Drum in South Upper Block D

therams69

3 minutes ago, therams69 said:

It was only a year or so ago they kindly (off their own back) paid for a new drum.

They're far enough away?

2 minutes ago, therams69 said:

You would think so Angie. I think they had quite a few so going on of upwards of 5 or more..

Like i said earlier, zero complaints on social media that night.....

Then you should have no problem convincing fans to stand next to it?

If we're banning people for creating a bad atmosphere, how has Warne been allowed to take training today?

In all seriousness, can they turn the music down a bit too? And I know it's not really relevant these days, but when the new manager comes in can we ban the goal music?

Edited by oodledoodle

33 minutes ago, therams69 said:

So you have the option of moving to 3 other stands. Fair compromise?

It's hardly people going deaf.

I would question why anyone would be in the South Stand that would be too focused on someone banging a drum, they should be joining in singing to not even be bothered by that.

Nope. If you don't like someone banging a drum in your ear you shouldn't be forced to move out of a seat you may have had for years just because someone wants to tunelessly smash a drum all game. Find him somewhere he can sit that doesn't present a detriment to other fans enjoyment of the game and you can bang the drum as much as you like. Either that or buy all the seats around the drummer - problem solved.

As for your third paragraph don't be silly. Anyone sat next to that who doesn't already have significantly damaged hearing is going to be bothered by it. If you can clearly hear the drum from the other side of the stadium - which I assure you we can - then there is no chance its not damaging peoples hearing if they are sat right next to it. If you and your mates don't mind a bit of deafness by all means sit next to the drummer boy, but don't be surprised if other people don't share your lackadaisical views.

40 minutes ago, therams69 said:

So you have the option of moving to 3 other stands. Fair compromise?

It's hardly people going deaf.

I would question why anyone would be in the South Stand that would be too focused on someone banging a drum, they should be joining in singing to not even be bothered by that.

An old sod here who's been in the Popside...both Vulcan and Columbo, Ossie End and C stand, We didn't need a drum back in the day.

Today we have a different attitude, Those who go into the South Stand do so as it's where the atmosphere is or was...also the main reason...imo is they STAND, I wasn't aware it was compulsory to sing. 

Remember this...you can please some of the people some of the time, But you can't please all the people all of the time. 

7 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Nope. If you don't like someone banging a drum in your ear you shouldn't be forced to move out of a seat you may have had for years just because someone wants to tunelessly smash a drum all game. Find him somewhere he can sit that doesn't present a detriment to other fans enjoyment of the game and you can bang the drum as much as you like. Either that or buy all the seats around the drummer - problem solved.

As for your third paragraph don't be silly. Anyone sat next to that who doesn't already have significantly damaged hearing is going to be bothered by it. If you can clearly hear the drum from the other side of the stadium - which I assure you we can - then there is no chance its not damaging peoples hearing if they are sat right next to it. If you and your mates don't mind a bit of deafness by all means sit next to the drummer boy, but don't be surprised if other people don't share your lackadaisical views.

Its really not a case of someone just tunelessly smashing a drum all game though is it... Its joining in with said song at the time and again I question if you are not joining in with the song what's the point of being there.

It has been mentioned about making a special block available in Block D for example but this would mean turning fans out of there seats who want to be there - hardly a win win. There are no available seats, this is the issue.

It's not about the other end of the ground hearing it.

3 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

An old sod here who's been in the Popside...both Vulcan and Columbo, Ossie End and C stand, We didn't need a drum back in the day.

Today we have a different attitude, Those who go into the South Stand do so as it's where the atmosphere is or was...also the main reason...imo is they STAND, I wasn't aware it was compulsory to sing. 

Remember this...you can please some of the people some of the time, But you can't please all the people all of the time. 

Very valid fair point at the end there. Just seems everything anyone tries to do is shot down because a minority few dont agree with it hence why I keep banging on about 3 other stands. I could understand if this all of a sudden popped up in the East or West Stand for example.

Atmospheres at football are dying in England except for a few clubs that are doing something about it. Even Arsenal. I mean come on.....

53 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Less drums, less unfunny sweary songs, and more player supporting ditties would be my email to the SLO. If I could be bothered.

I have no particular objection to the drum, but…THIS!

When I started going it was simple songs about the team you could sing loudly, and songs about our own players…even the s*** ones. Not sure where that got lost.

Was there any less atmosphere last night without the drum than there was for the Wigan game with it?

My personal opinion, despite the fact the game last night was far worse than the opening game of the season, is no but I may be in the minority. If the consensus is “no” then it adds no value and won’t be missed. I appreciate all the hard work put into creating an atmosphere (in the South Stand in particular) and the fact that the club may have contributed toward the purchase of the drum but that doesn’t mean it should be kept on regardless.

I sit in the East Stand and so can’t really hear it that much but I’d hate to have to tolerate the constant thud if I was sitting nearer. On that basis, perhaps @angieram’s idea of a poll of South Standers nearby some be taken. 🤷🏻

3 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

When I started going it was simple songs about the team you could sing loudly, and songs about our own players…even the s*** ones. Not sure where that got lost.

AGREE! Then players cocks came along....

Saddens me to say but I find the younger generation dont like the original club songs like We are Derby etc .. Kind of feels that they need to sing all this European lark all the time.. Don't get me wrong there is a place for some of them songs but sure we can all agree old school songs about your club are the best.

5 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

I agree, but can we drop the talk about NMLs wang? I cringe every time I hear it

Just now, Tamworthram said:

Was there any less atmosphere last night without the drum than there was for the Wigan game with it?

My personal opinion, despite the fact the game last night was far worse than the opening game of the season, is no but I may be in the minority. If the consensus is “no” then it adds no value and won’t be missed. I appreciate all the hard work put into creating an atmosphere (in the South Stand in particular) and the fact that the club may have contributed toward the purchase of the drum but that doesn’t mean it should be kept on regardless.

I sit in the East Stand and so can’t really hear it that much but I’d hate to have to tolerate the constant thud if I was sitting nearer. On that basis, perhaps @angieram’s idea of a poll of South Standers nearby some be taken. 🤷🏻

A one game trial was not enough to decide either way.

It wasn't the club, it was Tom Lawrence and the squad at the time.

Hence the reason it would never be with you in the East Stand because that's not the place to be for atmosphere. Somewhere else is though.....

Think on this for a moment too. If the drum is in D block, the rowdiest block, and is getting complaints there, maybe it isn't doing much for the people who do want to sing and create an atmosphere.

If D Block don't want it, it probably doesn't have a home anywhere. Those are the people least likely to moan about the drum, and yet they have done

2 minutes ago, therams69 said:

A one game trial was not enough to decide either way.

It wasn't the club, it was Tom Lawrence and the squad at the time.

Hence the reason it would never be with you in the East Stand because that's not the place to be for atmosphere. Somewhere else is though.....

OK, so let’s try it for a few games and see if anyone notices the difference. Also, regarding your final paragraph, I did say a poll of the South Standers not the whole ground. 

10 minutes ago, therams69 said:

Very valid fair point at the end there. Just seems everything anyone tries to do is shot down because a minority few dont agree with it hence why I keep banging on about 3 other stands. I could understand if this all of a sudden popped up in the East or West Stand for example.

Atmospheres at football are dying in England except for a few clubs that are doing something about it. Even Arsenal. I mean come on.....

This

The football noise this weekend from the EPL was very very limited, You have to ask yourself WHY!, I've a friend who's a Spurs fan and a season ticket holder...lives in Ambergate, ST costs £6k he was a bit of a lad back in the day, Now he sits in the middle tier has a meal and a pint and watches the game in comfort...crazy aint it, When he can't make the game he sells the ticket for...wait for it £300...mental.

Times are changing and have been for a good few years, Songs have had their guts ripped out and changed for the TV customer as those don't like to hear those "nasty words" 😉, It's a tough call fella but if people are paying good money then it's money that calls the shots...as is always.