Titanic Sub missing

Stive Pesley

14 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

It's terrible for all concerned but when people are spending £250k to go look (possibly, its not guaranteed) at a ship wreck on the ocean floor while nurses are using food banks it tells us just how crazy the world has become.

Or, if you want another example, five millionaires get in trouble at sea and we mobilize search efforts from around the world and it is the lead item on all news channels. Seven hundred migrants in a boat get into in trouble off the Greek coast and they are ignored for two days before the boat eventually sinks.

12 hours ago, Rev said:

The western world rushes to provide aid to a few billionaires on a jolly, yet seems nonplussed when 500+ migrants are locked in a hold a few miles south of Greece.

Sorry @Rev, should have read the thread - I had exactly the same thought this morning, as you can see. 

On 21/06/2023 at 10:17, BaaLocks said:

Or, if you want another example, five millionaires get in trouble at sea and we mobilize search efforts from around the world and it is the lead item on all news channels. Seven hundred migrants in a boat get into in trouble off the Greek coast and they are ignored for two days before the boat eventually sinks.

It really is disturbing and it shows who we, or the media, care about.IMG_0585.thumb.png.5962938311df55c8ceae76a6befb10f4.png

2 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

It really is disturbing and it shows who we, or the media, care about.IMG_0585.thumb.png.5962938311df55c8ceae76a6befb10f4.png

I think that's an over-simplification.

The titanic sub is huge news because it's a live story about a possible rescue of people who may still be alive. If we'd have been told on day one that the sub was lost and they'd died, then the story would have been & gone long ago.

As it is, it's no different to the one years ago about the children stuck in the Thai cave, which was also all over the news for the same reasons.

24 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yeah but these are millionaires like us. Not some foreign riff raff. 

Strange comment.

If this is in reply to me, then my point is that this coverage is similar to the "foreign riff raff" trapped in the cave.

Were people complaining about the wall-to-wall coverage of that story?. I don't remember them doing so. If not, then it appears that the complaints this time are only because the people involved are rich - which is a weird wealth envy point to be making IMO.

At the end of the day it's a "boy down the well" story that'll stay in the news as long as there's something newsworthy to call "breaking news"

Edited by Wolfie
typo

I have to admit I hate the sea it just scares me as someone who can't swim. When I've been seeing pictures of this sub and pictures of The Titanic on the sea bed it just makes me so claustrophobic and a sense of anxiety and panic I will watch it for a minute then switch to another channel. I think myself they are mad but each to there own. I just hope they can be rescued. I don't know about anyone else but these journeys to see The Titanic should be stopped ASAP this is a tragic grave and people shouldn't be visiting like it's some kind of Jolly Boy's Outing. 

Edited by ziggyram59

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Strange comment.

If this is in reply to me, then my point is that this coverage is similar to the "foreign riff raff" trapped in the cave.

Were people complaining about the wall-to-wall coverage of that story?. I don't remember them doing so. If not, then it appears that the complaints this time are only because the people involved are rich - which is a weird wealth envy point to be making IMO.

At the end of the day it's a "boy down the well" story that'll stay in the news as long as there's something newsworthy to call "breaking news"

Nah wasn't reply to you. 

It was just half in jest after seeing the dominant coverage on the news while across the bottom you see lesser news

Deadly explosion in Paris! 

UN condemn Israeli expansion plan as Palestinians are killed in West Bank. 

It's the norm. But slightly amusing what we care about

1 hour ago, ziggyram59 said:

I have to admit I hate the sea it just scares me as someone who can't swim. When I've been seeing pictures of this sub and pictures of The Titanic on the sea bed it just makes me so claustrophobic and a sense of anxiety and panic I will watch it for a minute then switch to another channel. I think myself they are mad but each to there own. I just hope they can be rescued. I don't know about anyone else but these journeys to see The Titanic should be stopped ASAP this is a tragic grave and people shouldn't be visiting like it's some kind of Jolly Boy's Outing. 

Was tempted to agree with this... particularly if the mood of the visitors is indeed akin to a jolly boys outing.

But of course, the mood of the visitors is paramount.  
If they are there to gawp and whoop, then I'm with you 100%.  (In truth, I've no idea of the purpose of this particular trip, or indeed the mood and/or intentions of the as yet unfound souls on board.)

However, if they are there to show their respects... be they descendants or otherwise... it's a different perspective entirely.

On a different scale admittedly, and perhaps an unfair comparison, but less than a fortnight ago, I visited numerous and plentiful such "Tragic graves", along with many others, but the mood of those around me were respectful, courteous, and in this particular instance, appeared to be tinged with gratitude.
I'd like to think those lain below us, and those slain around us, were rather pleased to know we still remember them.

xxx 

bad32a59-8638-4fee-b886-e44b37d29826.thumb.jpg.b37408cf82e69958754a82f0ad05460b.jpg

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I think that's an over-simplification.

The titanic sub is huge news because it's a live story about a possible rescue of people who may still be alive. If we'd have been told on day one that the sub was lost and they'd died, then the story would have been & gone long ago.

As it is, it's no different to the one years ago about the children stuck in the Thai cave, which was also all over the news for the same reasons.

I was following a similar thought process and I was reminded of the Chilean miners - they were poor and there were a lot of them, but the media covered that story in the same way they are covering the Sub. 

Timing-wise though it's certainly awkward that it's happening at the same time migrants are dying in boats with very little media sympathy

On 20/06/2023 at 15:56, Stive Pesley said:

Good grief - this story is horrific and is making me feel claustrophobic just thinking about it

Plus I'm gob-smacked at the details of how ramshackle the craft is. I'd assumed it was a state of the art thing, but it sounds like a pressurised metal box

Here's hoping for a happy ending but I'm not feeling confident given the depths they're talking

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-65953941

I actually thought the video was some kind of joke, my first thought was it’s an episode of scrap heap challenge. 
Was this their inspiration?

https://junkyardwarsonline.tripod.com/usseries4/subracers/subs.html

Edited by cstand

24 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I was following a similar thought process and I was reminded of the Chilean miners - they were poor and there were a lot of them, but the media covered that story in the same way they are covering the Sub. 

Timing-wise though it's certainly awkward that it's happening at the same time migrants are dying in boats with very little media sympathy

I don't think it's necessarily that. I think it's just that the news agenda moves on from day to day. A story has to evolve, to stay in the spotlight.

The migrant tragedy off Greece was front and centre for a day or two but then after that (until there are results of any investigations) the people are still dead in the boat that's still at the bottom of the Med. As sad and awful as it is, it's no longer "news".