Worst UK holiday resorts

Poynton ram

With B4 extoling the virtues of holidaying in the Uk on another thread it got me thinking about the grimmest Uk destinations. Rhyl has to be up there, Bridlington particularly around the fair, Blackpool and Great Yarmouth, Whitley Bay. Fair dos there are some great places too, love the Pembrokeshire coast, the Jurassic coast and the North east atlround Robin Hoods Bay and Bamburgh

Blackpool, Around 5 years ago for 5 days, I never knew then that it's alleged to be the drug capital of the north, Where benefit claimants top up the drugs culture, There's a paved area not far from the North Pier where jokes and sayings are painted on the paving's, There was some sort of an emergency there so I mooched over to have a nosey, They were dragging a body out of the water, I heard later it was drug related as this is a common occurrence, Every bus stop and litter bin there was someone sitting against them begging, In the back street just off the main road police were arresting a shoplifter, Another day a young lad was screaming for him mum, Apparently she'd got in a taxi and left him there on his own, Mums and Dads with 8-10 kids effing and blinding at each other, Stag/Hen do's galore, Fights involving both men and women, Gutters used as toilets by both sexes, Crap gifts sold as genuinely made in Taiwan, Chavs and Chevets, Guest house after guest house boarded up or for sale.

I've booked again for 5 days in August 😁    

Skeg Vegas is grim. Butlins is like a prison camp. Whole place just reeks of unbelievable cheapness and tackiness. Just plain nasty. 

Blackpool isn't far off. First time I've gone into a gents toilets in a  seaside resort which has blue strip lighting to stop people shooting up in there. I've never seen so many pools of vomit on the pavement on my way home to my hotel. 

1 hour ago, Poynton ram said:

With B4 extoling the virtues of holidaying in the Uk on another thread it got me thinking about the grimmest Uk destinations. Rhyl has to be up there, Bridlington particularly around the fair, Blackpool and Great Yarmouth, Whitley Bay. Fair dos there are some great places too, love the Pembrokeshire coast, the Jurassic coast and the North east atlround Robin Hoods Bay and Bamburgh

My grandparents used to live at Kinmel Bay near Rhyl many years ago and we used to go there regularly. Also, about 10 years ago, when I was an area manager in North Wales Rhyl was one of my branches. 

Kinmel Bay is OK but I wouldn't even drive along the sea front at Rhyl now.

2 hours ago, sage said:

Only decent resort out of the big ones is Bournemouth, maybe Scarborough as a base to explore.

Bournemouth was pretty grim in the town of an evening when me and the missus were there a couple of years ago. Shops boarded up, druggies and beggars everywhere. The only highlight was having a chat with that welsh couple from Gogglebox who were in the hotel next to ours.

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Bournemouth was pretty grim in the town of an evening when me and the missus were there a couple of years ago. Shops boarded up, druggies and beggars everywhere. The only highlight was having a chat with that welsh couple from Gogglebox who were in the hotel next to ours.

Covid hit all resorts. Its nightlife is its weakest point, you have to know where to go. Nice beach, parks etc 

went to Rhyl in October to meet my recently discovered (via AncestryDNA) family, who were there for a Indoor Bowls International.

I last went in about 1991 and it had become full of drugs and really run down. Last year it looked like they'd tried to tidy it up a bit, and whilst there were cranes and building sites scattered around, it was certainly not as grim as 30 years ago. It was very quiet though and not as lively as I recall, however it was October!

20 hours ago, The Last Post said:

Blackpool, Around 5 years ago for 5 days, I never knew then that it's alleged to be the drug capital of the north, Where benefit claimants top up the drugs culture, There's a paved area not far from the North Pier where jokes and sayings are painted on the paving's, There was some sort of an emergency there so I mooched over to have a nosey, They were dragging a body out of the water, I heard later it was drug related as this is a common occurrence, Every bus stop and litter bin there was someone sitting against them begging, In the back street just off the main road police were arresting a shoplifter, Another day a young lad was screaming for him mum, Apparently she'd got in a taxi and left him there on his own, Mums and Dads with 8-10 kids effing and blinding at each other, Stag/Hen do's galore, Fights involving both men and women, Gutters used as toilets by both sexes, Crap gifts sold as genuinely made in Taiwan, Chavs and Chevets, Guest house after guest house boarded up or for sale.

I've booked again for 5 days in August 😁    

Thanks Judith.

Next we look at Benidorm….

IMG_1209.jpeg