So who would we have then?

Gerry Daly

6 hours ago, Terry Hennessy said:

17 MANAGERS IN 16 YEARS HAS GOT US TO WHERE WE ARE NOW.... 

12 permanent managers...

Davies: 2006-2007

Jewell: 2007-2008

Clough: 2009-2013

Mac1: 2013-2015

Clement: 2015-2016

Pearson: 2016-2016

Mac2: 2016-2017

Rowett: 2017-2018

Lampard: 2018-2019

Cocu: 2019-2020

Rooney: 2020-2022

Warne: 2022-2023

Since sacking managers has "got us where we are", it's a shame didn't give Jewell more time as we'd be playign in Europe by now... Or Pearson.. or even Cocu... sometimes you just need to get rid of managers who aren't taking you anywhere.

Edited by Ghost of Clough

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Brentford and Brighton are where they are after 10-15 years of gradual building. Bloom has been owner of Brighton since 2009 and Benham has been owner of Brentford since 2012 and has been an investor since 2007.

Yes, both clubs are great examples of how to get things right. But over that time period, they have had near misses and some highs and lows too. It hasn’t been completely smooth sailing but they have developed a club philosophy and stayed true to it and probably been able to because of the relatively low expectations.

Clowes has been owner of the club for just over a year so perhaps we need to be patient and understand that what Clowes is trying to build and trying to instil will take more than 12 months.

Perhaps a fairer comparison is other clubs who have come out of administration and bounced back from relegation?

It took Leeds three seasons to get promoted out of League 1 following administration and relegation. It took Southampton two seasons. Bolton suffered back to back relegations and are now into their fourth campaign in five in League 1.

Yes, the football isn’t great at the moment but the club is in recovery mode and perhaps we have to be realistic about those timescales. Expecting us to get promoted playing champagne football at this stage in our recovery is only something you might witness in a fairytale.

Stick with the club. Keep going to games when you can. Pain often comes before glory.

You’re exaggerating to suit your own narrative…I don’t expect champagne football and yes I would like some cohesive type of football and after a year I’m seeing us get steadily worse

it costs me over a 100 quid with fuel and beer and food and ticket to watch a load of b******* basically and I’ve travelled all over and not only in the good times I went to virtually every game home and away including midweek games when we were last in this division 

I underdstand about building teams and the transition from nearly extinct to flourishing but I’m not seeing the foundations being securely put in place yet from our gaffer that’s why I’m concerned 

if you’re going to lay foundations then at least build them correctly and solidly or it’s pointless 

my point is if we had a manager who was trying to build something with gameplay that I remotely could buy into I’d agree as it takes time …but I’m not seeing that at all and wonder how much we are regressing and accumulating the wrong type of players for the football id like to see …I do understand your points but I don’t need the glaringly obvious pointing out cannot see it getting better under Warne I’m afraid Jourdan just my opinion 

Edited by S8TY

45 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

12 permanent managers...

Davies: 2006-2007

Jewell: 2007-2008

Clough: 2009-2013

Mac1: 2013-2015

Clement: 2015-2016

Pearson: 2016-2016

Mac2: 2016-2017

Rowett: 2017-2018

Lampard: 2018-2019

Cocu: 2019-2020

Rooney: 2020-2022

Warne: 2022-2023

Since sacking managers has "got us where we are", it's a shame didn't give Jewell more time as we'd be playign in Europe by now... Or Pearson.. or even Cocu... sometimes you just need to get rid of managers who aren't taking you anywhere.

Some of those managers weren't sacked though.

When it comes to managers I always think would I be gutted/bothered if they went.

I can honestly say and this is only my opinion but since George Burley I haven't really been upset when any of the managers have gone. None of the managers who have either been sacked or left for other jobs have left me thinking oh no what did we do that for and where do we go from here.

I like stability, I like managers to build a club and have time, however when Mac took over from clough you can see sometimes a change can completely change a club almost overnight.

Am I Warne out? No

Would I be gutted if he left? I'm leaning more towards no at the moment.

Saturdays display wasn't good enough.

1 minute ago, KBB said:

When it comes to managers I always think would I be gutted/bothered if they went.

I can honestly say and this is only my opinion but since George Burley I haven't really been upset when any of the managers have gone. None of the managers who have either been sacked or left for other jobs have left me thinking oh no what did we do that for and where do we go from here.

I like stability, I like managers to build a club and have time, however when Mac took over from clough you can see sometimes a change can completely change a club almost overnight.

Am I Warne out? No

Would I be gutted if he left? I'm leaning more towards no at the moment.

Saturdays display wasn't good enough.

What would we lose do you think if Warne left to go elsewhere?

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What would we lose do you think if Warne left to go elsewhere?

To be honest, not much I'm afraid.

I'm not advocating for him to be sacked. I'm not shouting Warne out and making hyperbolic statements of him being the new Phil brown and this is the worst side in history or anything like that.

I just feel that Saturdays display, coupled with others during his tenure have left me with the feeling that the playing side of the club is regressing and it is now becoming an issue for me.

I think fans forget that he hadn't been parachuted in yesterday.

Look at what happened at Ipswich when they made a change and got it right. Can we do the same?

1 hour ago, hintonsboots said:

He’s assistant coach. Can’t really see the correlation between how Utd are performing and how he would do back at Derby. He’s probably got more coaching nouse in his little finger than many. I presume you’re not keen ?

Not really no, and if assistant coach at united he must have had some input surely

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Perhaps a fairer comparison is other clubs who have come out of administration and bounced back from relegation?

It took Leeds three seasons to get promoted out of League 1 following administration and relegation. It took Southampton two seasons. Bolton suffered back to back relegations and are now into their fourth campaign in five in League 1.

Yes, the football isn’t great at the moment but the club is in recovery mode and perhaps we have to be realistic about those timescales. Expecting us to get promoted playing champagne football at this stage in our recovery is only something you might witness in a fairytale.

Interesting comparisons you've made there.

First obvious comment is that both Leeds & Southampton had points deductions in their first season in League One - 15 for Leeds & 10 for Southampton. Leeds were still able to finish 5th that first season (91 points before deductions) & Southampton finished 7th (83 points before deductions) - both better than Warne could manage in his first season. Pointing to the number of seasons they spent in League One has to be seen in the context of the disadvantages they had that we didn't.

Despite that, both Leeds & Southampton fired their managers the following season after 12 months in charge (Gary McAllister & Alan Pardew), before making the ultimate appointments that took them up (Simon Grayson & Nigel Adkins). Probably a lesson in there somewhere.

Re Bolton, this is their 3rd season in League One after being promoted from League Two - they weren't a Championship step down. They've come from a long way further back than us but have shown consistent improvement since returning - 9th in 2021/22 and 5th 2022/23. By contrast, I don't think even you would argue Derby have improved in the 12 months Warne has been in charge.

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

You’re exaggerating to suit your own narrative…I don’t expect champagne football and yes I would like some cohesive type of football and after a year I’m seeing us get steadily worse

it costs me over a 100 quid with fuel and beer and food and ticket to watch a load of b******* basically and I’ve travelled all over and not only in the good times I went to virtually every game home and away including midweek games when we were last in this division 

I underdstand about building teams and the transition from nearly extinct to flourishing but I’m not seeing the foundations being securely put in place yet from our gaffer that’s why I’m concerned 

if you’re going to lay foundations then at least build them correctly and solidly or it’s pointless 

my point is if we had a manager who was trying to build something with gameplay that I remotely could buy into I’d agree as it takes time …but I’m not seeing that at all and wonder how much we are regressing and accumulating the wrong type of players for the football id like to see …I do understand your points but I don’t need the glaringly obvious pointing out cannot see it getting better under Warne I’m afraid Jourdan just my opinion 

What is my narrative? It’s not really about supporting Warne. I haven’t defended any of the performances so far this season. The results are a reflection of an unsettled and disjointed team. Believe me, a 500-mile round trip to see us look so ordinary v Wigan did nothing but set off massive alarm bells. 

My narrative is more about time and patience and not expecting too much too soon. If a new manager walked in tomorrow, I wouldn’t be expecting an immediate upshot either. I honestly don’t think this is a squad that is playing well below its ceiling, so what would a new manager who can only bring in free agents until January really affect?

We’ve all watched enough football to know that Warne is under pressure. Bad performances and bad results - it’s not the kind of marriage that can last, so Warne probably has 9-10 games to turn things around. Like him or not, that’s the harsh reality of football.

Personally I’d give him until the end of the season but I am not the one who makes those decisions. The question is then, what do we do if the new manager doesn’t hit the ground running?

I can understand your concerns but as you have said, you have been a long-time supporter for tens of years and you have seen the few highs and many lows. If you have got this far, why would you stop now?

13 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Mental to think, he is the last man and the only man in 20 years to provide Premier League football to this club..

Just a shame he is a game player who knows how to manipulate things to get a nice fat payoff 

I think in todays parlance one might suggest he has 'mental health' issues. To be fair.

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

...My narrative is more about time and patience and not expecting too much too soon. If a new manager walked in tomorrow, I wouldn’t be expecting an immediate upshot either. I honestly don’t think this is a squad that is playing well below its ceiling, so what would a new manager who can only bring in free agents until January really affect? ...

It's not 'tomorrow' for Warne, he's had a year to get to this point!

Edited by RoyMac5