Have you already seen the best Derby County?

Bris Vegas

I grew up in the 90s. Fell in love with football as a kid mid 90s so got to enjoy the Jim Smith years.

The kit thread brought back nostalgia looking at the Puma yellow shirt.

And it got me thinking. Will Derby ever be as good as that again? I’m mid thirties so hopefully time is on my side.

But modern football is different. There already looks like an established top 7 in the PL so kudos to Brentford and Brighton challenging that.

Those that saw Derby in the 70s and 80s I fear you’ve possibly already seen the best. I think my generation is touch and go for the foreseeable future.

Theoretically we have the makings of an established PL side but it's a long journey from here.

I loved watching that late 90s side when European football was a genuine possibility for a couple of seasons. I'll be sad if that's the best I ever see as a Ram but I guess count myself fortunate that I have seen my club compete at that level. Many fans will never get that for their clubs.

I'm the same, will it be like that again who knows but what I will say it could be worse. Look at some ex-prem teams Oldham, Swindon, Bradford plus a few more.

What I will say that gives me hope is that we've seen teams go down to league one and it allowed them to have a sort of soft reset remove some overpaid deadwood and came back to the Championship better for it, that is my hope for Derby in the short term.

But as you said it only takes one season for this to change, negative look at Chelsea this season, positive look at Brighton this season or the exceptional look at Leicester a few seasons back! Nothing is certain in football and we love it for it.

Edited by Retro_RAM

I have always harboured two ambitions for Derby County:

a) see them play in Europe

b) see them win at Wembley 

Technically, I did see them play in Italy for the Anglo/Italian Cup, and would have seen them in 1988, were it not for getting banned due to Liverpool fans rioting.

They have won at Wembley twice in my lifetime, Charity Shield against West Ham when I was too young and WBA in the playoffs, when I was in Borneo. I have seen every defeat in my lifetime though… 

I would still like to achieve these, but fear that it will never come to pass…

Well, I started going in 2003 and that match I attended that day was dire! Walsall won 1-0, and Pablo Mills was sent off. first season ticket was 06/07,which I really enjoyed and again Mac 13/14. Overall,  though the fact I was born in 1995,  meant that I missed out on Jim Smith seasons. I hope in a few years time, we can talk about a new exciting era for Derby.

The great thing about live football is that you can have great moments whatever the level.

The Leeds playoff Semi Final win was as good or better in terms of the emotional event than most of the 90’s prem games, despite none of the footballers being at the same talent level.

I have had the Cox and Smith top flight years in my supporting life and they were great times. But there were exciting games in none too flight seasons too which I have enjoyed as much or more.

“That Season” in the PL where we went every week expecting to lose is something I could do without repeating. Last season in L1 was way better even if you don’t get to see Ronaldo.

"Have you already seen the best Derby County?"

Yes, 75-76 before Charlie George's shoulder injury. Even better than the two championship winning teams IMHO though I saw more matches that season so it may have skewed my view.

But Charlie George and Kevin Hector....wow.

Throw in McFarland, Todd, Gemmill, Rioch, Lee, Nish, Newton.... You won't beat that.

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I grew up in the 90s. Fell in love with football as a kid mid 90s so got to enjoy the Jim Smith years.

The kit thread brought back nostalgia looking at the Puma yellow shirt.

And it got me thinking. Will Derby ever be as good as that again? I’m mid thirties so hopefully time is on my side.

But modern football is different. There already looks like an established top 7 in the PL so kudos to Brentford and Brighton challenging that.

Those that saw Derby in the 70s and 80s I fear you’ve possibly already seen the best. I think my generation is touch and go for the foreseeable future.

I'm the same mate. Mid 30's and was lucky enough to see that 1998 team and the Jim Smith years. 

If we ever get a better side than that then we are in for a treat. But why not aim high. 

Look at Brighton. It can definitely be done.

My first game as a Rams fan was in 1955 in the third division north I was 13. I bought my first season ticket in 1966 the last season of Tim Ward as manager and the first season of Kevin Hector(the King). I have never wavered in my love for Derby County, so in those 68 years I have seen the best and the worst of them. And I enjoyed last season as much as the first. And speaking of the King my wife and I have received a card from the King and Queen this morning on our 60th wedding anniversary. UTR.  

Born in '54. First game in '61. As with @Geriatram, there is a very good chance I won't see the heights of the 70s again. I do hope I will and, failing that, I'd love my 2 lads (now 28 and 30) to see us be the best again.

Both were born some 15 miles from the Ajax Stadium. Both are Derby through and through so I got that right. Internationals? They do support Holland, however, when the opposition is England they support England.

Whatever the level there will always be things to savour.

Last season we were in with a shout right up to the last kick of the season and only missed out on the playoffs thanks to a dubious penalty. Didzy was a joy to watch.

Season before? We nearly lost the club we all love. The togetherness that generated will long be remembered.

Cut us, we bleed black and white.

I think I’ve seen the best of Derby County, my dad bought me my first season ticket for the 71/72 season I was 6 years old. I continued as a season ticket holder until 1981 when I left school and started playing football on Saturday’s.By 1981 we weren’t very good we got relegated in 1980 (we’ll be back in 81).i went to games when I could and got my season ticket again in the late 90’s when I packed up playing on Saturday’s. As someone else as said the best team I saw was the 75/76 team that had just signed Charlie George to add to the league champions. Unfortunately the way football is structured now I don’t think I’ll see the like again

3 hours ago, maydrakin said:

I have always harboured two ambitions for Derby County:

a) see them play in Europe

b) see them win at Wembley 

Technically, I did see them play in Italy for the Anglo/Italian Cup, and would have seen them in 1988, were it not for getting banned due to Liverpool fans rioting.

They have won at Wembley twice in my lifetime, Charity Shield against West Ham when I was too young and WBA in the playoffs, when I was in Borneo. I have seen every defeat in my lifetime though… 

I would still like to achieve these...

I'm with you there, although I only saw the Charity Shield win - but FIFY as I feel at last we're on the long trek back and Europe is easily achievable! However I can't see them being better than title winners, but that is down to them being first love! If Brentford etc can be up there then so can we but it will need a good team. Seeds are being sown right now. #COYR

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

"Have you already seen the best Derby County?"

Yes, 75-76 before Charlie George's shoulder injury. Even better than the two championship winning teams IMHO though I saw more matches that season so it may have skewed my view.

But Charlie George and Kevin Hector....wow.

Throw in McFarland, Todd, Gemmill, Rioch, Lee, Nish, Newton.... You won't beat that.

Almost word for word, what I was going to write. 

There is one longing that I have and that is to see us play in the FA Cup final at Wembley. That can be still possible with a bit of luck, with the draw and playing top teams on an off day and good refereeing decisions, whereas winning the League is no longer possible.

1966 was my 1st game at the age of 10, Football was different back then and has now moved into an age where money rules the game, I've seen the best times, Clough Snr, Mackay, Cox, Smith, I can not see us reaching those heights again, It was a time of utter joy and a time of utter hopelessness, Trophies and relegations, Wealthy and bankrupt we still went, We travelled the Country far and wide just to see our Derby County, The mantle has been passed to my Son and Grandsons where the Grandsons have to compete with the City's, United's, Spurs, Arsenal's and Chelsea's of this world.

I've seen the best alright and those memories make me smile as time moves on Thanks Thank You GIF by BLKBOK

Only saw the championship teams on tv and then as a mildly curious teenager ( Where have Derby County appeared from??)

Arrived in Derby in 1980 but only started supporting 1983. Remember clearly thinking that the decent to Div 3 was it and the club would never come back….then came King Arthur and the great revival followed by Jim Smith and some fantastic times. As with others thought last season was fantastic such great support and yes we can get back to the top we have the fan base but it  be will take some luck as well as good management.