Titanic Sub missing

Stive Pesley

There was a chap where I grew up who was in a submarine during WW2 that got hit. He survived but it seriously did his nut in to the point that he couldn’t live inside. He used to always be around the town but lived in barns etc. He was a bit of a target for young kids but I bet they look back now and think what he must have gone through.
He was a real character around the town. 
You wouldn’t get me going in one.

BBC news now has a Titanic expert on! 3 brits have died which is really sad.

My nephew knew 3 people who died in a car crash in Oxfordshire the other day, plus driver is critical. Reports I read talked about how there have been loads of accidents at the same place as a blind corner with loads of trees.

I think the Oxford Mail covered it.

What I don’t get is that it went to see Titanic so surely that would narrow down the area they’d need to search for it? With all of today’s tech wouldn’t it have narrowed down the search zone? Immaterial now sadly 

5 hours ago, SKRam said:

What I don’t get is that it went to see Titanic so surely that would narrow down the area they’d need to search for it? With all of today’s tech wouldn’t it have narrowed down the search zone? Immaterial now sadly 

It was 12,000 feet down, in pitch black. 

And it wasn't there because it was in bits. It was like the blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat. That isn't there. 

11 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

BBC news now has a Titanic expert on! 3 brits have died which is really sad.

My nephew knew 3 people who died in a car crash in Oxfordshire the other day, plus driver is critical. Reports I read talked about how there have been loads of accidents at the same place as a blind corner with loads of trees.

I think the Oxford Mail covered it.

I did see that story on the BBC website but I think you had to go into the UK tab to get it.

Sadly, fatal road crashes are too frequent to really be considered newsworthy.

11 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Could have done without James Cameron going all "told you so" on 5Live this morning. Nob.

Seem to be a few people coming out with the "I told you so" story.  That said, it does sound like OceanGate may have been somewhat gung-ho in their approach to deep sea navigation, cashing in on rich adventurers rather than ensuring their sub was fit for purpose. Constant stresses at that depth have a cumulative effect on hull integrity.  A sub that was used to go to the Mariana Trench not long ago, designed to cope with pressures at that depth (nearly 7 miles down), won't ever be used to go that deep again as the owners don't want to risk it. Somewhat telling me thinks. 

6 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Seem to be a few people coming out with the "I told you so" story.  That said, it does sound like OceanGate may have been somewhat gung-ho in their approach to deep sea navigation, cashing in on rich adventurers rather than ensuring their sub was fit for purpose. Constant stresses at that depth have a cumulative effect on hull integrity.  A sub that was used to go to the Mariana Trench not long ago, designed to cope with pressures at that depth (nearly 7 miles down), won't ever be used to go that deep again as the owners don't want to risk it. Somewhat telling me thinks. 

Was reading some information last night about the hull. It was carbon fibre, which was very risky and lead to one of the leaders of the company leaving when he wasn't listened to. Basically, the claim was made that there's no equipment in existence that could pressure test the carbon fibre to the level required, so their answer was to fit a system which would detect when catastrophic failure was imminent (which is pointless, because it's too late). Any imperfections in shape etc would be multiplied to the Nth degree at those depths.

Sad news - but 5 stories plus a live news feed, all at the top of the BBC news website seem a bit disproportionate

When the next non-Submersible news story is the one about how millions are being pushed into mortgage arrears by interest hikes

It also seems dictionary-definition level ironic that the original Titanic was made and owned by a company that ignored safety measures and filled their vessel full of very rich people before ending in tragedy ...

20 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Was tempted to agree with this... particularly if the mood of the visitors is indeed akin to a jolly boys outing.

But of course, the mood of the visitors is paramount.  
If they are there to gawp and whoop, then I'm with you 100%.  (In truth, I've no idea of the purpose of this particular trip, or indeed the mood and/or intentions of the as yet unfound souls on board.)

However, if they are there to show their respects... be they descendants or otherwise... it's a different perspective entirely.

On a different scale admittedly, and perhaps an unfair comparison, but less than a fortnight ago, I visited numerous and plentiful such "Tragic graves", along with many others, but the mood of those around me were respectful, courteous, and in this particular instance, appeared to be tinged with gratitude.
I'd like to think those lain below us, and those slain around us, were rather pleased to know we still remember them.

xxx 

bad32a59-8638-4fee-b886-e44b37d29826.thumb.jpg.b37408cf82e69958754a82f0ad05460b.jpg

Yes you have a point I never thought of. RIP to those who have perished my thoughts are with there families. 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Was reading some information last night about the hull. It was carbon fibre, which was very risky and lead to one of the leaders of the company leaving when he wasn't listened to. Basically, the claim was made that there's no equipment in existence that could pressure test the carbon fibre to the level required, so their answer was to fit a system which would detect when catastrophic failure was imminent (which is pointless, because it's too late). Any imperfections in shape etc would be multiplied to the Nth degree at those depths.

5'000 Ibs of pressure per square inch at that depth