Is Clowes Blameless?

DarkFruitsRam7

29 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Warne seems very much to be in a traditional “manager” role where he, along with a couple of others (one of whom is his own right-hand man), are effectively running the whole football club. I’ve always been in favour of a director of football model and a clear identity running through the club that means changing managers won’t have a seismic effect on playing style, recruitment style, etc. 

I also don’t think I’ll ever be convinced Stephen Pearce should be anywhere near the club, though it doesn’t wind me up as much as it does others. 

I can’t really criticise the appointment of Warne. I thought it was a bold but good decision at the time. Though I’m certainly having serious doubts about him now. Even if he turns it around and we go up, I think there’s very little chance we end up pushing for the Premier League with him in charge - he just doesn’t seem to have the tactical nous and seems to struggle with pressure.

You might question this, but I think his background as a commercial pilot probably influences his decision making more than his business background.

Being a commercial pilot is one of the most demanding careers to undertake, massive responsibility at all times, and a very presciptive working environment, double checklists for every action, and always a co-pilot backing and checking every single action.

I don't imagine he'd have thrown so much resource into his ownership without having consulted with an experienced, trusted hand to guide him, so maybe he's got a de-facto DOF that we're simply unaware of?

37 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I don’t know that blame is the right word to use in the title. What is it you’re looking to blame him for @DarkFruitsRam7
On the question of whether we can criticise his decisions, I’d say if there’s valid reason then anything is open to criticism. He’s a hero for saving the club, doesn’t mean he’s infallible, he is only human after all. 

Blame is definitely too strong of a word at this point. I guess I mean if we don’t end up getting promoted in the next few years, the decisions I’ve started to question (club hierarchy, recruitment, etc) would become cause for justified criticism.

Nothing to blame him for at this point, but that may well change if we fail in our objectives.

I dont understand how a fitness coach gets a managers job in the first place, but accepted that he did, he was good enough to get promotions with Rotherham...however, he had decided on a system which suited the players he had.

So i understand Clowes seeing 3 promotions from this Division as the right person to get us up...however, what i dont get is the timing...you surely shouldn't let your caretaker manager recruit a load of players to suit a style of playing and the replace him after a few games with a manager who plays a different system that suits a completely different type of player.

That said, when the new manager has the summer to recruit players that do fit his style and formation..he does the complete opposite....

Whoever thought this was a good idea i dont know, but as Clowes has never had anything to do with running a football club before, he surely employs experts in the club that can advise him...

Personally, i think he (Clowes), has been naive, but he saved us so he has the right to have time to put things right...

Warne i think has demonstrated that his method and style of play is awful..like Rowett and Pearson..and when you start losing playing rubbish football....the fans will turn on you....and they have!

Time to cut our losses before he destroys anything we have..and also time is running out to get some good players in...but i'd rather a football manager came in and chose them.

Time for a Lee Carsley, or a Paul Simpson...but certainly someone who plays attractive, winning football!

Critique may be a better term to use than blame. At the end of the day, he’s a fan just like everyone else here, except he’s got a hell of a lot more money. He chose to use some of it to save our club, when nobody else would/could.

As a fan he’s going to have his opinions and decisions, doesn’t mean they’re going to be right. Some of us may have made the same decision, others would’ve done things vastly different. That’s fine, but it’s not our money at stake. That’s why it’s quite easy to say things like “if I was Clowes I’d sack him straight away”, but if it was costing you £1.5mil (rough estimate), then you may not be so quick to pull the trigger.

The bloke is one year in to a role he never really wanted, and never expected to have. I’m not going to start pointing the finger at him. Mel Morris made lots of questionable decisions, but that’s not what got him his current opinion from Derby fans. He got that by mismanaging us and leaving us in possibly the biggest mess he could’ve left us is. As long as Clowes runs Derby sensibly, he may make wrong decisions, but that’s different from taking actions that’ll harm the club.

Clowes is an incredibly experienced businessman, but an incredibly inexperienced football man. He’s a fan like us all, doesn’t mean you have a natural talent to run a club, especially one that means so much to you. Mistakes probably have already happened, and will continue to happen, but it’s a learning experience and I won’t turn on him for that.

2 hours ago, The_Sheriff said:

My personal opinion is not to criticise clowes.

Hes the reason we have a club. Hes running it sustainably so we dont have this threat again.

Sure the decisions hes made may not pay off but thats normal in life and business.

Well said. We all owe him a massive thank you, without him we don't have a club 

Looks like things are tuning toxic far quicker than I ever imagined.

I had concerns that if we weren't sat at the top of the table come the end of September. Some fans could become disgruntled. 

But attacks after only four games, on the person who is the sole reason why we are still watching Derby playing in the EFL, is beyond belief.

Maybe it would have been best if we had had gone under. Then we could have started at grassroots with a supporters group run club, so the only people we could moan about is ourselves.

I wouldn't consider my self in any way a happy clapping, rose tinted wearing optimistic. Yes I'm not happy with how this season as started but the reaction of some fans is plain crazy.

What I am happy with, is how the club is now being financially run. If this means we can't have a realistic go at getting promoted until we are out from under the heel of the EFL, so be it

Just now, oodledoodle said:

We're not chained up. It's just nobody wants to play for Warne.

We signed plenty last summer.

That’s a fair point. 

The only thing I'd be asking of Clowes which is a bit benefit of hindsight and he might turn out alright but did we need to offer Warne such a long contract? We're potentially stuck with him until 2026. I suspect to attract him down a league we couldn't get away with offering him 2 years for example.