the reaction of some fans is plain crazy.

What I am happy with, is how the club is now being financially run. If this means we can't have a realistic go at getting promoted until we are out from under the heel of the EFL, so be it

Good post...But

Fans are fickle we all know that, Expectation was in most peoples minds this Summer, I certainly thought our defence was built on granite but now appears to be built on sand which looks to be affecting our keeper 🤷‍♂️

DC is an intelligent person who's carried on the family business, Passed his commercial pilots licence and has accumulated a decent wedge of loot 👍

If and it's a big IF these results carry on then there's going to be less people turning up which = less money to spend, PW is DCs man he gave him that 4 year contract if the house comes tumbling down then DC will have some cans to carry and saving DCFC will be a distant memory...It's how todays football works 😉  

Edited by The Last Post

In my opinion I couldn’t care less if we sit around in league 1 or league 2 for the next 5 or so years. We nearly went bust as a club and David Clowes literally stepped in last minute to save us from extinction. It’s been little over a year and we are already trying to blame the owner for stuff it’s honestly madness. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I would never even think of blaming him for anything the next few years at least while the club gets its self together again. His plan is to obviously stabilise us as a club and get us back to being competitive again. It’s a long process so I really wouldn’t expect quick results; it’s going to be a tough few years.

Edited by RamFan13

5 minutes ago, RamFan13 said:

In my opinion I couldn’t care less if we sit around in league 1 or league 2 for the next 5 or so years. We nearly went bust as a club and David Clowes literally stepped in last minute to save us from extinction. It’s been little over a year and we are already trying to blame the owner for stuff it’s honestly madness. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I would never even think of blaming him for anything the next few years at least while the club gets its self together again. His plan is to obviously stabilise us as a club and get us back to being competitive again. It’s a long process so I really wouldn’t expect quick results; it’s going to be a tough few years.

If we are around L1 for years we will massively decline as a club 

Just now, RamFan13 said:

That’s fair enough but I’d rather decline for a few years than us not being a club at all

I’m necessarily agreeing with the theory without Clowes we would have no club at all.  We would be a L2 club I rather suspect at this point.  
The club would still be a club if you get my meaning. 

End of the day yes we should be very grateful for what Clowes did. 

Was appointing Warne on a 4 year contract and signing older players the right thing to do !

Warne said he wanted a younger age group.  
Clowes knew Warne played 3-5-2 or didn’t he research it