v Wigan (H) Match Thread

Day

just bloody annoying isnt it 

played well enough to win that and certainly not lose it.

Thats football isnt it, its not the first time we’ve ballsed it up and wont be the last.

Warne isnt accountable for stupid individual errors like that.

weve just got to put our big boy pants and sup it up.…… again (sigh)  

I’ll say one thing, if we play like that every game this season. We go down. Midfield way too slow and lethargic, Hourihane was walking 70 mins, should’ve been hauled off. Little to no creativity. Felt like we were scared to make a forward pass at times. Ver very concerning first game. Hopefully Warne walks into clowes office tomorrow and tells him to get his players in

We would've won that game 7 or 8 times out of 10, it's just frustrating that we've started the season by giving the opposition an undeserved victory.

On a positive note, I'd rather show the flaws in the squad whilst we have an opportunity to rectify it. We could've won 3-0 without playing any better, just being a bit luckier, and all of a sudden things are completely fine. It's very obvious this squad needs more quality and depth, and Warne is clearly trying to add to that. Hopefully we can finish the transfer window with a few new faces, and in or around the top 6, then push on from there with hopefully a stronger side.

1 minute ago, Big Trav said:

I’ll say one thing, if we play like that every game this season. We go down. Midfield way too slow and lethargic, Hourihane was walking 70 mins, should’ve been hauled off. Little to no creativity. Felt like we were scared to make a forward pass at times. Ver very concerning first game. Hopefully Warne walks into clowes office tomorrow and tells him to get his players in

Reading this and others Its truly amazing how peoples perspective of the game can be so different 

but i suppose thats the beautiful game

2 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

Slow defence  and very error prone 

slow midfield 

over reliance of ward’s cross 

Collins not good enough.

I know it’s the first game but I didn’t enjoy that style of football at all! I’ll wait to analyse Warne but I think top 10 

Glad that you have at least given it a game to come to that conclusion Simmo, any ‘news’ from your ‘mate’ in the media department 😊

2 minutes ago, Justa said:

Trying not to be too downhearted but after our ‘recruitment campaign’ this was pretty much what I expected.

I completely understand people who point out it's not easy to sign players, sometimes targets go elsewhere, blah blah. But the clear fact is we massively prioritised the defence and wing back positions in our recruitment this summer and we've neglected the midfield and attack. If we've now run out of money and targets then that is on the management and ownership. Our midfield and attack have needed attention for a long time

28 minutes ago, DanS1992 said:

Same old, same old. Managers come and go. Players are bought and sold. Yet, our ability to gift the opposition goals remains. Just a constant loop. This seems to be the "Derby way".

29 minutes ago, DanS1992 said:

Same old, same old. Managers come and go. Players are bought and sold. Yet, our ability to gift the opposition goals remains. Just a constant loop. This seems to be the "Derby way".

I said before a ball kicked Midfield is lightweight games are won and lost in centre midfield 

that's the problem no centre midfield signings 

Such a chalk and cheese performance.

The bad? Wildsmith, Bradley, Cashin, Smith, Hourihane, Bird and Collins. The good? Nelson, Ward, Wilson. 

Can bemoan Warne all we want but there was a lot of basic passing and control errors. So static at times, particularly first half. Not sure why he subbed Ward off though as he was the only route to a goal.

Desperately need pace going forward  

1 minute ago, simmoram1995 said:

Slow defence  and very error prone 

slow midfield 

over reliance of ward’s cross 

Collins not good enough.

I know it’s the first game but I didn’t enjoy that style of football at all! I’ll wait to analyse Warne but I think top 10 

I'm not sure what you were expecting from Collins. Other than a weak shot when he didn't realise how much time he had, I don't remember him making a mess of any genuine opportunities, worked hard as always, linked up the play well, protected the ball pretty well too. The improved quality of crossing (Ward) should lead to more chances for him and hopefully more goals. 

Personally I'm not bothered if we use plenty of Ward's crossing if he continues to cross as well as he has been doing, and if teams continue to let him do it!

Other than that, I agree: lost the game on two poor mistakes, and the midfield didn't quite click today.