Drum in South Upper Block D

therams69

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

OK, so let’s try it for a few games and see if anyone notices the difference. Also, regarding your final paragraph, I did say a poll of the South Standers not the whole ground. 

That's what we asked for ... It was always a trial .. I genuinely believe perhaps if we had won nothing more would of been said and fans would have enjoyed it .. Like the many other games where it was great! Can always drag up the youtube videos.....

Sorry misread mate!

7 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Think on this for a moment too. If the drum is in D block, the rowdiest block, and is getting complaints there, maybe it isn't doing much for the people who do want to sing and create an atmosphere.

If D Block don't want it, it probably doesn't have a home anywhere. Those are the people least likely to moan about the drum, and yet they have done

A minority. Only 1 person at the time said something to Adam and he knew him. No one complained to stewards at the time... Very much a reactive complaint. Plan was always if Adam got heat during the game he was going to leave area..

4 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

I have no particular objection to the drum, but…THIS!

When I started going it was simple songs about the team you could sing loudly, and songs about our own players…even the s*** ones. Not sure where that got lost.

Agree. I think one of the main issues is the deafening music culminating in the last 💩song played at the end of half time. No point starting trying to sing anything in the build up to whistle and get atmosphere going as couldnt hear anything. So no atmosphere before start of each half.

I like the drum but it seems to work best to start singing in the lulls or quieter games as it doesnt allow the crowd to dictate the singing based on events on pitch as one person or a small group chooses the song. Last night until depression kicked in across the ground was much more natural singing with no drum but when it falls flat drum great to start it up again. Could the drum be in the gap at bottom of South west corner never sold? 

while we're on it the spirit in sky song is not catching on at all. Like the sentiment but so dreary and too complicated. Sounds like bunch of drunk relatives sat in a corner at a wake. (Actually apt last night thinking about it.) Totally agree with second para from @jimbo jones. Simple to pick up short songs by far best. Know I bang on about it but the sammie winnall song totally perfect or osula one. And why do they always have to have the F word in? Not a prude at all but seriously?

3 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

This

The football noise this weekend from the EPL was very very limited, You have to ask yourself WHY!, I've a friend who's a Spurs fan and a season ticket holder...lives in Ambergate, ST costs £6k he was a bit of a lad back in the day, Now he sits in the middle tier has a meal and a pint and watches the game in comfort...crazy aint it, When he can't make the game he sells the ticket for...wait for it £300...mental.

Times are changing and have been for a good few years, Songs have had their guts ripped out and changed for the TV customer as those don't like to hear those "nasty words" 😉, It's a tough call fella but if people are paying good money then it's money that calls the shots...as is always.

Indeed mate and top post. Just trying to improve things to ultimately make our team better. This goes back to the very first meeting I had with Cloughie over it all back in the late 00's.

I think it's a bit of a shame.

Further evidence that some in the South are only there because it's one of the cheaper areas. That being said, I used to play the drums and can fully understand not wanting it in close proximity.

It does feel a bit 'what do you want?' when people complain about a lack of atmosphere - but then complain about what fans are trying to do to combat it, without actually offering any alternatives.

Ive sat in the South Stand since the move to it, the drum used to be near me & it does go right through you, I was happy when it got moved, my personal opinion which was shared by many around me was that it wad better down the front.

When I saw it being moved up the top again for the Wigan game I thought ffs its back up here. Thankfully its far enough away to not be that irritating.

If the people complaining have been in the South Stand for years then why should they move to accomodate the drum? As said before, it does go right through you & is very loud so they have every right to complain about it.

Being in the South Stand doesnt mean you have to sing nor have to like the drum. Some will like to be in and around atmosphere but not want to contribute, some will like singing & not the drum then some will like to sing & have the drum. 

Doesn’t bother me but I don’t sit near it. I quite like it, but I wish we had better songs that everyone can sing, some of them I either don’t want to sing (NML) or I can’t pick up the words. But when I read yet another thing being cancelled because a small minority object my heart sinks. If you don’t like something now you complain, add a bit of a ‘it’s damaging my health’ type whinge and lo and behold, it’s gone. 

2 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I think it's a bit of a shame.

Further evidence that some in the South are only there because it's one of the cheaper areas. That being said, I used to play the drums and can fully understand not wanting it in close proximity.

It does feel a bit 'what do you want?' when people complain about a lack of atmosphere - but then complain about what fans are trying to do to combat it, without actually offering any alternatives.

Someone moved into our village next door to church and complained about church clock bell. No longer bell. Do you think they're south stand newbies this year?

1 hour ago, angieram said:

It makes me laugh when people say they want to be in and around the atmosphere but don't want to contribute. FFS, if everyone felt like that there'd be no bloody atmosphere! 

I havent seen the new people in front of us even speak during match yet let alone sing, clap or shout. 

Keep the drum and get rid of the pathetic Collymore chant etc Let’s have more supporting our players and less abusing the opposition supporters-at least they have turned out-fair play to fans like Blackpools who came last week. I just shut down with that- only want to encourage us. I’m sure many more will join in especially from East stand etc with those

3 hours ago, therams69 said:

AGREE! Then players cocks came along....

How the hell did you get that through the forum swear-o-meter?
I could only dream about mentioning cocks, and getting away it!

EDIT:
Ye gads!  It fuckin' worked!  Happy days!  

EDIT2:
Holy s***!  I think the swear-o-meter is broke!

EDIT 3:
Yep.  Workin' again!  Phew!  Thank The Lord!

Edited by Mucker1884
only went and swore, live on the forum, innit! :-)

3 hours ago, therams69 said:

Its really not a case of someone just tunelessly smashing a drum all game though is it... Its joining in with said song at the time and again I question if you are not joining in with the song what's the point of being there.

It has been mentioned about making a special block available in Block D for example but this would mean turning fans out of there seats who want to be there - hardly a win win. There are no available seats, this is the issue.

It's not about the other end of the ground hearing it.

Yes and that's your opinion. People shouldn't be forced to do something just because you personally think that's how things should be done. 

If there are no available seats then don't use the drum. Your solution of moving people out of the south stand if they don't like the drum also won't work in that case will it then if there are no available seats.

I'm not sure you understood what I said. If you can hear the drum from the other side of the ground, which you can, its going to damage the hearing of anybody sat next to it. That is the point. Nobody is going to want to have to experience that game after game unless they are smashed off their head and don't know any better 

4 hours ago, therams69 said:

I dont even sit with the guys mentioned Tombo.

What i meant by the cancel culture. Zero complaints in 3 years where the drum originally was to many complaints after 1 game  

And that’s the crux of the matter. Its the new position that’s the problem, not the drum itself. 
believe it or not but people might not want to have the drum right next to them. 

33 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Someone moved into our village next door to church and complained about church clock bell. No longer bell. Do you think they're south stand newbies this year?

They moved next to a church they should’ve known what the noise was going to be like, it’s not the same as you’ve had your seat at pride park for x amount of years and somebody comes and sits behind you banging a drum