Chris Martin

mozza

Chris Martin   

290 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Neither was McGoldrick 🤷‍♂️ the bit of focus on Martin is the reality that currently we haven’t got anyone better - in the third division 

Warne inherited David McGoldrick, unless I'm mistaken. 

3 hours ago, jimbobram said:

As if you’ve gone to all that time and effort to try and make a point, purely because you read what I said completely wrong. 

Not at all. The reason I put up all those Transfermarkt Player Stats links was to show that the Players I mentioned not only performed at a higher level than Chris Martin, but also matched or bettered his Derby County record. Here's a Goals per minute breakdown of their respective Playing Time for Derby (I've chucked in a few others who came to mind) :-

Player                       Mins Played           Goals      Mins per Goal  
======                   ===========     =====     =============  
Darren Bent               4,340                   28             155            
Cameron Jerome          940                    6              157            
Patrick Bamford         1,261                     8              158            
Matej Vydra               4,789                   27              177            
Branko Strupar           2,878                  16              180            
Paul Peschisolido       4,757                  25             190            
Grzegorz Rasiak         3,919                  19              206            
Chris Martin              16,455                  76              216            
Paulo Wanchope         6,152                  25             246            
David Nugent              4,920                 17              284

4 minutes ago, mice_elf said:

Not at all. The reason I put up all those Transfermarkt Player Stats links was to show that the Players I mentioned not only performed at a higher level than Chris Martin, but also matched or bettered his Derby County record. Here's a Goals per minute breakdown of their respective Playing Time for Derby (I've chucked in a few others who came to mind) :-

The number of goals hardly matters? 😄 

Put number of assists in there as well. 

47 minutes ago, mice_elf said:

So you're arguing Martin wasn't a very good player for Derby, on the basis he only outscored the next best on your list by 49 goals?

Just now, Alpha said:

The best thing about Martin wasn't his goals. It was that he brought Hughes, Hendrick, Bryson, Ward and Russell into the game, into the attacking third and facing the right way. 

There's no stats that show that.

Those little reverse passes and triangles created made us a great watch.

It's not going to be the same if he tucks one round the corner for Max who's stood on the halfway line ...

Just now, Van der MoodHoover said:

Those little reverse passes and triangles created made us a great watch.

It's not going to be the same if he tucks one round the corner for Max who's stood on the halfway line ...

Yeah I voted no but back then he was the focal point of the team. And TEAM was what it was. Everyone bringing out the best in others. Martin benefitted greatly from Bryson's overlaps and the pace from the wingers and fullbacks. Meant going tight on Martin wasn't a simple solution to stopping Derby. 

Bryson had his best time by far. And that was something he couldn't have done without Martin. As proven by him never looking that good before or since 

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yeah I voted no but back then he was the focal point of the team. And TEAM was what it was. Everyone bringing out the best in others. Martin benefitted greatly from Bryson's overlaps and the pace from the wingers and fullbacks. Meant going tight on Martin wasn't a simple solution to stopping Derby. 

Bryson had his best time by far. And that was something he couldn't have done without Martin. As proven by him never looking that good before or since 

It worked. But that was then. When we go back - as we did with Andre Wisdom - it mainly doesn't work.

In fact I can't think of a time it DID work.

Wisdom, shackell, even Kev the King Mark II wasn't a patch on the first time.....

10 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

It worked. But that was then. When we go back - as we did with Andre Wisdom - it mainly doesn't work.

Wisdom, shackell, even Kev the King Mark II wasn't a patch on the first time.....

Shackell!! 

That was humiliating 

11 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I wouldn't argue with that.

We shouldn't go back.

Those that seek to revise history though, like he wasn't one of the best centre forwards in our recent history, need to accept he was actually a very good player, in a very decent team.

Just now, Rev said:

We shouldn't go back.

Those that seek to revise history though, like he wasn't one of the best centre forwards in our recent history, need to accept he was actually a very good player, in a very decent team.

He was quite good with Cocu too:

On Martin’s goalscoring form, Cocu told RamsTV: “That is excellent, to score three in three.

“I think with one or two chances he will score and it gives us an opportunity to play, to link up the play, and he knows very well when he has to drop and choose the position and be in the 18-yard box at the right time.

“That was positive, especially for him.”

Just now, Rev said:

We shouldn't go back.

He was. It was a brilliant system. I loved our 2013-14 team. We were terribly unlucky with fixtures..,.we had a lot of top teams early, before Mac arrived and got us really firing.

We never quite hit those heights again.

1 hour ago, mice_elf said:

You only really have to look at your first column in your table to see why Martin is the best striker we have had for many years. More than 10 000 more minutes served in the black and white than second place Wanchope. On top of that all other things he brought to the team like hold up play, clever play, winning free kicks to get us out of pressure, clearing corners and so on.

Also the statistics is a bit flawed due to the big discrepancy in minutes played. It's a bigger challenge to keep a good ratio  between minutes played and goals per minute when the number of minutes rises sharpley for a player.

Martin is a modern Derby County hero. Would he suit our current style of play? Unfortunately not I guess. Would I rather see Martin coming home than Rhodes for instance? Without a doubt even though it would probably affect his all so important minutes per goal statistics negative...

Edited by InstaRam