Drum in South Upper Block D

therams69

Hi guys

Hope all is well ... Just wanted to pop this on here to make everyone aware.

Sure some of you have seen Adam Sanders status about the drum not being allowed into the South Stand (up in Block D next to the away fans) for the foreseeable future following the first home game against Wigan.

Unfortunately the club have received quite a few complaints from fans in this area who were unhappy at the noise levels. To the extreme where 1 fan felt the need to nip to the Wyvern after the game to visit Boots to get some pills.

Now I get the drum is not everyone's cup of tea and of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, alot of blood, sweat and hard graft went in to getting the South Stand back for home fans versus leaving it empty or giving silly allocations to away fans.

This was a project that took many years to get and the last thing I want to see is it fall on its arse because certain fans find it too noisy. The drum is used to keep the tempo going and to get more involved. Its not there to start the atmosphere, a simple thing to add to the atmosphere, simple as that.

When we first had the South Stand the drum was located in the TV Gantry and worked well over the years with zero complaints. Adam had to move because the platform would often bounce and Sky Sports took issue with this. LOL! That's why Adam had to move down to the front and we all know it just hasn't worked.

We finally managed to agree with the club (very much on board) for the drum to be positioned in Block D which is nearest to the away fans and fair to say the most vocal block in the South Stand.

Obviously as mentioned this was met with a fair few complaints from our own fans who complained about the noise levels of the drum which has forced the club (who i again stress back it) to remove Adam from this area.

My take has always been this. If you are in the South Stand you should be there for and to create the atmosphere. If you are not, then this isn't the stand for you. We have 3 other stands where you can also sit and stand should you wish and not be in the presence of like minded fans who want to be part of something on a matchday which involves 'noise'.

What fascinates me most is that we had some of our best away days with the drum at Peterborough, Oldham etc and not 1 complaint over all the other games we took it to away from home. I guess we do live in a cancel culture kind of world these days.....

Adam will be continuing in the South Stand concourse pre game for the Saturday games for like minded fans to get together with the hope of continuing it up in the stands 15 minutes prior to kick off. This worked well at home to Wigan.

If you would like to email the club and back one of your own in Adam then please drop Emma (Supporter Liaison Office) at slo@dcfc.co.uk

This may not be popular but I think the drum needs to go. I don't think it adds anything and more often than not the rhythm is completely off

Especially if the South Stand doesn't want it. The people in the South Stand may well want atmosphere but they draw the line at having a drum down their earholes for 90+ minutes.

Look at it the reverse way Nick, if South Standers generally don't want it, that's democracy. There's more to the stand than a bloke with a drum. Find another way to bolster the atmosphere

34 minutes ago, therams69 said:

. I guess we do live in a cancel culture kind of world these days....

This bit totally passed me by, what the hell are you talking about??

It's a drum ffs, get over yourselves.

You do realise if you and none of your pals attended the game, there would still be an atmosphere don't you? It doesn't start and end with you

1 minute ago, Tombo said:

This bit totally passed me by, what the hell are you talking about??

It's a drum ffs, get over yourselves.

You do realise if you and none of your pals attended the game, there would still be an atmosphere don't you? It doesn't start and end with you

I dont even sit with the guys mentioned Tombo.

What i meant by the cancel culture. Zero complaints in 3 years where the drum originally was to many complaints after 1 game. Everyone feels the need to complain and whinge about everything these days. You could argue I am doing the same mind but thats a reaction.

I dont think for one minute I was saying it was. Please dont try and put me or 'my pals' on that pedestal. Trying to improve the atmosphere for everyone. Kind of the atmosphere that gets that little bit more out of the players to help us win games. It helps. Ask the players.

7 minutes ago, Tombo said:

This may not be popular but I think the drum needs to go. I don't think it adds anything and more often than not the rhythm is completely off

Especially if the South Stand doesn't want it. The people in the South Stand may well want atmosphere but they draw the line at having a drum down their earholes for 90+ minutes.

Look at it the reverse way Nick, if South Standers generally don't want it, that's democracy. There's more to the stand than a bloke with a drum. Find another way to bolster the atmosphere

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the South Stand was introduced alongside the drum. Was part of it.

Issue i have ... Wigan game .. Not one moan on the socials of it in the stands yet actual complaints into the club via calling them and emails. 

Rhythm has been completing wrong last few years as down below and I am sure we can both agree that its absolutely pointless down there. 

Its simply there to keep tempo going.

11 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I've got a trumpet i could blast out for 90 mins.

2 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I wouldn't want to sit with someone banging a drum right next to me for 90+ minutes either. You can't just tell people don't sit in the south stand unless you want to go deaf.

So you have the option of moving to 3 other stands. Fair compromise?

It's hardly people going deaf.

I would question why anyone would be in the South Stand that would be too focused on someone banging a drum, they should be joining in singing to not even be bothered by that.

2 minutes ago, therams69 said:

….. Trying to improve the atmosphere for everyone. Kind of the atmosphere that gets that little bit more out of the players to help us win games. It helps. Ask the players.

I think a few songs about our players might help. For instance do you think the players find the Collymore song funny or motivating? Probably as bored of it as the majority of fans are.

I am getting tinnitus listening to that drum in my armchair.

Less drums, less unfunny sweary songs, and more player supporting ditties would be my email to the SLO. If I could be bothered.

7 minutes ago, therams69 said:

I dont think for one minute I was saying it was. Please dont try and put me or 'my pals' on that pedestal. Trying to improve the atmosphere for everyone. Kind of the atmosphere that gets that little bit more out of the players to help us win games. It helps. Ask the players.

Maybe the lack of one tuneless a-rhythmic drum being walloped, not played, might lead to a better atmosphere? Lol, as if the players are going to say they hate it? 

2 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

I've got a trumpet i could blast out for 90 mins.

Do what England at Wembley do and have a whole band playing The Great Escape for 90 minutes!

It takes away from a genuine atmosphere. Drowns out other people and just sounds ridiculous. The drum is the same. Just irritating and makes us a laughing stock

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Maybe the lack of one tuneless a-rhythmic drum being walloped, not played, might lead to a better atmosphere? Lol, as if the players are going to say they hate it? 

It was only a year or so ago they kindly (off their own back) paid for a new drum.

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

Couldn't the people who don't like it be relocated a block or two over? 

And how many complaints are enough? 5? 10? 20? In a block of 200.

Do the other 195/190/180 want it there? If so, should be a majority vote. 

You would think so Angie. I think they had quite a few so going on of upwards of 5 or more..

Like i said earlier, zero complaints on social media that night.....