Is Warne living on borrowed time?

3 hours ago, vonwright said:

Always think Bristol City should be bigger than they are. Big, beautiful and wealthy city; no real competitors in the south west so a big catchment area. Suffers from the fact it's not the most 'football' city in the world but still - I could see the attraction as a project for either a rich would-be owner or a player for that matter.

The biggest team in Bristol is Man Utd - same goes for a lot of towns/cities in the country. I've grown up in and around Nottingham and know more United fans than I do Forest. I wouldn't be surprised if you took a poll on who people supported within the Nottingham area that Man Utd wouldn't come top - it would definitely be close. 

20 minutes ago, Kernow said:

For what? Hopefully people realised we’ve played one league game and moping about sulking about things will solve absolutely nothing.

Apologise for the comments he made about players heads being turned.  Even if he believes it, going public isn't going to help anyone, aside from deflect criticism from himself of course.

Edited by Blondest Goat

On 08/08/2023 at 22:19, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I'd say so, what are other peoples thoughts?

Positive thoughts welcome.

I think sadly David Clowes made a mistake with Paul Warne, sadly I think Derby County is too bigger club for  him, wether we have money or not the club has always attracted decent  players with the right manager . I don't think Paul Warne has the ability to attract the right players and it looks like bigger clubs don't trust him to care for their loan players in the right way. I thought Osula was a prime example, he was raw but had something different that could make a difference but he hardly ever played him.

His tactics baffle me, most games are won in centre midfield, all preseason we looked like we had a big hole in the middle of the pitch, and I still don't think he has noticed how bad it is, also Hourahaine as Captain ' give over ' over rated has been, who can't control a game, is tasked with leading team 

1 hour ago, Big Trav said:

Been told mood this morning was a lot better than yesterday. Apparently there was a full meeting yesterday with staff and players where they had a productive conversation.  

Yeah, liked they've never talked before. Were there pictures too? 😄

2 hours ago, Pottig said:

You've just told me there are people saying that. My original point was that people suggesting that he should be removed now or that he's living on borrowed time is ridiculous. Case in point: this thread and the posts I already showed you. 

I'd you need any more help moving goalposts, I've got a van.

Edited by sage

Having thought about it for a few days I think of course it's too early to tell about Warne and this season but the pressure is clearly already mounting. I've been a little concerned about Warne not thinking this job is different to Rotherham in interviews he's given. The job is clearly different, and the level of expectation with the amount of fans is significantly different. I'm not quite sure he has wised up to this! 

Personally, I don't like his brand of football and think it's too one-dimensional. It's quite easy to defend against and we don't really have the players to execute it properly. He seems stubborn and unwilling to change which is a problem for any manager.  I'm also not impressed by the forward signings and re-signing Waghorn off the back of a testimonial kind of stinks as either terrible preparation and/or execution. 

I think if after 10-15 games we're not in the top 6 DC needs to have real words with Warne about his performance. We've been on a downward trend for a while now and it's currently showing no sign of abating, if anything we are getting worse, not better. A big concern though must be how costly it'd be to get rid of Warne and the coaching team... are we even in a position where we can afford to buy him out? 

14 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I think if after 10-15 games we're not in the top 6 DC needs to have real words with Warne about his performance. We've been on a downward trend for a while now and it's currently showing no sign of abating, if anything we are getting worse, not better. A big concern though must be how costly it'd be to get rid of Warne and the coaching team... are we even in a position where we can afford to buy him out? 

I bet there's a mathematical formula that you can enter x, y and z into and it works out the optimum sacking date! 😄

2 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Why is Mendez-Laing now deemed an option as striker? he's not a striker and never has been.

I remember him playing there Plymouth away last season where he scored.

Also, in Warne's 5-3-2 there is nowhere else to get him in the team apart from maybe at RWB. We have Ward there now though and NML isn't really goood enough defensivly to play that 

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I bet there's a mathematical formula that you can enter x, y and z into and it works out the optimum sacking date! 😄

The mathematical formula kicks in when attendances dip below 26,000, especially when the watered down beer isn’t selling at £6 a pint.

4 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Having thought about it for a few days I think of course it's too early to tell about Warne and this season but the pressure is clearly already mounting. I've been a little concerned about Warne not thinking this job is different to Rotherham in interviews he's given. The job is clearly different, and the level of expectation with the amount of fans is significantly different. I'm not quite sure he has wised up to this! 

Personally, I don't like his brand of football and think it's too one-dimensional. It's quite easy to defend against and we don't really have the players to execute it properly. He seems stubborn and unwilling to change which is a problem for any manager.  I'm also not impressed by the forward signings and re-signing Waghorn off the back of a testimonial kind of stinks as either terrible preparation and/or execution. 

After 10 - 15 games I don't have very high expectations, but I would at least like to know by that stage what the plan is (warne-ball?). The consensus being that last season we didn't have the squad to play the preferred 'style' of the current manager.  I would admit that I didn't see much or Rotherham (lifes too short), but however they managed their success, it's not a given, that the style of play from one club can simply be super imposed over to another. The DNA and culture Rotherham Utd FC and DCFC differing significantly. 

Edited by europia

On 08/08/2023 at 22:37, inter politics said:

You don't air thoughts like that. Really poor leadership. Needs to think about his actions more.

Yes. Warne repeatedly shows that he doesn’t know what can and can’t be blurted in public. Last example was his description of his meeting with Bird about the offer from Hull. It pis$es players off. His comments about McGoldrick end of 2022 was another example. Will not lead to a happy dressing room and we really need this squad to come together 

2 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Why is Mendez-Laing now deemed an option as striker? he's not a striker and never has been.

when barkhuizen is back fit maybe nml will become an impact sub, wide right where he’s best.  His form dropped off second half of last season and hasn’t really recovered. 

9 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

While winning football matches is ultimately everything in football, I do find there is extra leeway given in defeats where you can see a clear plan and the football is generally positive and front-foot.

The biggest problem managers face is when they disregard pretty football and it’s all about results. Because when results don’t go your way, it makes it that much tougher to take as fan. It’s just crap.

If Mourinho isn’t winning his football is awful to watch. Gary Rowett’s tenure was the same. I can’t think of a single game under Rowett where we lost and there was a slightest positive to take. It was just terrible.

Warneball is similar. When we lose it’s generally an awful watch. He needs results quickly. Expectations were always high in the Championship, in League One we simply have to be competing at the top.