Drum in South Upper Block D

therams69

I find it a bit buzzling he has had to go. He helped bring the atmosphere to the south stand. The drum has been a big part of the south stand for many years!!

I think the drum should be at the front where it doesn't echo as much though.

18 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

They moved next to a church they should’ve known what the noise was going to be like, it’s not the same as you’ve had your seat at pride park for x amount of years and somebody comes and sits behind you banging a drum

Yes as I said are they south stand newbies?

Bloody hell, Nick, it's like groundhog day. All these years and your stilI up against it 😂 Fair play for persevering.

I remember the amount of effort than went into securing the South Stand by yourself and others. All done for no personal benefit, just a collective desire to improve the atmosphere. Numerous meetings, numerous setbacks and a few false starts before things got sorted. It was always about creating a dedicated singing stand and it was advertised as such. The drum was always part of the arrangement and was there from the beginning. It was not something that was sprung on unsuspecting supporters without warning. I feel that a lot of fans originally went into the South Stand because of the cheap tickets and that's perfectly fine, but it was with the knowledge that it was a singing stand. It's like buying a cheap house that is next to a noisy factory and then complaining about the noisy factory. It was cheap for a reason. Other area's are available. 

My general take on atmosphere - keep the songs simple, keep them going (other supporters will cut in and out depending on the action), bin the swearing, it's not needed, use the drum sparingly to start a song or keep a rhythm if needed, and most of all use the atmosphere to lift the players when they need it most e.g. just after conceding etc. Even if just a small group persist with the singing then other people will join in in due course.

On a lighter note, believe it or not, I am considering attending a game - Shrewsbury away as it is the nearest ground to where I now reside so would be great to catch up.

P.S - Send my regards to Adam, he deserves a medal.

5 hours ago, therams69 said:

You would think so Angie. I think they had quite a few so going on of upwards of 5 or more..

Like i said earlier, zero complaints on social media that night.....

Maybe your "socials" are a limited selection of the broad church that is Derby fans. 

4 hours ago, therams69 said:

A minority. Only 1 person at the time said something to Adam and he knew him. No one complained to stewards at the time... Very much a reactive complaint. Plan was always if Adam got heat during the game he was going to leave area..

I wouldn't feel comfortable confronting a group of lads with a drum in the south stand, personally. A handful of fans complained but how many didn't enjoy it and didn't complain? How many people on here have agreed with you Vs disagreed?

5 minutes ago, Bontddu Ram said:

Bloody hell, Nick, it's like groundhog day. All these years and your stilI up against it 😂 Fair play for persevering.

I remember the amount of effort than went into securing the South Stand by yourself and others. All done for no personal benefit, just a collective desire to improve the atmosphere. Numerous meetings, numerous setbacks and a few false starts before things got sorted. It was always about creating a dedicated singing stand and it was advertised as such. The drum was always part of the arrangement and was there from the beginning. It was not something that was sprung on unsuspecting supporters without warning. I feel that a lot of fans originally went into the South Stand because of the cheap tickets and that's perfectly fine, but it was with the knowledge that it was a singing stand. It's like buying a cheap house that is next to a noisy factory and then complaining about the noisy factory. It was cheap for a reason. Other area's are available. 

My general take on atmosphere - keep the songs simple, keep them going (other supporters will cut in and out depending on the action), bin the swearing, it's not needed, use the drum sparingly to start a song or keep a rhythm if needed, and most of all use the atmosphere to lift the players when they need it most e.g. just after conceding etc. Even if just a small group persist with the singing then other people will join in in due course.

On a lighter note, believe it or not, I am considering attending a game - Shrewsbury away as it is the nearest ground to where I now reside so would be great to catch up.

P.S - Send my regards to Adam, he deserves a medal.

Top post as always mate! Will see you at the Shrews and glad to see you still reading the forums!

5 minutes ago, Ramchop said:

Maybe your "socials" are a limited selection of the broad church that is Derby fans. 

I wouldn't feel comfortable confronting a group of lads with a drum in the south stand, personally. A handful of fans complained but how many didn't enjoy it and didn't complain? How many people on here have agreed with you Vs disagreed?

There are plenty of ways that fans could complain in private.

More complained about the result if that helps.

I dont expect many to agree on here to be honest. It was the same with my original Mel Morris post. I guess its easy to reply when majority on here are anon and I am not (not to all mind)

1 hour ago, tinman said:

And that’s the crux of the matter. Its the new position that’s the problem, not the drum itself. 
believe it or not but people might not want to have the drum right next to them. 

Yeah wouldn't disagree. But the South Stand needs improving and this was one thing that was left to try and do that.

It was not setup for it to be a morgue otherwise we may have just kept the SE Corner that died on its arse.

3 hours ago, angieram said:

It makes me laugh when people say they want to be in and around the atmosphere but don't want to contribute. FFS, if everyone felt like that there'd be no bloody atmosphere! 

This is the problem Angie... In anything that is tried or tested it will always be a case of someone taking issue with it...

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Perhaps a small group of you South standers could agree to move seats and form a little cluster around the drummer?

In all honestly Mr RoyMac this would be the desired plan. However, it would mean displacing fans currently and the club are not keen as we speak. This was mentioned to them months ago.

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

Yes and that's your opinion. People shouldn't be forced to do something just because you personally think that's how things should be done. 

If there are no available seats then don't use the drum. Your solution of moving people out of the south stand if they don't like the drum also won't work in that case will it then if there are no available seats.

I'm not sure you understood what I said. If you can hear the drum from the other side of the ground, which you can, its going to damage the hearing of anybody sat next to it. That is the point. Nobody is going to want to have to experience that game after game unless they are smashed off their head and don't know any better 

And guess what ..... If there were no chiefs and just Indians nothing would change or improve....

We all know there are no available seats for a mass group to make a difference, the South is the first stand that sells out - good revenue spinner for the club. That being said Arsenal and United both moved fans to accommodate a fans group wanting to improve the atmosphere.

And yes that is your opinion........ As valid as mine by the sounds of it. You dont need to be smashed off your head to experience it. I have drove to many games and been fine with it. And if you are hearing it in the comfort of the North Stand, just perhaps the fans are not loud enough to drown it out which should be the case as it used to be.

6 minutes ago, Bontddu Ram said:

Look forward to it mate, last time I went was 1984 and we spent more time on the pitch than the players 😂

Remember it well! Good set of fans. They have a drum in their stands as well. Wonder if there fans complain.... Or maybe they sit in the other 3 stands. Always looks sold out to me..

5 minutes ago, therams69 said:

In all honestly Mr RoyMac this would be the desired plan. However, it would mean displacing fans currently and the club are not keen as we speak. This was mentioned to them months ago.

It would at least make clear who are keen and who are NIMBYs. It's a loud thing to stand next to all game, but like a church bell if it's there first...

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It would at least make clear who are keen and who are NIMBYs. It's a loud thing to stand next to all game, but like a church bell if it's there first...

You know what its actually not! The only ones that tend to be bothered are the fans that are not up for it. And I guess that is the problem here. We wouldn't be in this situation if everything was rosy. 

If everyone around it is joining it you dont notice it, if anything it makes you sing lounder whilst the drum keeps the tempo. I think many think we are talking a huge drum here that has some serious base.

Just trying to make a difference before many fans lose interest.

All it would have took is to let fans renewing their ST's the drum would be relocated into that block for the upcoming season and what area it would be in.

That way fans in the area have 2 choices, stay or move.

A little odd for the club to approve it, then withdraw after one game following a handful of complaints. 

Understand some fans get attached to their seat and become problematic trying to move, yet noise was the intention.

Yes, a drum is a lot louder than singing and I wouldn't want it booming in my aging earhole, come on though, just relocate for the good of the cause.....even if the communication when purchasing could have been better.

7 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

Bring back the drum! Shame one misery guts has ruined it for everyone else

Unfortunately its more than one ..

However, since all this has come out, aside from this forum, received many compliments from Block D who loved having him in there.