Chris Martin

mozza

Chris Martin   

290 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If we were going to be playing a 4-3-3 that needed someone to hold the ball up, keep it on the floor and bring others in to play then he'd be worth a punt. He was great at that.

What we need right now is someone that can press for 60-70 minutes and fit within a more direct, fast transition style. So he's not worth a punt on that basis in my opinion.

Can we afford to be one dimensional for the whole match, every match? What if the opposition work out a way to combat that style of play? Surely we need a Martin type player, preferably a bit younger, who could completely change the way we play, when required?

5 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Can we afford to be one dimensional for the whole match, every match? What if the opposition work out a way to combat that style of play? Surely we need a Martin type player, preferably a bit younger, who could completely change the way we play, when required?

When he played for Pearson I doubt it was 4-3-3. When he played in League 1 with Norwich was it in a two up front?

The meme that he's only able to play one way and can't press is a tedious one. I don't think he's in Warne's plans even so.

2 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

There is fault on both sides of the debate, but there is a certain incredulous feeling that those that like him were having to defend our best striker in the first place!

No i don’t think he will be coming, but he deserves more respect than he gets on here.

I would imagine those that are not in favour of him returning, fully respect what Martin did for this club whilst he was here although have since moved on.

The problem is, others haven't and until the day he retires his name will be wheeled out in every transfer window.

Paul Warne has already spoke on Martin, he's not a player he's interested in. Yet here we are 4 pages in again floating an idea of him returning.

You also know exactly what's coming the day Warne does leave.....Steve McClaren suggestions.

Yes.

i keep seeing this rubbish about Warne liking players who run and hassle the opponents. That’s all fine when we haven’t got the ball. I don’t really expect us to be chasing most games. For that reason, having a player like Martin who is a focal point and can hold the ball would be perfect for those who can get in and around him. 
I’m all for having some strikers who are willing to run the channels and do the dirty work. You also want a striker who can play the intelligent way. 

2 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Yes.

i keep seeing this rubbish about Warne liking players who run and hassle the opponents. That’s all fine when we haven’t got the ball. I don’t really expect us to be chasing most games. For that reason, having a player like Martin who is a focal point and can hold the ball would be perfect for those who can get in and around him. 
I’m all for having some strikers who are willing to run the channels and do the dirty work. You also want a striker who can play the intelligent way. 

You might not agree, it's not rubbish though as Warne has specifically spoken about Chris Martin not suiting his style.

"But there's no contact from me or the club, or anything like that. There is no intention, respectfully from me, to sign him. I play with a high press at the front of the pitch and I'd look a bit of an idiot if I signed a non-pressing centre forward in truth.

"I don't know if he ever did press, but he's a target man and a great finisher. But you pick players who suit your system, not the other way around."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/derby-county-transfers-chris-martin-8105356?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#google_vignette

1 minute ago, David said:

You might not agree, it's not rubbish though as Warne has specifically spoken about Chris Martin not suiting his style.

"But there's no contact from me or the club, or anything like that. There is no intention, respectfully from me, to sign him. I play with a high press at the front of the pitch and I'd look a bit of an idiot if I signed a non-pressing centre forward in truth.

"I don't know if he ever did press, but he's a target man and a great finisher. But you pick players who suit your system, not the other way around."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/derby-county-transfers-chris-martin-8105356?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#google_vignette

I get that and remember what he said. I just don’t personally agree with ruling out a lot of strikers purely because you have 1 way of playing or thinking. 
we’ve seen many managers be criticised for having ‘1 way of playing’. Having a player like Martin told hold the ball up and frustrate opponents is a quality skill when seeing games out. Asking players to press for 90 mins doesn’t usually end well, especially over a 50+ game season 

Just now, jimbobram said:

I get that and remember what he said. I just don’t personally agree with ruling out a lot of strikers purely because you have 1 way of playing or thinking. 
we’ve seen many managers be criticised for having ‘1 way of playing’. Having a player like Martin told hold the ball up and frustrate opponents is a quality skill when seeing games out. Asking players to press for 90 mins doesn’t usually end well, especially over a 50+ game season 

Understood.

McClaren being one that failed to adjust the system when Martin was injured.

End of the day, it's Warne's call, we're just here debating the what ifs.

What if Warne left and Martin was still a free agent, you never know I guess. 

4 minutes ago, David said:

Understood.

4 minutes ago, David said:

Understood.

Im hoping he doesn’t leave and he gets the job done. I’m sure he’s got some good strikers lined up. Fingers crossed for that anyway 

10 hours ago, Rev said:

Just opened this topic, and this starts playing on the radio.

It's a sign.

Well at least something good came out of this thread….. memories of Mike Shaft Piccadilly Radio 261 back in the day. Beautiful. 

I’m a huge Chris Martin fan. He’s the best number 9 we’ve had since Wanchope. Had Strupar played more games I’d have put him ahead of Martin but he’s in elite company. Class player. But I voted no and I’m genuinely shocked the split is only 40/60. The last time he scored double figures - at Derby under Cocu 3 years ago. 34, doesn’t fit the way the manager wants to play. Let’s bring back John Brayford while we’re at it. 

Martin was great, McClaren was great and that team should’ve got over the line but that’s the past. We look forward now under Warne and the high energy style he wants to play. Genuinely excited at what attacking players he’s looking to bring in as l think our business so far has been outstanding. Lots of people are saying good things about Kane Wilson, could he be a genuine Bogle replacement? Look forward to finding out. 

4 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I’m a huge Chris Martin fan. He’s the best number 9 we’ve had since Wanchope. Had Strupar played more games I’d have put him ahead of Martin but he’s in elite company. Class player. But I voted no and I’m genuinely shocked the split is only 40/60. The last time he scored double figures - at Derby under Cocu 3 years ago. 34, doesn’t fit the way the manager wants to play. Let’s bring back John Brayford while we’re at it. 

Martin was great, McClaren was great and that team should’ve got over the line but that’s the past. We look forward now under Warne and the high energy style he wants to play. Genuinely excited at what attacking players he’s looking to bring in as l think our business so far has been outstanding. Lots of people are saying good things about Kane Wilson, could he be a genuine Bogle replacement? Look forward to finding out. 

I'd have him as cover for a year.  Played well at Pride Park and well experienced at smashing people in this league.  

3 hours ago, ram59 said:

Well said. We can't be one dimensional playing the same way game week in gameweek out for 90 minutes. A target man who brings others in play would certainly give defenders something else to think about. 

Could you imagine a strike force of Collins and Martin?! There’d be more exasperated, airward arms and mardy moans than touches of the actual ball.

But on the subject of Martin; did I think he was great for us? Yes. Do I think he could still do a job in league one? Yes. Could he offer a hold up option off the bench? Yes. But realistically is he a fit for the new image of the squad. Nah. Unless he was like loachy; just apparently happy to be here in any capacity on low wedge, not worth it.

23 hours ago, Red_ram said:

Could you imagine a strike force of Collins and Martin?! There’d be more exasperated, airward arms and mardy moans than touches of the actual ball.

But on the subject of Martin; did I think he was great for us? Yes. Do I think he could still do a job in league one? Yes. Could he offer a hold up option off the bench? Yes. But realistically is he a fit for the new image of the squad. Nah. Unless he was like loachy; just apparently happy to be here in any capacity on low wedge, not worth it.

He has unfinished business here and deserves a chance to finnish what he started.

15 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

He has unfinished business here and deserves a chance to finnish what he started.

I dunno mate.  He was here a while and we even brought him back from Fulham for another go.  Then we offered him another go at the unfinished business and he decided he'd finished by soddin off to Bristol for 3 years.  

13 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I dunno mate.  He was here a while and we even brought him back from Fulham for another go.  Then we offered him another go at the unfinished business and he decided he'd finished by soddin off to Bristol for 3 years.  

Well actlley mate or was Pearson sent him to fulham did not want to leave he came back and tried not go back he had no choice and then cocu was pleased with martin and once again he was shipped off to wednesday.

And for me I think warn be able to help martin and also replace the goals macgoldick did replace him.