Martyn Waghorn - signed a 1-year deal

trekkie_ram

Been mentioned before probably but we don’t need a 20+ scorer to get us promoted, we had one last year and didn’t even make the play offs… Plymouth just had 4/5 that chipped in with 12-15 goals if we had that from Collins NML Washington Waggy then we’d be just fine, if Warne thinks he’s done enough to earn a contract then I’m all for it

38 minutes ago, alram said:

lets be honest it's a ridiclous signing. people can try and paint it whatever way they want, he is not a player we need nor is he a player we really want. 

hes too old, we are not going to get out of this division by assembling dads army and turning derby into an old boys club, the sooner clowes and warne clock on that you get out of this league with young energetic players the beter

We haven’t assembled Dad’s Army, will you please stop volunteering these unfounded generalisations about the squad?

I’ll once again provide you with some facts, we have so far signed Elder who is 28, Vickers who is 27, Ward who is 27, Wilson who is 23, Nelson who is 30, Bradley who is 31 and Washington who is also 31.

The first team squad includes Bird (22), Cashin (21), Rooney (19), Sibley & Thompson (21), Wildsmith (27) Barkhuizen (30), NML (31), Hourihane Smith & Collins (32).

The oldest outfield player we have is Forsyth at 34 and Loach is the oldest overall player on the books at 35.

Last season we had Curtis Davies (38), James Chester (34), Richard Stearman and David McGoldrick (35). The age profile of the squad this year is improved from last year.

Now specifically on the subject of Waghorn. At 33 is he an ideal signing? No he’s not. Another question, do we want to go into the season with only 2 senior strikers? No we don’t. So would it be logical to sign Waghorn on sensible terms if they can be agreed, to bolster the depth of the squad in the immediate, whilst potentially still looking to secure a younger striker to complete our 4 striking options for the season? Yes it would.

What are the other options? There are a fair few free agents, I’ve been looking through a list this morning. The youngest and most exciting would be Josh Maja at 24, I suspect he’s above our current means and ambitions. Assombalonga and Afobe at 30, could be good options but not sure if they pass your age test? Bas Dost, Islam Slimani, Mattia Destro? All former internationals, would be cheat codes at this level, also all 32-35 and unrealistic. Jonathon Kodija? Was a beast for a couple of seasons at Bristol City and Villa, but he’s also 33. Sean Maguire is 29, left Coventry in the summer, might not be a bad shout.  Macauley Bonne is 27 and scored at this level before so he could be another option. There really aren’t that many viable free agent options. We seemingly have to be sensible with the fees we spend. And any loans could be unproven. That’s the situation we’re in, maybe sign Waghorn to boost the depth and add an option, maybe don’t and look elsewhere 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

19 minutes ago, alram said:

but you shouldnt be basing a player based on 5 minutes of action, thats a recipe for disaster

But as fans we only get to base our opinions on 90 minutes of action once or twice a week. If a manager decides after seeing him on a daily basis that he could be useful for the coming season then surely that supersedes anything else? 

Is he the ideal singing? No obviously not. Could he be a useful addition for the coming season? Most likely yes. If we roll the clock back 12 months or so we would see very similar threads for the signings of Wildsmith and Mcgoldrick. Nobody anticipated DM to post his career best numbers last season, he actually missed some glaring chances as well so could have been even more. You’ve got to factor in the drop in quality in the leagues when signing players, Waggy could end up posting similar numbers, we don’t know.

4 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

But as fans we only get to base our opinions on 90 minutes of action once or twice a week. If a manager decides after seeing him on a daily basis that he could be useful for the coming season then surely that supersedes anything else? 

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

12 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

We haven’t assembled Dad’s Army, will you please stop volunteering these unfounded generalisations about the squad?

I’ll once again provide you with some facts, we have so far signed Elder who is 28, Vickers who is 27, Ward who is 27, Wilson who is 23, Nelson who is 30, Bradley who is 31 and Washington who is also 31.

The first team squad includes Bird (22), Cashin (21), Rooney (19), Sibley & Thompson (21), Wildsmith (27) Barkhuizen (30), NML (31), Hourihane Smith & Collins (32).

The oldest outfield player we have is Forsyth at 34 and Loach is the oldest overall player on the books at 35.

Last season we had Curtis Davies (38), James Chester (34), Richard Stearman and David McGoldrick (35). The age profile of the squad this year is improved from last year.

Now specifically on the subject of Waghorn. At 33 is he an ideal signing? No he’s not. Another question, do we want to go into the season with only 2 senior strikers? No we don’t. So would it be logical to sign Waghorn on sensible terms if they can be agreed, to bolster the depth of the squad in the immediate, whilst potentially still looking to secure a younger striker to complete our 4 striking options for the season? Yes it would.

What are the other options? There are a fair few free agents, I’ve been looking through a list this morning. The youngest and most exciting would be Josh Maja at 24, I suspect he’s above our current means and ambitions. Assombalonga and Afobe at 30, could be good options but not sure if they pass your age test? Bas Dost, Islam Slimani, Mattia Destro? All former internationals, would be cheat codes at this level, also all 32-35 and unrealistic. Jonathon Kodija? Was a beast for a couple of seasons at Bristol City and Villa, but he’s also 33. Sean Maguire is 29, left Coventry in the summer, might not be a bad shout.  Macauley Bonne is 27 and scored at this level before so he could be another option. There really aren’t that many viable free agent options. We seemingly have to be sensible with the fees we spend. And any loans could be unproven. That’s the situation we’re in, maybe sign Waghorn to boost the depth and add an option, maybe don’t and look elsewhere 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

.....Well, I couldn't have put it more succinctly myself. Many on here seem to think there's a hidden stash of young goal scoring gems, available at zero cost who can't wait to join DCFC on L1 wages...we need to tinge our hopes and dreams for the coming season with a large dollop of realism...

1 hour ago, alram said:

but you shouldnt be basing a player based on 5 minutes of action, thats a recipe for disaster

Yes and I’m not the one signing him. I’d imagine Warne would base it on much more but what I’m saying is it was clear to see he was sharp and he is still talented. He’d be a real asset at our level. 

49 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I knew I’d have to bring this out again……

Frustrated Head GIF

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Yes and I’m not the one signing him. I’d imagine Warne would base it on much more but what I’m saying is it was clear to see he was sharp and he is still talented. He’d be a real asset at our level. 

i hope so, not sure he is the right profile though

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

we have the 2nd oldest squad in the divison behind wycombe. the generalisation is based on fact, it isnt unfounded.

i have no problem with 1 or 2, but we just signed washington whos 31, its like we learnt nothing from last season - an old squad just doesnt have it in them to play so many games at this level succesfully

Edited by alram

24 minutes ago, alram said:

we have the 2nd oldest squad in the divison behind wycombe. the generalisation is based on fact, it isnt unfounded.

i have no problem with 1 or 2, but we just signed washington whos 31, its like we learnt nothing from last season - an old squad just doesnt have it in them to play so many games at this level succesfully

The second oldest squad in the division still doesn’t equate to your “Dad’s Army” comment. It’s a generalisation that conveniently ignores the fact we have lowered the age profile of the squad this summer for you to repeatedly push your negative perspective. You’re entitled to an opinion, I respect that you and others may have concerns that we’ve not signed more players under 29 but IT IS NOT AN OLD SQUAD.
Only one or two of our current total playing staff could be considered close to retiring due to their age (Forsyth and Loach). Nelson and Bradley as cbs will arguably still have 4 or 5 years in their careers if they avoid injury. Wilson, Ward, Elder and Vickers are in their peak years, Barkhuizen and NML are only just past that ideal closing age bracket of 29. Our home grown youngsters are one year further on in their development and exposure to first team football. 
And your stance seems to neglect that we’ve added a couple of new players to the u21s (Radcliffe and Bartley) with a couple more likely to sign (Weston and Lindsay). 
Those facts provide far more detail than your selective fact of the average age of our squad compared to others in the league. 

EDIT - also, you highlight the signing of Washington in an attempt to prove your point but ignore the other signings we’ve made who are younger. You have to look at the whole picture. I’m not saying we couldn’t do with some youth up front, but that’s specific, not a generalised comment about the whole squad being old….which it isn’t.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

21 minutes ago, alram said:

Where are you seeing that stat? 

19 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

The second oldest squad in the division still doesn’t equate to your “Dad’s Army” comment. It’s a generalisation that conveniently ignores the fact we have lowered the age profile of the squad this summer for you to repeatedly push your negative perspective. You’re entitled to an opinion, I respect that you and others may have concerns that we’ve not signed more players under 29 but IT IS NOT AN OLD SQUAD.
Only one or two of our current total playing staff could be considered close to retiring due to their age (Forsyth and Loach). Nelson and Bradley as cbs will arguably still have 4 or 5 years in their careers if they avoid injury. Wilson, Ward, Elder and Vickers are in their peak years, Barkhuizen and NML are only just past that ideal closing age bracket of 29. Our home grown youngsters are one year further on in their development and exposure to first team football. 
And your stance seems to neglect that we’ve added a couple of new players to the u21s (Radcliffe and Bartley) with a couple more likely to sign (Weston and Lindsay). 
Those facts provide far more detail than your selective fact of the average age of our squad compared to others in the league. 

EDIT - also, you highlight the signing of Washington in an attempt to prove your point but ignore the other signings we’ve made who are younger. You have to look at the whole picture. I’m not saying we couldn’t do with some youth up front, but that’s specific, not a generalised comment about the whole squad being old….which it isn’t.

I’d hate to be on trial with Al Ram in the jury ignoring evidence and making a decision on  their opinion regardless . 

40 minutes ago, alram said:

i hope so, not sure he is the right profile though

What profile are we after? 

Younger proven strikers cost money we seemingly don’t have. 

Waghorn either had to play out of position or as a central lone striker for most of his time with us. I’d like to see what he can do in a front two. Think we’d be pleasantly surprised.