Michael Smith

DCFC1388

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

In fairness, I think he’s only on the bench because they knew they would be getting a battering and Paterson, Gregory duo offer more energy. It’s still significantly better than both of them, but tonight is not a game for him at all! 

Seems like Wednesday went up with a squad that isn’t too dissimilar to ours, and have failed to recruit to prepare properly for a better level, particularly going forward. 

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

Seems like Wednesday went up with a squad that isn’t too dissimilar to ours, and have failed to recruit to prepare properly for a better level, particularly going forward. 

Absolutely, as soon as I saw the team announced I was taken back just how bad it actually is - when you’re comparing players to other championship sides they don’t really have many who would get a game elsewhere. Bannan and Windass are genuine match winners in League One, but average at best players in the Championship. They need a lot more, but so would we - considerably more.

3 hours ago, littleover ram said:

People criticise Mel Morris but at least he got transfers done - just throw money at it and worry about the accounting when you’re in the premier league 

Of course it’s meant to be funny. Are posters on here so stupid as to think he was being serious?

Just now, Turk Thrust said:

Of course it’s meant to be funny. Are posters on here so stupid as to think he was being serious?

I thought not.

But he doesn't capitalise his name which troubled me and gave me cause to worry he could be relatively stupid...

3 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I thought not.

But he doesn't capitalise his name which troubled me and gave me cause to worry he could be relatively stupid...

his relatives may well be stupid. But of course one of the best US poets never used capital letters and spelled his name

e e cummings 

13 minutes ago, Topram said:

Could be a they sign another striker and he’s free to leave 

I think they'll let him go regardless really. The fact they didn't bring him on tonight speaks volumes. Even got the last 10 minutes or after they went 2-1 down.

Seem to have enough there. Gregory, Fletcher, Windass that new lad that came on. Even without a striker he's 5th choice.

5 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

And u know we were in for May because ??? 
Wasn’t it about 5 minutes ago we were all patting the club on the back for picking up the much in demand promotion winning captain to the prem sonny bradley 

so much sensationalist drama on here its untrue 😂🤷🙈

Sonny Bradley isn't going to score us goals.

5 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

So we ignore the fact that May publicly stated that he wanted to move back nearer to Kent with his family. Instead, criticise the Club for failing to compete for a player when I doubt there's not one forum poster who actually knows precisely what agreement Clowes came to with the EFL and what sort of spending restrictions have been imposed.

I've yet to see anything from the Club confirming we actually have an interest in Smith. Rumours, speculation and tittle tattle on a forum is great but let's not use that as a means of criticising Derby County without any real substance.

But you have just put credence to what I said.

That we chase players we know full well we can't compete for. If Alfie May publicly stated he wanted to move down south and we were still waiting for him to make his decision, we were wasting time on a duff target.

And we did show interest in Alfie May.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Soton had 80 % possession... Wednesday might be in for a ride this season but a little bit discouraging to see the difference in quality between the two sides. They took a fair few points in L1 but didn't get to loan the ball at all in the Championship...

15 minutes ago, InstaRam said:

Soton had 80 % possession... Wednesday might be in for a ride this season but a little bit discouraging to see the difference in quality between the two sides. They took a fair few points in L1 but didn't get to loan the ball at all in the Championship...

To be fair I expect Southampton to be top 2 this season. Think Wednesday have maybe picked a bad season to go up? 

All 3 relegated teams should be decent. You’ve got teams like Coventry, Milwall, PNE making decent signings and then the likes of WBA, Norwich and Stoke who ironically aren’t splashing the cash but have seasoned squads at this level. 

Next season could well have Luton and  Sheffield Utd back in the mix who for my money are worse than Leicester and Southampton. If Rotherham and Plymouth can stay up this season I’d back us to be above them if we go up and recruit accordingly. 

Anyway my thoughts may well be nonsense, after all it’s only the first match of the season.