Worst UK holiday resorts

Poynton ram

6 hours ago, Boycie said:

Anyone rich or posh enough to have been to Center Parcs?

You know it 😜

Going there in 4 weeks, went a couple of years ago. Is cheaper and less stressful then taking the kids abroad

It's nice, like a posh butlins

7 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I worked for a business whose HQs were in Plymouth so was down there a fair bit. 

The area around The Barbican seemed pretty nice, I usually stayed in a hotel in Roborough which is North Plymouth or maybe just outside of the city limits and that was a very nice area. 

Guess its like saying if you go to West Bridgford for a weekend you don't contemplate that the rest of Nottingham is an absolute hole. 

Roborough is alright, I ran one of the supermarkets up there for 3 years. The city itself is really run down and rough, come 10 mins away from the barbican and your in union street which is legitimately one of the worst places I've had the misfortune to ever visit. I could go into great depth about how run down the city is, the council need to invest now but are doing that whole uni student thing and focusing on the wrong area which will only punish them longer term

13 hours ago, bimmerman said:

You know it 😜

Going there in 4 weeks, went a couple of years ago. Is cheaper and less stressful then taking the kids abroad

It's nice, like a posh butlins

Not the Sherwood one I’d assume?

7 hours ago, Boycie said:

Not been to Coastfields or Posh Parcs.

Coastfields is a caravan park in Ingoldmells. A mate of mine worked there and got us a free van for a weekend a couple of years before covid.

It was that bad it was brilliant, there was a group of us and it turned out a raite laugh even though the camp would have looked dated in the 70's !!!!!

The karaoke pubs in Ingoldmells, sticky carpets, sticky women, bingo, happy hours, pished families from Halifax with feral kids, the camp swimming pool got shut down cos some fecker shat in it............one bloke with a Leeds shirt on fell off an open top double decker bus, got up and ran alongside banging on the door to be let back on as it rolled slowly down past Fantasy Island market..........

Class, you don't get that sort of entertainment at Centre Parcs.

The only thing missing was Stephen Mulhearn.

13 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Coastfields is a caravan park in Ingoldmells. A mate of mine worked there and got us a free van for a weekend a couple of years before covid.

It was that bad it was brilliant, there was a group of us and it turned out a raite laugh even though the camp would have looked dated in the 70's !!!!!

The karaoke pubs in Ingoldmells, sticky carpets, sticky women, bingo, happy hours, pished families from Halifax with feral kids, the camp swimming pool got shut down cos some fecker shat in it............one bloke with a Leeds shirt on fell off an open top double decker bus, got up and ran alongside banging on the door to be let back on as it rolled slowly down past Fantasy Island market..........

Class, you don't get that sort of entertainment at Centre Parcs.

The only thing missing was Stephen Mulhearn.

Home from home then, Utch. 😉

On 18/05/2023 at 17:17, bimmerman said:

No, longleat. Didn't fancy taking 3 kids under 7 on a plane, so this seemed the least stressful option. Been to butlins the past 5 years in minehead so a change of scenery will be nice

Longleat is our local one and we used to be regulars when junior was younger.

Got an almighty bollocking for losing my wedding ring in the rapids bit of the pool, which is apparently the best one (say people we know who've been to a few).

On 17/05/2023 at 13:19, Skin em Ted said:

smelled like a business of ferrets had recently vacated

Use of the correct collective noun - I can't put my admiration into words.....

Tenby is OK, Southwold also.

Anything with a Pier (yes, inc. GB News) is generally best avoided. It's the Victorians way of warning us.

I like the North Yorks Coast and Moors.

North Bay of Scarborough, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby, Sandsend, Runswick Bay, Staithes, Goathland, Beck Hole, Falling Foss

Scarborough around Peasholm Park and the Cricket Ground is a good cheap base to explore the rest. ab

As a frequent visitor to the UK, the place that disappointed me was Glasgow.

We spent time in Glasgow twice last year (before and after hiking the West Highland Way) and as much as we tried to like it we just didn’t get it. Maybe we were spoiled staying in Edinburgh for a month before hand.

8 hours ago, Stagtime said:

Maybe we were spoiled staying in Edinburgh for a month before hand.

Did Edinburgh last year . Total let down. Park full of litter. Half the shops boarded up and even Castle was a con. queued for an hour to see some "Crown Jewels" which turned out to be a sword and something unforgettable in almost pitch darkness. Then a Seagull nicked my expensive bit of Dundee cake, and knocked my coffee over the lady sat next to me.

Busses were good and cheap though. Parking in Centre total nightmare.

49 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Did Edinburgh last year . Total let down. Park full of litter. Half the shops boarded up and even Castle was a con. queued for an hour to see some "Crown Jewels" which turned out to be a sword and something unforgettable in almost pitch darkness. Then a Seagull nicked my expensive bit of Dundee cake, and knocked my coffee over the lady sat next to me.

Busses were good and cheap though. Parking in Centre total nightmare.

We leased a unit in Rose St above shops and pubs for a month and lived like locals. Absolutely loved it doing walks during the day and then hitting the pubs at night. Lost count how many times we’ve been, pity about the 30 hours of flying to get there.

On 16/05/2023 at 11:58, Wolfie said:

We love a day out in Skeggy (usually go when we're camping for the weekend in mid-Linconshire).

Fish & chips / 2p arcades / fairground rides etc.

Lovely for the day. I would imagine it's pretty grim if you go for much longer.

I love a day in Smeg, as it always reaffirms that I am a perfectly presentable and articulate human being.  TBH I don't mind a lot of the seaside resorts as I love people watching.  But Blackpool really is a toilet...

On 17/05/2023 at 20:19, Boycie said:

Anyone rich or posh enough to have been to Center Parcs?

Went to the Sherwood one once and have never been back.  You wouldn't mind paying so much if all the activities were included but on top of forking out £1200 for 3 days, they expect you to cough up a fiver for 15 minutes of table tennis!  Rip off!