Eiran Cashin

Heisenberg

Just been listening to the phone in and the interest in Cashin was discussed. The caller that thinks we should get £10m for him needs a reality check. He is a L1 player with a contract expiring next June. No one will pay anything like that when they can get him for free less some compensation next year. Eric fuelling the fire with suggesting sizeable add ons to the fee is very optimistic. 

Cash has a LOT of potential, but he's always going to be hindered by his lack of pace. In today's game, the defensive line is often sitting inside the opponents half of the pitch, and a ball over the top will ruin him again and again. He'd have been an excellent sweeper back in the day, but you'll always be asking the rest of the team to cover his inadequacies and it'll be exposed more the further up the pyramid he goes.

His contract is up, and that means his market value will not get any lower. If there's an offer and the mandatory loan back is on the table, then we'd be stupid not to accept. If it's a case of needing to spend the money immediately on a replacement, I'd hold him and let him go next summer.

As an aside, I'd be interested to see if he could be turned into a scrappy, nasty, ball-winning defensive midfielder.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I wonder if he has a choice, especially now that Warne wants to spend his transfer fee? Perhaps like Lampard to Chelsea he thinks it's his only chance at the 'big time'?

If he's had the right advice Roy, he will know and then it's up to him. I've worked out the Brighton business model; I think others on here have too; I think @GhostofClough has grasped it. But have his advisers and the management of Derby County? I don't know. If I was Warne and I had cottoned on to it then I would have slipped it into one of the very talkative interviews he involves himself in, providing that is that Warne wants him to stay as opposed to topping up his transfer pot. Ask Gringo, he thinks he's got inside David Clowes' head 😂😂; that's where this thread started.

I think Eiran may be too young and innocent to work out his own interests a la Lampard. But rest assured I believe that like the young man he is, he loves walking around Pride Park after a game, taking the applause of 30k appreciative fans. He can forget that adulation at Brighton; it just ain't going to happen. I have no idea about what his agents are telling them as they mull over their cut of the transfer fee. Let's just hope they've got Eiran's best interests at heart.

I agree with you @Brailsford Ram but in the back of any young player's mind will be "this could be my one big chance".

When you're young, you are warned about how dangerous motorbikes can be (because of other road users) but does it stop you wanting one? No. "Accidents only happen to other people". 

Similarly, "What happened to Matt Clarke won't happen to me".

---

My other concern in all of this is Warne.... He doesn't seem to 'trust' the players that were here before him. 'Trust' is the wrong word but I can imagine him preferring an ex-Rovrum player over Cashin, regardless of their respective abilities.

5 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I wonder if he has a choice, especially now that Warne wants to spend his transfer fee? Perhaps like Lampard to Chelsea he thinks it's his only chance at the 'big time'?

Lampard had a decent start to his managerial career with Derby but then cocked it up because he just couldn't resist going there at the first opportunity. He wasn't ready for it at that time and indeed it may always have been the case that he would never be up to it. We all know that great players rarely turn into great managers. If he had the capacity to step up, it was too soon and that was a widely expressed concern on here at the time. He didn't last long as was the trend at Chelsea and now he has failure at Everton and the second farcical temporary return to Chelsea on his CV. You'd have thought that Uncle Harry might have given him cautious advice but no, he encouraged him. Now Frank has about as much chance as getting another elite football managerial job as the rest of us.

Frank was old and wealthy enough to take the consequences of his own bad decisions. Cashin is not and that's why he needs the guidance of good advice to help him. If the advice is to avoid Brighton, he simply doesn't agree the deal, stays here and waits for an offer to go somewhere suitable. If Warne doesn't like that then tough on him. He'd be a fool not to play Cashin in our current position.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

11 hours ago, IslandExile said:

I agree with you @Brailsford Ram but in the back of any young player's mind will be "this could be my one big chance".

When you're young, you are warned about how dangerous motorbikes can be (because of other road users) but does it stop you wanting one? No. "Accidents only happen to other people". 

Similarly, "What happened to Matt Clarke won't happen to me".

---

My other concern in all of this is Warne.... He doesn't seem to 'trust' the players that were here before him. 'Trust' is the wrong word but I can imagine him preferring an ex-Rovrum player over Cashin, regardless of their respective abilities.

I bet Matt Clarke is already set up for life financially though.

That will always be in a young player's mind.

27 minutes ago, Addingham Ram said:

He would have been playing in the Championship anyway. How much more set up for life would he be? 

And maybe Waggy isn't the only player in the leagues that is unhappy playing somewhere his family aren't?

3 minutes ago, Addingham Ram said:

Yes of course the financial aspects are great providing you look after what you earned. But my point is not that Cashin should not leave Derby County but for his own benefit when the time comes to move on, and that may well be this month, it is important for him to go to a club which is a good fit for him and offers him a good chance of continuing personal development as a footballer. For the reasons I have outlined I simply question if that club is Brighton? He's an up and coming established first-team player now who I think will be well pleased with how he has progressed. He's quite a big fish in a small pool here but that ends as soon as he gets to Brighton where he will suddenly become a minnow again and have to fight his way up to a much more crowded pond. I think his chances of ever playing first-team league football are very small. There are a few Championship clubs who have aspirations for promotion in the next two years and would increase his current wages. If of course any of them would want him, that sort of club could be more suitable for him and also offer him a chance to play in the top tier too. Not Brighton for me.

15 hours ago, NorwichExile said:

Cash has a LOT of potential, but he's always going to be hindered by his lack of pace. In today's game, the defensive line is often sitting inside the opponents half of the pitch, and a ball over the top will ruin him again and again. He'd have been an excellent sweeper back in the day, but you'll always be asking the rest of the team to cover his inadequacies and it'll be exposed more the further up the pyramid he goes.

His contract is up, and that means his market value will not get any lower. If there's an offer and the mandatory loan back is on the table, then we'd be stupid not to accept. If it's a case of needing to spend the money immediately on a replacement, I'd hold him and let him go next summer.

As an aside, I'd be interested to see if he could be turned into a scrappy, nasty, ball-winning defensive midfielder.

I don't think he's actually as slow as people make out. He's slow in the first 5-10 yards but usually makes that up, a bit like Bowser in Mario Kart. Plus, he can tackle. It's true that better, quicker forwards will probably show him up though.
I'd like to see him at DM too!

1 hour ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

I don't think he's actually as slow as people make out. He's slow in the first 5-10 yards but usually makes that up, a bit like Bowser in Mario Kart. Plus, he can tackle. It's true that better, quicker forwards will probably show him up though.
I'd like to see him at DM too!

Bowser? Mario Kart? New German CB?

6 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Yes of course the financial aspects are great providing you look after what you earned. But my point is not that Cashin should not leave Derby County but for his own benefit when the time comes to move on, and that may well be this month, it is important for him to go to a club which is a good fit for him and offers him a good chance of continuing personal development as a footballer. For the reasons I have outlined I simply question if that club is Brighton? He's an up and coming established first-team player now who I think will be well pleased with how he has progressed. He's quite a big fish in a small pool here but that ends as soon as he gets to Brighton where he will suddenly become a minnow again and have to fight his way up to a much more crowded pond. I think his chances of ever playing first-team league football are very small. There are a few Championship clubs who have aspirations for promotion in the next two years and would increase his current wages. If of course any of them would want him, that sort of club could be more suitable for him and also offer him a chance to play in the top tier too. Not Brighton for me.

I can't see Cashin getting into the Brighton first team any time soon, and he may be the 'next Matt Clarke'. However, when Clarke joined Brighton their 4 central defenders were Dunk, Webster, Burn and Duffy. Duffy was arguably past it, Dunk and Burn hadn't really set the world alight , and Webster had had one decent season with Barnsley iirc. Clarke ultimately didn't raise his game enough. Cashin might be able to (although I don't personally see it).

Cashin could be converted into a defensive midfielder where his tackling could be utilised and his lack of pace not exposed. 

He’s not bad in the air so would also help shield the back two.

I think that’s how we could use him too when Warne wants more protection. Would allow us to play more progressive midfielders.

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Cashin could be converted into a defensive midfielder where his tackling could be utilised and his lack of pace not exposed. 

He’s not bad in the air so would also help shield the back two.

I think that’s how we could use him too when Warne wants more protection. Would allow us to play more progressive midfielders.

He is nowhere near good enough on the ball or has good enough touch in tight spaces. His lack of lateral movement and short area quickness would be exposed big time. Keep seeing this suggested and it would be awful. 

Discussion on Radio Derby at six tonight on Cashin with journalist who covers Brighton.

Four bids made each a improvement on the last but nowhere near Derby's valuation in fact considerably less.

Could be open for loan back but they are unlikely to go past their valuation if not accepted will move on.

We need to know what that final offer is fairly quickly to bring this to a conclusion and know if we have money to reinvest.

Personally I think Brighton are an excellent example of how to recruit and run a football club, obviously I have no idea of wages but they get youngsters with potential in and develop/loan them out either for their first team or for a profit. Read articles with their scouts about the recruitment of Ferguson and Moran, two Irish youngsters and their recruitment and development, they also have a plan for development which involves loaning out as part of a players development, not to mention at first team level they sell high and have succession planning for every role at the club in place.

Latest thing they are doing is signing young English keepers, as the Chairman/club have decided that that is where the next big value in the market is, Rio Ferdinands lad is there, they have 2 age group England keepers and one Canadian (previously English, but switched) 

Taking my Derby glasses off for a second if I was a Derby player playing in the 3rd division on a restricted contract and Brighton wanted me, then I'd be off both financially and professionally, if it doesn't work at Brighton then a sale to the Champ looks a good bet, would you risk that against us rising up the leagues at the moment (no slight on where we are, it is what it is) 

A sale with loan back sounds great in my view, especially if as Eric Steele says there are possibly add ons, and may help us get more quality (midfield) in the side.

I'd love Cash to stay, but a deal away may suit everyone really.

All my opinion of course.

34 minutes ago, Mick Harford said:

Personally I think Brighton are an excellent example of how to recruit and run a football club, obviously I have no idea of wages but they get youngsters with potential in and develop/loan them out either for their first team or for a profit. Read articles with their scouts about the recruitment of Ferguson and Moran, two Irish youngsters and their recruitment and development, they also have a plan for development which involves loaning out as part of a players development, not to mention at first team level they sell high and have succession planning for every role at the club in place.

Latest thing they are doing is signing young English keepers, as the Chairman/club have decided that that is where the next big value in the market is, Rio Ferdinands lad is there, they have 2 age group England keepers and one Canadian (previously English, but switched) 

Taking my Derby glasses off for a second if I was a Derby player playing in the 3rd division on a restricted contract and Brighton wanted me, then I'd be off both financially and professionally, if it doesn't work at Brighton then a sale to the Champ looks a good bet, would you risk that against us rising up the leagues at the moment (no slight on where we are, it is what it is) 

A sale with loan back sounds great in my view, especially if as Eric Steele says there are possibly add ons, and may help us get more quality (midfield) in the side.

Listened to an interview with their Chief Exec on Saturday. He said they look to buy young players ahead of when they need them (planning ahead) and then develop to sell at profit. Interestingly he made no mention of developing any home grown talent. But equally contradicted himself with the statement about buying ahead before they need the players, but they try to sell them anyway.

52 minutes ago, Mick Harford said:

So we sell at a high price and get a free loan for the season? If that's how we intend to do business it might be good for the Club. I wonder what Cash really thinks?