Worst UK holiday resorts

Poynton ram

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Nah. I love North Wales and visit regularly but, apart from a few exceptions, there’s nowt wrong with England either.

True!

When I was a kid in the early 60's we used to go to Rhyl every year on a coach trip and it was a fantastic day out. The Marine Lake, clean beaches, donkey rides, cycles to hire, boating lake, arcades, Punch & Judy, floral hall and great cafes - simple pleasures but it was brilliant.

It started going downhill fast when Merseyside-based drug gangs moved in and it has never recovered - such a shame but then there's a number of other resort towns in the UK which have suffered a similar fate.

Might get shot at dawn but I didn't rate Filey at all. It's good if you was staying at the Haven Caravan park and for walking the dogs on the beach (when it was allowed). Stupidly steep hill down to the beach, nothing going on in the town. Chippy was naff. Nothing on the sea front.

At least with Bridlington there's more to do, even if it is abit of a dive.

41 minutes ago, SSD said:

Might get shot at dawn but I didn't rate Filey at all. It's good if you was staying at the Haven Caravan park and for walking the dogs on the beach (when it was allowed). Stupidly steep hill down to the beach, nothing going on in the town. Chippy was naff. Nothing on the sea front.

oh no acorntv exclusive GIF by Acorn TV

I think the thing is the time of british holiday resorts in their traditional sense has long past with the availability of cheap air travel and reliable climate overseas, but, they've not yet reinvented themselves for our current times. There are wonderful places in britain to visit and whilst "familiarity breeds contempt" as they say, tak a step back, there's great heritage and beauty across britain.

For saying that, Weston-super-total-effing-mare was a rum place to visit.

I'm also going to offend someone but I'm going to say the lake district. Why? Becuse it's impossible to expreience what it should be as there's far too many people there to be able to do that. especially if you only visit kendal,keswick and the old man of coniston.

1 hour ago, SSD said:

I went to Filey once, it was closed.

1 minute ago, bimmerman said:

Plymouth is grim, don't understand why anyone would holiday there

Also, Ilfracombe is surprisingly rough with a big drug problem 

Had a 3 night break in Plymouth around 10 years ago. Absolutely loved it. The weather was great, we had a rental with great views over the Sound and a short walk up to the Hoe. The old harbour was brilliant for an afternoon/early evening session alfresco and the Lido was great fun.

Not been to Ilfracombe since I was a kid but have fond memories of the tunnel beach natural swimming pool. 

3 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Had a 3 night break in Plymouth around 10 years ago. Absolutely loved it. The weather was great, we had a rental with great views over the Sound and a short walk up to the Hoe. The old harbour was brilliant for an afternoon/early evening session alfresco and the Lido was great fun.

Not been to Ilfracombe since I was a kid but have fond memories of the tunnel beach natural swimming pool. 

Ilfracombe has become a real drug oriented town with low employment, and Plymouth has become surprisingly one of the most deprived areas in the UK through the lock downs and since, it's become really grim. 

Torquay is fast on that road as well. 

Areas that focus on the hospitality and tourism trade in the south west really haven't started to recover from 2020 yet

9 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think the thing is the time of british holiday resorts in their traditional sense has long past with the availability of cheap air travel and reliable climate overseas, but, they've not yet reinvented themselves for our current times. There are wonderful places in britain to visit and whilst "familiarity breeds contempt" as they say, tak a step back, there's great heritage and beauty across britain.

For saying that, Weston-super-total-effing-mare was a rum place to visit.

I'm also going to offend someone but I'm going to say the lake district. Why? Becuse it's impossible to expreience what it should be as there's far too many people there to be able to do that. especially if you only visit kendal,keswick and the old man of coniston.

I love England we have so much going for us, Unfortunately the local Councils and the Government and add in some of the British clientele and there's a storm brewing, It's not called the "English Disease" for nowt, We've exported our home traits to far off lands, Spanish Costas/Canary Islands/Greek islands taking a pounding, I've sat and watched our social groups of males/females wreak havoc when abroad, Not seen the same in Austria, Italy, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal, Malta, Belgium.

And then we wonder why we get Nil Points in the EU song contest 😁   

9 hours ago, bimmerman said:

Agreed, We had a wedding there where you walked through a cave system to get to a private beach...a cracking place that was, But as for Ilfracombe on a par with plenty of other English resorts 👎

image.png.287276356c8067d36ec8288c0f9d0fbe.png

This was the view from my B&B room in Rhyl back in October. That brown thing in the distance is the sea. As I said earlier, it was cleaner and calmer than I remember it from numerous trips in the 80s and early 90s.

I go to Butlins Skegness a couple of times a year, but never leave the resort so cannot comment on the place.

10 hours ago, bimmerman said:

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I went to Plymouth just under 2 years ago with the wife and babies and thought it was great too. Weather was fantastic when I went and may have been the hottest week of the year. 

12 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I agree. I liked Plymouth for all the things you’ve said. Can’t understand anyone putting that on their worst list. 

Been on a lot of caravan holidays over the years... you soon figure out which operators and areas to avoid. 

The worst was in Combe Martin - a lovely area - but the caravan park must've been tired in the 70's. If persons fleeing war were put up for free at that site there'd be national uproar. I was stitched up with a real stinker of a van... on opening the door it smelled like a business of ferrets had recently vacated, or a pair of geriatric and incontinent honey monsters!

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

image.png.287276356c8067d36ec8288c0f9d0fbe.png

This was the view from my B&B room in Rhyl back in October. That brown thing in the distance is the sea. As I said earlier, it was cleaner and calmer than I remember it from numerous trips in the 80s and early 90s.

I go to Butlins Skegness a couple of times a year, but never leave the resort so cannot comment on the place.

Corner house cafe next door is alright, Rhyl is improving visually a lot of wonga gone in in the last 10 years, but the clientele is still rough.

19 hours ago, bimmerman said:

I worked for a business whose HQs were in Plymouth so was down there a fair bit. 

The area around The Barbican seemed pretty nice, I usually stayed in a hotel in Roborough which is North Plymouth or maybe just outside of the city limits and that was a very nice area. 

Guess its like saying if you go to West Bridgford for a weekend you don't contemplate that the rest of Nottingham is an absolute hole.