Michael Smith

DCFC1388

59 minutes ago, Srg said:

Get another option with different attributes. Someone more athletic, with a better touch. Then you have choices to make depending on the game. Paying money on a loan for someone expecting to play like Smith, just seems odd unless you’re dropping Collins. 

Take your point mate, but perhaps we're looking to do both? I think that overall, Smith probably brings a little more to the table than Collo and while I'm delighted at the latter's form this season, we'd be in deep doodoo if he got injured.

Also, won't CBT give us a pace dimension upfront too, albeit from the flanks? It's still the midfield that has me slightly concerned tbh.

Seems a decent player for this level, hopefully his link up play is decent. 

Would have preferred a Lapado style striker with a bit of pace, strength and presence, but if we can’t get that then maybe this is the next best option for a 6 month loan. 

After that it’s a mobile central midfielder and we’re good.

34 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Take your point mate, but perhaps we're looking to do both? I think that overall, Smith probably brings a little more to the table than Collo and while I'm delighted at the latter's form this season, we'd be in deep doodoo if he got injured.

Also, won't CBT give us a pace dimension upfront too, albeit from the flanks? It's still the midfield that has me slightly concerned tbh.

I think if he can get involved a bit more from open play than Collins then he could be an improvement. With you on the midfield concern, but I don’t think we are solving that unless Hourihane is dropped which isn’t going to happen so we are just going to have to suffer through it. 

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

We just played 90 minutes football today - I can’t remember us once having a player make a run in behind and us trying to play that pass to that player (successful or not). It makes it easier for opposition defences if they know a striker isn’t running in behind us.

The position of the Lincoln CBs on the position map might give a clue as to why that was. In fact, look at the average positions of their entire team.

Screenshot_20240120-235924-01.thumb.jpeg.e9d8b50ce2622b065501de9b5155714a.jpeg

11 hours ago, Srg said:

Get another option with different attributes. Someone more athletic, with a better touch. Then you have choices to make depending on the game. Paying money on a loan for someone expecting to play like Smith, just seems odd unless you’re dropping Collins. 

Isn't TJJ the option, more athletic, better touch? Just not 100% fit yet, and when Waghorn and Washington are fit, aren't they different?

11 hours ago, rammieib said:

Except they are the same kind of goals that Collins is already scoring.

And if Collins got injured we would need a replacement, or rotate to keep them both fresh, although I believe Smith is more of a brute and better in the air to be able to Bully the defenders anyway.

We have put our faith in getting it wide and whipping in crosses which makes Smith a sensible option, but I’m not sure how we utilise TJJ’s strengths. He looks to me like a player who likes the ball played on the ground in intricate moves (as per Arsenal).

He’s not going to get that with our 1.5 man midfield. That’s why we need Arblaster, a busy youngster with a neat pass.

That might be the final piece we need.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

We have put our faith in getting it wide and whipping in crosses which makes Smith a sensible option, but I’m not sure how we utilise TJJ’s strengths. He looks to me like a player who likes the ball played on the ground in intricate moves (as per Arsenal).

He’s not going to get that with our 1.5 man midfield. That’s why we need Arblaster, a busy youngster with a neat pass.

That might be the final piece we need.

Yep, possible, as well as CBT and Smith in on loan, Beryl said we would get Arblaster in on loan last day of the window. Watch this space #greatknowingsomeoneITK

16 hours ago, Charlie George said:

Was at Lincoln today. End of game two of the management team were heard saying Smithy will be with us week.

Assume that's not Corey but Michael.

I don't see that signing my old Latin teacher "Smithy" will do us much good he must be 120 years old now 🤣

To be fair he did frighten the life out of me when I was 10 years old however, he was good at conjugating Latin verbs perhaps PW has a new tactic to confuse the opposition.

12 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

I don't see that signing my old Latin teacher "Smithy" will do us much good he must be 120 years old now 🤣

To be fair he did frighten the life out of me when I was 10 years old however, he was good at conjugating Latin verbs perhaps PW has a new tactic to confuse the opposition.

In spe vivimus!

13 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

I did understand your Latin it looked good to me, my reply to your “we live in hope” was, or should have been, “ We do” (facimus) 😂

It's amazing what we remember from 60 years ago but what we forget from 60 days ago!!😅