Titanic Sub missing

Stive Pesley

Whilst ultimately we'll never know what the point of failure was (crack in the carbon fibre, debonding where the carbon fibre was joined to the other components, failure of the hatch) the attitude of the company towards safety is very much a route cause.

I'm also not really surprised the us navy heard the implosion on the "big secret listening for russian subs network" but didn't tell anyone despite knowing all along.

30 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm also not really surprised the us navy heard the implosion on the "big secret listening for russian subs network" but didn't tell anyone despite knowing all along.

I doubt they did know all along. They'll have heard a noise but that nobody could be sure exactly what it was.

Would you call off a search for possiblly alive people on the strength of a noise that someone heard?. It's likely that it's only after the event that they've gone back and checked the sounds they picked up.

I used to work with BAE Systems, making the Astute class attack subs and they always used to say that from just off the UK coast, they could hear boats leaving New York harbour. Imagine how many noises these listening sites hear constantly.

28 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I doubt they did know all along. They'll have heard a noise but that nobody could be sure exactly what it was.

Would you call off a search for possiblly alive people on the strength of a noise that someone heard?. It's likely that it's only after the event that they've gone back and checked the sounds they picked up.

I used to work with BAE Systems, making the Astute class attack subs and they always used to say that from just off the UK coast, they could hear boats leaving New York harbour. Imagine how many noises these listening sites hear constantly.

Fair point.

4 hours ago, Srg said:

Was reading some information last night about the hull. It was carbon fibre, which was very risky and lead to one of the leaders of the company leaving when he wasn't listened to. Basically, the claim was made that there's no equipment in existence that could pressure test the carbon fibre to the level required, so their answer was to fit a system which would detect when catastrophic failure was imminent (which is pointless, because it's too late). Any imperfections in shape etc would be multiplied to the Nth degree at those depths.

Think we must have read the same article. You only need to look at the Titan, in comparison to other deep sea subs and it looks very poundland. But you also have to question those who went down in it, especially where fairly public opinions on its capabilities had already been aired. There's putting yourself at risk and there's putting yourself at risk. Sky diving without a reserve?

4 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Sad news - but 5 stories plus a live news feed, all at the top of the BBC news website seem a bit disproportionate

When the next non-Submersible news story is the one about how millions are being pushed into mortgage arrears by interest hikes

It also seems dictionary-definition level ironic that the original Titanic was made and owned by a company that ignored safety measures and filled their vessel full of very rich people before ending in tragedy ...

Would it be sadder news if those in the sub, and the original Titanic, had been poor? On your empathy barometer what is the richness tipping point that takes you one way or the other?

48 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Would it be sadder news if those in the sub, and the original Titanic, had been poor? On your empathy barometer what is the richness tipping point that takes you one way or the other?

Hang on no - the sadness was that the BBC news page was running so many stories and drowning out (no un-empathetic pun intended) the rest of the news

The bit about the Titanic and the rich people was merely a wry observation. My empathy barometer does not discriminate - I will stick it up anyone!

11 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Hang on no - the sadness was that the BBC news page was running so many stories and drowning out (no un-empathetic pun intended) the rest of the news

The bit about the Titanic and the rich people was merely a wry observation. My empathy barometer does not discriminate - I will stick it up anyone!

They weren't the only news outlet doing that. I would imagine they all have analytic teams in  place that monitor the most sought after stories moving them to the top of the page.

Be many that won't be arsed, the news is the news though 🤷🏻‍♂️

Didn’t really know anything about this company prior to this, but after doing some reading and seeing the BBC documentary Take Me To The Titanic.

The levels of amateur engineering, cost cutting and disregard for safety is shocking the more we hear coming out.

In this BBC doc alone, they go 15,000 ft down and find out the PlayStation controller that controls the sub needs to be remapped. They also find they ram four dives with a thruster installed back to front.

Lots of of stuff will come out in the coming weeks about how this operation was run, not much of it good I suspect.

I wonder when the families will start legal proceedings?

8 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Didn’t really know anything about this company prior to this, but after doing some reading and seeing the BBC documentary Take Me To The Titanic.

The levels of amateur engineering, cost cutting and disregard for safety is shocking the more we hear coming out.

In this BBC doc alone, they go 15,000 ft down and find out the PlayStation controller that controls the sub needs to be remapped. They also find they ram four dives with a thruster installed back to front.

Lots of of stuff will come out in the coming weeks about how this operation was run, not much of it good I suspect.

I wonder when the families will start legal proceedings?

Yeah, they sound very dodgy.  Breaking news on the BBC to say that their CEO repeatedly dismissed warnings over the safety of the sub. Soon as I heard that things were allegedly dodgy, I said to the wife I wonder when all the law suits will come out.  Regardless, this is likely the end of OceanGate as a company. 

Blimey. 

Titan sub implosion: What we know about catastrophic event

"What happens in an implosion?

When a submarine hull collapses, it moves inward at about 1,500mph (2,414km/h) - that's 2,200ft (671m) per second, says Dave Corley, a former US nuclear submarine officer.

The time required for complete collapse is about one millisecond, or one thousandth of a second.

A human brain responds instinctually to a stimulus at about 25 milliseconds, Mr Corley says. Human rational response - from sensing to acting - is believed to be at best 150 milliseconds.

The air inside a sub has a fairly high concentration of hydrocarbon vapours.

When the hull collapses, the air auto-ignites and an explosion follows the initial rapid implosion, Mr Corley says.

Human bodies incinerate and are turned to ash and dust instantly."

1 hour ago, BucksRam said:

Yeah, they sound very dodgy.  Breaking news on the BBC to say that their CEO repeatedly dismissed warnings over the safety of the sub. Soon as I heard that things were allegedly dodgy, I said to the wife I wonder when all the law suits will come out.  Regardless, this is likely the end of OceanGate as a company. 

They fired two guys and then sued one of them after they raised concerns about the safety procedures, build quality, etc.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/06/21/us/titan-sub-safety-oceangate-employees/index.html

On 23/06/2023 at 13:59, i-Ram said:

Perhaps we can put Mel Morris in a capsule, and blow it to smithereens as he looks out through the porthole at Pride Park Stadium. 
What do you guys think?

That'd be the easy way out.. 

Stick him in the the council ground for half a season, then in the south stand for the other half. With drawing pins under his foreskin.

See how he fares....