Billy Sharp

Dartmouth Ram

6 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/sport/sheffield-united-striker-billy-sharp-argues-with-derby-fans-outside-ground-b2189587.html

Over the last ten years or so Derby fans have;

Falsely accused and repeatedly chanted about/at him being a sex offender, paedo and rapist. "She said no Billy...she said no", "Derby boys are on a bender, Billy Sharp is a sex offender" and "Paedo paedo paedo". These were even sung on Saturday without him on the pitch or even playing for them anymore.

Openly mocked him for his baby son dying on social media and aimed similar themed chants at him. This, despite the club wearing black armbands for his family grieving and Sharp thanking the club. 

Taken any chance to send abusive messages to him on social media (see recent tweet examples), and in the open (see video) due to his dislike of the two above points.

He's well within his rights to dislike this and give back. I'm sure 99% of people if given the same torrent of abuse he's had off a loud but small minority here for many years, would react similarly as he has. To hate him as he simply has human feelings is quite harsh. 

Screenshot_20230801_004703.jpg

Excellent post.  Some football supporters think it’s OK to hurl abuse and then a player dares to have a reaction, most common is cupping their ears when they score, they then get offended.  Bizarre behaviour.

Personally, the chants at Sharpe are, quite frankly, disgusting.  You could argue he should walk away and ignore them but it’s not always that easy.  And as for the “pensioner” in the video, doesn’t seem like that to me.

As for the player, he’s another one that I think could chip in with a few goals. Obviously past his peak but would be a good impact sub.

25 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Excellent post.  Some football supporters think it’s OK to hurl abuse and then a player dares to have a reaction, most common is cupping their ears when they score, they then get offended.  Bizarre behaviour.

Personally, the chants at Sharpe are, quite frankly, disgusting.  You could argue he should walk away and ignore them but it’s not always that easy.  And as for the “pensioner” in the video, doesn’t seem like that to me.

As for the player, he’s another one that I think could chip in with a few goals. Obviously past his peak but would be a good impact sub.

Excellent post 👏 I just cannot see how he could sign for us after this. I think our 2 ITK’s have got this one wrong….

1 hour ago, Andrew1 said:

I agree that behaviour on social media is unacceptable, as are the chants related to his personal life.  Completely of limits for me.  Please note that I don’t do social media (this is as close as I get) i had a short stint on Twitter but found it so toxic I left.

Although having said that your recent examples are rather weak, if I had a few quid for every time someone called me a fatty I would be quite well off…

But what was his excuse for what is the potential run of the mill “sledging” that the Wrexham players (allegedly) gave him and his team mates?  It’s not just Derby he doesn’t like.

if he can’t cope with that (and his interview suggested not) then like I said he does not have the correct temperament or intelligence.

I played my first senior game at 16 or 17.  When I shook the hand of one  (very large) player, he pulled me towards him and said in low tones “I am going to break your ducking legs in about 5 minutes”. What did I do?  I kicked him first within 3.

Beat them on the pitch and you don’t need to do what he does, they’re is such a thing as a bad winner, and he is one…

Your personal example is nowhere near the same magnitude that Sharp has had to face and I reckon you know it. What was said to you was just an attempt at intimidation not highly offensive allegations. I don’t know what this poor old man shouted to Sharp but I somewhat doubt it was particularly friendly banter.

I don’t want Sharp to join Derby mainly because I don’t think he would offer enough but also because of the bad blood between him and a certain section of Derby supporters. But, we shouldn’t forget, those Derby supporters started it all (I believe) and Sharp had finally had enough. I would defy anyone to put up with what he’s had to face without snapping.

2 hours ago, Andrew1 said:

I agree that behaviour on social media is unacceptable, as are the chants related to his personal life.  Completely of limits for me.  Please note that I don’t do social media (this is as close as I get) i had a short stint on Twitter but found it so toxic I left.

Although having said that your recent examples are rather weak, if I had a few quid for every time someone called me a fatty I would be quite well off…

Most hatred seems to have come from the first two that have built up over the years. As has been said a while ago, the sex offender, rapist and paedo accusations came from the time when drunk lads were confusing him and the since acquitted Ched Evans. Then if I was to go through the horror of one of my children dying and anyone made fun of it, I'd sure remember it and hold grudges against them. 

Sure, the recent tweeters are quite lame with their comments however, it's constant over social media and one that fruits from the above accusations and targeted abuse. 

I agree, be the bigger person over the small things. But for the big ones, especially with a constant torrent of abuse for over a decade, I fully understand his view point. 

Regarding Wrexham, from what I heard from the interview clip on Talksport that was linked, he didn't like that Wrexham were cocky and already planning their next round game. For me, he's just calling out their arrogance after beating them. 

Last 5 seasons comparison to McGoldrick prior to joining;

Billy Sharp

117 Championship games of which 78 starts. 39 goals and 12 assists. 1 goal in 3 appearances or 1 in 2 starts.

41 Premiership games of which 17 starts. 6 goals and 2 assists. 1 in 7 appearances or 1 in 3 starts. 

McGoldrick

86 Championship games of which 63 starts. 23 goals and 13 assists. 1 in 4 appearances or 1 in 3 starts.

63 Premiership games of which 50 starts. 10 goals and 3 assists. 1 in 6 appearances or 1 in 5 starts. 

Other than goals in Premiership appearances, Sharp beats McGoldrick in the stats. We're in league one, this should translate well.

Regardless of the above - if he is a combative so and so on the pitch, then good. We've been too nice for far too long. We need the likes of Jamie Ward, Chris Martin, John Eustace, Robbie Savage etc to get in people's faces when the rough gets going. 

Edited by Ram@Lincoln

10 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don’t want Sharp to join Derby mainly because I don’t think he would offer enough but also because of the bad blood between him and a certain section of Derby supporters. But, we shouldn’t forget, those Derby supporters started it all (I believe) and Sharp had finally had enough. I would defy anyone to put up with what he’s had to face without snapping.

Agreed. Just regrettable, embarrassing behaviour on both sides, and not enough compelling reasons to find a way of learning to love one another!

Warne does seem a bit "unaware" of our Club's history with regards to Sharp if he is seriously considering signing him.

I thought his comment about us spotting a blurred out Waggy in the Huddersfield photos showed a similar naivety. 

I can't decide whether this is genuine or put on, though.

Surely someone at the Club longer than him makes him aware of these things? 

2 hours ago, Andrew1 said:

But what was his excuse for what is the potential run of the mill “sledging” that the Wrexham players (allegedly) gave him and his team mates?  It’s not just Derby he doesn’t like.

if he can’t cope with that (and his interview suggested not) then like I said he does not have the correct temperament or intelligence.

I played my first senior game at 16 or 17.  When I shook the hand of one  (very large) player, he pulled me towards him and said in low tones “I am going to break your ducking legs in about 5 minutes”. What did I do?  I kicked him first within 3.

Beat them on the pitch and you don’t need to do what he does, they’re is such a thing as a bad winner, and he is one…

No one’s perfect mate …that big guy threatening you would intimidate some but it didn’t you …but it happens 

I don’t think really personal insults are acceptable no matter what ..I don’t mean being called a fatty 

I remember us fans giving Gazza and Waddle stick when we played Spurs and reacted well even saw Waddle laughing when coming over to take a corner with his long hair to a chorus of gyyyyyypo!! gyyyypo!! lol but making remarks about someone’s son who’s passed away is very different and not on and if he reacted badly I don’t blame him for that 

17 minutes ago, angieram said:

Warne does seem a bit "unaware" of our Club's history with regards to Sharp if he is seriously considering signing him.

I thought his comment about us spotting a blurred out Waggy in the Huddersfield photos showed a similar naivety. 

I agree but realistically there's no way he gets very far along the road to a deal without someone bringing him up to speed on that history!

I realise by posting (again) I'm adding to the life of this thread, but is there actually any credible evidence that we're trying to sign Billy Sharp? The sooner he agrees terms as Doncaster player-coach, the better...

10 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I so wish we had a thread about a footballer who isn’t a mid thirties(or in this case late thirties) has been. Surely we can have higher aspirations than this

Aspirations of the club, or the fans on this forum? Again: do we have any credible evidence that the club wants to sign Sharp, or any other player in his thirties beyond possibly Waggy?

This would seem to be a very strange move for both parties given the problematic history. I certainly think he has been perfectly entitled to view some Derby fans with contempt after the abuse and particularly the subject matter of that abuse. Personally I have never joined in with any of it but significant numbers still do which is really disappointing. I don't think he covered himself with glory with his Wrexham mardiness but I suspect that he is a fairly prickly character and gets himself involved in these sorts of confrontations.

Would he score goals ? I'm sure he would but I doubt that he'd be a guaranteed starter and would he want to be an impact sub ? Seems unlikely. I would also worry that he would be to blame for every duff result. We could lose 3-0 and in the eyes of some, the loss would probably be because Sharp missed a chance or 'wasn't trying cos he hates us' not because we shipped 3 soft goals. We occasionally have a player who can't do wrong for doing right and at a time where we are trying to establish a sort of 'one club' sense of supporters and clubs together, I'd hate to see one of our players cupping his hand to his ear to throw any abuse or criticism back at the fans.

I just think this is a bit too toxic and not what we need now as a group. We need everyone pulling in the same direction and fans and players to have each others backs. On that basis I just can't see this being a thing and is likely just social media noise.

1 hour ago, jameso said:

Aspirations of the club, or the fans on this forum? Again: do we have any credible evidence that the club wants to sign Sharp, or any other player in his thirties beyond possibly Waggy?

There is often no smoke without fire with these things but I take your point. So either way it would be nice to have a thread or threads linking us with some more interesting and imaginative options. We have enough such players already for the front areas, Collins, Washington and NML. All over 30. I want to see a younger player

9 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/sport/sheffield-united-striker-billy-sharp-argues-with-derby-fans-outside-ground-b2189587.html

Over the last ten years or so Derby fans have;

Falsely accused and repeatedly chanted about/at him being a sex offender, paedo and rapist. "She said no Billy...she said no", "Derby boys are on a bender, Billy Sharp is a sex offender" and "Paedo paedo paedo". These were even sung on Saturday without him on the pitch or even playing for them anymore.

Openly mocked him for his baby son dying on social media and aimed similar themed chants at him. This, despite the club wearing black armbands for his family grieving and Sharp thanking the club. 

Taken any chance to send abusive messages to him on social media (see recent tweet examples), and in the open (see video) due to his dislike of the two above points.

He's well within his rights to dislike this and give back. I'm sure 99% of people if given the same torrent of abuse he's had off a loud but small minority here for many years, would react similarly as he has. To hate him as he simply has human feelings is quite harsh. 

Screenshot_20230801_004703.jpg

I don’t condone the behaviour of a mindless few and agree the abuse abhorrent. But away from Derby he hasn’t really done himself any favours has he? He’s a wind-up merchant and graceless with it!

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Make no mistake, PW and DCFC will be aware of the vitriol aimed at BS, If they don't then get out of the business of being a Pro Manager and running a Pro football club, Jim Smith eons ago had a dossier on players before they came, He interviewed them at length, Took them around Derby to show them what Derby has to offer...ie schools, Shops, Parks, In todays world of football a players DNA is forensically assessed...I'll be SHOCKED if PW signs BS.

As for the songs sung against Sharpe...mocking his baby's death and accusing him of sexual misbehaviour crosses the line and I for one would take up where  Eric Cantona left off.

1 hour ago, Alty_Ram said:

This would seem to be a very strange move for both parties given the problematic history. I certainly think he has been perfectly entitled to view some Derby fans with contempt after the abuse and particularly the subject matter of that abuse. Personally I have never joined in with any of it but significant numbers still do which is really disappointing. I don't think he covered himself with glory with his Wrexham mardiness but I suspect that he is a fairly prickly character and gets himself involved in these sorts of confrontations.

Would he score goals ? I'm sure he would but I doubt that he'd be a guaranteed starter and would he want to be an impact sub ? Seems unlikely. I would also worry that he would be to blame for every duff result. We could lose 3-0 and in the eyes of some, the loss would probably be because Sharp missed a chance or 'wasn't trying cos he hates us' not because we shipped 3 soft goals. We occasionally have a player who can't do wrong for doing right and at a time where we are trying to establish a sort of 'one club' sense of supporters and clubs together, I'd hate to see one of our players cupping his hand to his ear to throw any abuse or criticism back at the fans.

I just think this is a bit too toxic and not what we need now as a group. We need everyone pulling in the same direction and fans and players to have each others backs. On that basis I just can't see this being a thing and is likely just social media noise.

Spot on post! Just change that one word to vile or disgusting